Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Think I'm shit at growing in nft...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladymaryjane View Post
    Hello again mate, from what you have said, I think you're bang on with your analysis. A combination of almost drowning along with room temps getting too high.

Now, if you use the spacer from a pizza box, circle side down, placing the block around 1cm above the surface of the tray, you will avoid saturating the block when it's first added to the tank in future. Make sure it is almost dry, only damp when you put it in.

The roots will find the water mate, they do not have to sit on the mat. And there is enough water already in the block to keep it going until the roots hit the tray.

Now, as for the pump, instead of turning it on and off etc.....it would be better to leave it running 24/7, but turn the flow of the water down until your root-mat is established.

But keep the water moving at all times.

I'm not really a fan of letting it sit still too long, as it could go stagnant.

With nft, you are looking to get as thin a film of water as possible at first, not a raging torrent, until they are ready to kick off, meaning plenty of roots, then turn your pump back up.
    Good tip on the pizza box spacer, thanks for the other tips as well I will carry these on to the next grow

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thegrower1 For This Useful Post:

British green (07-09-19), GEORGE (06-09-19), Greengrass (07-09-19), ladymaryjane (06-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EvilScotsm@n View Post
    Hiya buddy im an NFT grower. Profile pic is an auto i done that way.
    The first thing absolutely screaming at me is in picture no3. You want like 30litres per hour flowing out of that manifold. I could almost surf that wave lol.

Second is that your plants are dying from the bottom up.with spattered dead patches., that sadly means the roots are knackered IMO. The tops will stay alive the longest. They may even recover but its a coin toss to be honest.
    If you look at the pic of just the rockwool you can see the plant is already dying off and that theres brown stuff growing in the roots.
    Was doomed from the start i reckon .

Few questions to help me understand and advise though...
    how often do you empty and clean the res?
    Are you using a product to keep the res healthy? Hydroguard z7,sm-90 etc?
    are you using an airpump?
    What ppm feed do you put in and at what ph?
    Do the ppm and ph numbers rise or fall?

In all honesty i think youre screwed mate and would be better starting again but answer that lot anyway.
    Ill set you back on track if its doable and make sure it doesnt happen again.
    Youll know very shortly if its salvageable

In the thread under my name, im about to share as much as i can about the subject. Wont be kicking off for another week or so but tag in mate . Ill help you get it right next time
    Oh yep I always run a air stone in each tray as well mate

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thegrower1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thegrower1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply mate! I'm using the pumps that come with the nft 604 system so are them pumps not big enough?

I change res every 7-10 days, I don't use anything to keep it a sterile system I tried once in rdwc and I didnt get as much root mass as I did when using voodoo juice and tnc mycorr (mycorr does strain roots brown) so this is why my roots have always been slightly brown when growing in any hyrdo system... Also pH to around 6 and let it swing, normally I find in beg it swings down and in flower it swings up, this is the case now.

Appreciate all your help looks like these will be going in the bin, can't get hold of any decent cuts just yet so I'll leave them in for the time being tho

Hello again mate. After reading this, I've spotted something else you need to consider. You also have a problem with your Ph!

Don't set it to 6.0, set it to 5.5-5.6 and then you should let it drift up to 6.2-6.3 and then take it back to 5.5-5.6 etc.... This allows maximum uptake of all nutrients. If they have not been below 6.0 throughout the grow they will not have taken up calcium and magnesium in sufficient quantities.

As for the ec, set it 0.2 above your background to start, then watch the plants and only raise it, again by 0.2 if the leaves start to go pale. If they go darker, back off the feed by 0.1. But the ph is the most important factor, along with the growing environment of course.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladymaryjane For This Useful Post:

British green (07-09-19), GEORGE (06-09-19)

Thanks

Yeah pw is right mate, that was why I asked about the pH. Should go up in veg then down in bloom. If it's not then your ppm is too high so must be rising.
    You want the ppm to always be dropping just a little. That keeps the pH in range for the longest possible time.
    If you can keep the ppm right you shouldn't ever need to adjust the pH out with top ups or Res change day.
    Sweet spot for that size will be about 300ppm or 0.6ec plus your water.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EvilScotsm@n For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-09-19), thegrower1 (17-10-19)

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply I ended up giving up on them just waiting to get some new clones and I'll try again

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thegrower1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-09-19), M_C (17-09-19)

Thanks

I've got some clones coming in the next 2 weeks, when I do get them what's the best way of starting them off in the nft and getting them to grow away happily, please answer any questions below...

In the photo that's how much I rooted them before putting them into the system, is this ok or do they need more roots?

Once I put them into the system do I run the pump 24/7 straight away?

I'm using the standard 1000 pump that comes with the 604 systems, is this pump big enough?

The trays have a factory set slope is this OK or do I need to slope the trays more?

Thanks for any help and advice I appreciate it!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thegrower1 For This Useful Post:

British green (17-09-19), GEORGE (17-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

If possible at the points on the trays where you place the cubes. Build some clay pebble mounds. Then run the system and add or remove from the mounds so you can see moisture but you can tell the cubes aren't going too get soaked.
    Keep the water running to wash any residue off the pebbles.
    Clean and set ya res up . Personally I'd just feed them rhizo until the roots are established at 0.2 above base and ph of 5.8 .
    Have a timer running the pump 15mins on 15mins off .
    Once you have seen the ec dropping and you know the roots are established start feeding them.

You need the roots to go looking for that water and if the cubes get too wet they don't kneed too . Although they have to remain moist.

You'll find two of the above members are now banned

in a green and pleasant land

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-09-19), IceCalibur (17-09-19), thegrower1 (18-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    If possible at the points on the trays where you place the cubes. Build some clay pebble mounds. Then run the system and add or remove from the mounds so you can see moisture but you can tell the cubes aren't going too get soaked.
    Keep the water running to wash any residue off the pebbles.
    Clean and set ya res up . Personally I'd just feed them rhizo until the roots are established at 0.2 above base and ph of 5.8 .
    Have a timer running the pump 15mins on 15mins off .
    Once you have seen the ec dropping and you know the roots are established start feeding them.

You need the roots to go looking for that water and if the cubes get too wet they don't kneed too . Although they have to remain moist.

You'll find two of the above members are now banned

in a green and pleasant land
    Cheers mate thanks for the tips on the clay pebbles I'll do that

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thegrower1 For This Useful Post:

British green (18-09-19), GEORGE (18-09-19)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2