Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: any plumbers/heating experts

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    I installed my first Boiler in 1999 for one of my customers . I was 19 . Still running strong . Its a dettson made in Canada and the only thing i ever have to do is basic service like adjusting the oil burner .change nozzles and oil filter .adjust damper on flue . Damn thing will last another 20 yrs if not more .

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Oil fired boilers totally different game mate...Ive got one from 1960 still working well...nothing to them as you said, adjust burner, change nozzles & damper...done

Wish it was that easy with the lastest gas condensing boilers...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-09-19), IceCalibur (06-09-19), Trex (06-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AND View Post
    Haha...looks like I came home at right time, lol

Nightmare boilers

Is there a seperate thermostat ? If so and its off you wont get heating...edit : never mind 1st pic 'c' on display is calling for heating...

Failing that...I would start with the pump, take screw out of centre, put screwdriver in hole and turn pump shaft...usually they sludge up if not used and its the 2nd fire up after the fan...after that Cliftons Diverter valve is a likely culprit...If you have hot water, it wont be pressure related. It could also be the actuator on top of the valve or possibly whole valve could be descaled and not require replacing but to do that you would have to remove it...approx £110 to replace and an hours work

Diverter is not a job for a diy either...
    Are u gas Safe m8 gd to know thers builders on here that could knock jobs out got to be better than bringing a random lad to the groom

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clifton For This Useful Post:

AND (06-09-19), GEORGE (06-09-19), IceCalibur (06-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
    Are u gas Safe m8 gd to know thers builders on here that could knock jobs out got to be better than bringing a random lad to the groom
    Nope...I too have a man I call, lol (which I have to add, I end up diagnosing for him sometimes too)...37 years of practice though and haven't had a job not passed yet

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-09-19)

Thanks

Nope...I too have a man I call, lol (which I have to add, I end up diagnosing for him sometimes too)...37 years of practice though and haven't had a job not passed yet
    Pms funny you say that the sludgy elbow on the copper tank I mentioned I spent an hour looking for the problem then rang ma plumber pal we then spent another 2 hours trying to find the issue in the end I called ma dad who was a plumber at the time the tanks were the best in the biz he mentioned sediment build ups and I found the elbow it was in plumber pal still tracking pipe in the loft lol
    I don't quit have 37 years lol but I do like to think I know ma onions when it comes to the trades

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifton For This Useful Post:

AND (06-09-19), GEORGE (06-09-19)

Thanks

Plastering being my first trade feckin hate it now though

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifton For This Useful Post:

AND (06-09-19), GEORGE (06-09-19)

Thanks

Pms funny you say that the sludgy elbow on the copper tank I mentioned I spent an hour looking for the problem then rang ma plumber pal we then spent another 2 hours trying to find the issue in the end I called ma dad who was a plumber at the time the tanks were the best in the biz he mentioned sediment build ups and I found the elbow it was in plumber pal still tracking pipe in the loft lol
    I don't quit have 37 years lol but I do like to think I know ma onions when it comes to the trades
    Sludge is a standard fault on all heating systems where copper, steel & water are together...and the main reason most combis fail as some of the waterways inside boiler are tiny...usual fix is a new boiler...leaving all the shit in the pipework to be pumped around the new boiler when its commisioned leading to failures months down the line...

Problem these days, is like you mention, not a lot of plumbers who have experience of the old systems and LOADS of 'part replacement' heating engineers who couldn't diagnose a problem if it was hanging off their nose...Homeserve spring to mind

Like you I do all trades from the ground up...couldn't do the one trade all day...would do my nut in...then it would be easy 2 oz a week

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-09-19)

Thanks

Plastering being my first trade feckin hate it now though
    KBB's here

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Oil fired boilers totally different game mate...Ive got one from 1960 still working well...nothing to them as you said, adjust burner, change nozzles & damper...done

Wish it was that easy with the lastest gas condensing boilers...
    Condensing boilers are an absolute nightmare . Always crackin . Just standard boilers .

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

AND (07-09-19), GEORGE (07-09-19)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4