Thread: Hoop house cooling

Thanks

Default Hoop house cooling

Hey all, I am starting to get materials ready to build a hoop house to extend my next growing season and protect my plants from mold problems in Sept/Oct.

The main concern I have is heat buildup in the greenhouse June through August where the heat index is often over 100°F.

I was thinking I could forgo end doors and keep the ends open to the breeze but sometimes during these months there is barely any air movement.

I am thinking my best bet is to get some knitted shade cloth and drape it over the hoop house. This is where my question comes in. Should I drape it over the poly or take the completely off and just have the shade cloth over the hoops? This decision will affect the design of the hoop house.

Also, I do not want to take the poly off the hoops without having a shade cloth on to slow down the winds and protect the plants from hale. Last year I had them in the timber which protected them but next year it is legal for me to grow and I will have them in the middle of a field.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sir Hammerlock For This Useful Post:

G' (19-09-19), GEORGE (30-08-19)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hammerlock View Post
    Hey all, I am starting to get materials ready to build a hoop house to extend my next growing season and protect my plants from mold problems in Sept/Oct.

The main concern I have is heat buildup in the greenhouse June through August where the heat index is often over 100°F.

I was thinking I could forgo end doors and keep the ends open to the breeze but sometimes during these months there is barely any air movement.

I am thinking my best bet is to get some knitted shade cloth and drape it over the hoop house. This is where my question comes in. Should I drape it over the poly or take the completely off and just have the shade cloth over the hoops? This decision will affect the design of the hoop house.

Also, I do not want to take the poly off the hoops without having a shade cloth on to slow down the winds and protect the plants from hale. Last year I had them in the timber which protected them but next year it is legal for me to grow and I will have them in the middle of a field.

I've been scratching my head to what a 'hoop house' is, I was picturing all kinds of things and I googled it to find it's basically a polytunnel! lol

I have absolutely zero experience with them, but would it be possible you could have the ends completely open during those hot temps, then close them off for the winter somehow?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

G' (19-09-19), GEORGE (30-08-19), Sir Hammerlock (30-08-19), WF420 (19-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

Watch out for humidity if using one....
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

G' (19-09-19), GEORGE (30-08-19), IceCalibur (30-08-19), Sir Hammerlock (30-08-19), WF420 (19-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    I've been scratching my head to what a 'hoop house' is, I was picturing all kinds of things and I googled it to find it's basically a polytunnel! lol

I have absolutely zero experience with them, but would it be possible you could have the ends completely open during those hot temps, then close them off for the winter somehow?
    I am planning on leaving them open. If I do not take it completely off and put the shade cloth over it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sir Hammerlock For This Useful Post:

G' (19-09-19), GEORGE (30-08-19), IceCalibur (30-08-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

I have a mate that uses a hoop house/poly tunnel to grow show leeks and in the hotter months he has it rigged so he can roll up the bottom of both sides 3' or 4' and he puts the close woven shading net on the opened up bottom that and doors open each end suits him perfectly, just a thought for you to ponder over brother, all the best, G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-09-19), IceCalibur (19-09-19), M_C (19-09-19), WF420 (19-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Hoop hoise as in caterpillar tunnels ?

Open each end . And every so interval have a break

Or if its bigger . Have Louvres on each wall

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

G' (20-09-19), GEORGE (19-09-19)