Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are those little black flies with pointy butts the dreaded Fungus Gnats?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times
    Provided Answers: 12

Default Answered: Are those little black flies with pointy butts the dreaded Fungus Gnats?

Not seen them in the tent area but have had that one landing on my phone whilst I do some reading before bed for about 2 nights in a row.

I have looked online but photos online seem to vary somewhat, with varying wing lengths, and body types

These little guys are about 2-3 mm in length, with distinct head-thorax-abdomen with a pointy butt, their bodies are black in colour. My window is open but I sleep some way from the tent, I do have normal outdoor plants outside the window and some stagnant water.

I have neem oil ready and fly papers will be ordered next working day.

Shall I also order Diatomaceous earth?
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

2. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    Not seen them in the tent area but have had that one landing on my phone whilst I do some reading before bed for about 2 nights in a row.

I have looked online but photos online seem to vary somewhat, with varying wing lengths, and body types

These little guys are about 2-3 mm in length, with distinct head-thorax-abdomen with a pointy butt, their bodies are black in colour. My window is open but I sleep some way from the tent, I do have normal outdoor plants outside the window and some stagnant water.

Was it like this? Loads of sticky traps. The odd spray of fly killer. And if your too impatient....get some gnatt off.
    A wouldnt worry Val....they one of the easiest pests to get rid of

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk"

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

AND (21-08-19), GEORGE (21-08-19), RASTA (21-08-19), Sadface (21-08-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 59,501 Times
    Provided Answers: 24

Was it like this? Loads of sticky traps. The odd spray of fly killer. And if your too impatient....get some gnatt off.
    A wouldnt worry Val....they one of the easiest pests to get rid of

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RASTA For This Useful Post:

AND (21-08-19), GEORGE (21-08-19), IceCalibur (21-08-19), Valentina (21-08-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,416 Times
    Provided Answers: 22

Looks like a mossie lol

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sadface For This Useful Post:

AND (21-08-19), GEORGE (21-08-19), IceCalibur (21-08-19), UpT0wn (21-08-19), Valentina (21-08-19)

8. Default

Hi Valentina, could very well be fungus gnats..not the end of the world if it is, but you obviously don't want an infestation..treatment is easy though so it's all good

I created a thread on making a Home Made Fungus Gnat Trap you may find useful - Linky

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-08-19), M_C (14-09-19), Sadface (21-08-19), Valentina (21-08-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times
    Provided Answers: 29

Sticky traps & diatomaceous will do you Val, they lay eggs just under surface of medium so will get ripped apart on the way up

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-08-19), IceCalibur (21-08-19), Sadface (21-08-19), UpT0wn (21-08-19), Valentina (21-08-19)

Thanks

Thanks, Rasta, Sadface, Ice, AND. Yeah, seen that pic online, I'd say about 60% similar. The ones that I have seen have slimmer wings, smaller thorax, shorter legs, and the butt comes to a rather distinct pointy end looking from above.

They are pretty text book bug looking, as in, school biology and the first time we learnt about insect anatomy. That's why I was not "triggered" a few nights ago. I am getting a bit more concerned now though...

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

AND (21-08-19), GEORGE (21-08-19), IceCalibur (21-08-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,416 Times
    Provided Answers: 22

Where we're on bugs ..where do spring tails come from ..I've had em only once or twice never treated em as led to beleive they don't do harm...are they another pest that arrives in our shop bought medium same as fungus knats

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sadface For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Hi Valentina, could very well be fungus gnats..not the end of the world if it is, but you obviously don't want an infestation..treatment is easy though so it's all good

I created a thread on making a Home Made Fungus Gnat Trap you may find useful - Linky
    Ice, that is effin' awesome!! Thanks! Gonna steal it now LOL!!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sadface View Post
    Where we're on bugs ..where do spring tails come from ..I've had em only once or twice never treated em as led to beleive they don't do harm...are they another pest that arrives in our shop bought medium same as fungus knats
    Springtails are in most peoples gardens, brought into the home Sad mate..but for sure they can 'hatch' from shop-bought mediums too, they can jump really high and you'll find them near water most times.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

AND (21-08-19), GEORGE (21-08-19), Sadface (21-08-19), Valentina (21-08-19)

20. Default

Ice, that is effin' awesome!! Thanks! Gonna steal it now LOL!!
    You're more than welcome Valentina, let us know how you get on

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

AND (21-08-19), GEORGE (21-08-19), Valentina (21-08-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast