Thread: Greetings and advice request

Thanks

Default Greetings and advice request

Hello All,

This is my third year growing (exclusively outdoors, in a legal-to-grow state) but first year growing "Blue Dream" -- I'm looking for some advice for time to harvest this strain. These buds (see photo) aren't as big or full as what I'm used to seeing, though they are starting to look "done" to me. How much longer should I give them? I've made the mistake of letting buds get overly-mature in the past, and don't want to repeat that mistake. I'm happy to share more photos.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-cnegrower

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120923.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	375469

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cnegrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-09-19), ToughCall (23-03-22)

3. Default

Hello cnegrower, welcome to the forum and nice to have you here

Your girl doesn't look ready to come down, but you will really need to purchase a microscope or loupe with at least 60x magnification to check the trichomes..they will give you a good indication on when to chop ;

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

cnegrower (07-09-19), GEORGE (08-09-19), Jumper114 (07-09-19), Kurdt (08-09-19), ladymaryjane (07-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

Four to six weeks at a guess!
    Current Grow (3L coco autos) : Jumper's 2020 shenanigans

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

cnegrower (07-09-19), GEORGE (08-09-19), ladymaryjane (07-09-19), ToughCall (23-03-22)

Thanks

Default Thanks for the advice!

Thanks IceCalibur and Jumper114! Right, I forgot all about trichome color... The reason being that my first year, the strain I was growing (a local cultivar with unknown genetics) had trichomes that never went beyond a very pale, almost still clear white -- and that was leaving them out until *after* our first light frost in October (that strain is frost hardy, and the cold makes it turn pretty colors) They sure were nice though, and oddly enough, I noticed that the buds I harvested early actually tasted better and were stronger than the ones I left until the last minute... though none of them ever turned anything like amber.

Same for the Super Silver Haze I grew last year: Trichomes never really got very milky, so I let them go as long as I dared: even bringing one of them inside (I had one in a pot and one in the ground) and again, the bud I harvested early was better in almost every way.

I just looked at this plant and most of the trichomes are definitely milky white. I figure I should have 3-4 weeks left of good growing weather (except for the coming rains) so I'm going to let most of the buds go, but will probably harvest some buds before the next heavy rain (due in a few days) -- I love to experiment -- I've had issues with bud rot before too, though spraying the plants with baking soda & water (1/4 tsp in a pint) before each rain has worked so far this year, though this summer has been quite dry overall.

This is also the first year I've used liquid fertilizer -- and OH MY GOD what a difference, especially in the veg phase. I have a Gelato that is 12 feet tall and has more colas than I can count. Unfortunately it's covered with mostly very small buds... though maybe that's just how Gelato grows? That one is definitely getting left till the last minute (pic attached)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120924.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	375470

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cnegrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-09-19), Jumper114 (07-09-19), ToughCall (23-03-22)

Thanks

Hello mate, your girl looks very happy there, nice work. As said by Ice and Jumper, they do have a way to go yet, in fact I cant even see one brown pistil, and all I would add to what has been said already is if you don't have a loupe, then harvest when around 85-95% of the pistils have darkened and are starting to pull back into the calyxes.

Hope this helps mate.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladymaryjane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks ladymaryjane! That's a nice rule of thumb, thanks! There are a some buds that you can't see in that pic that do have brown pistils, but only like 10 or 20% at most. I'll use that as a guide. Hope they get there in my short growing season, if not, I'm sure they'll be nice anyway

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cnegrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-09-19), IceCalibur (07-09-19), ladymaryjane (07-09-19), ToughCall (23-03-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cnegrower View Post
    Thanks ladymaryjane! That's a nice rule of thumb, thanks! There are a some buds that you can't see in that pic that do have brown pistils, but only like 10 or 20% at most. I'll use that as a guide. Hope they get there in my short growing season, if not, I'm sure they'll be nice anyway
    No problem mate, glad it helped you. Here's to the harvest and I reckon she will smoke as good as she looks!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladymaryjane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have already read a lot of information about Blue Dream at AskGrowers and Leafly. They have incredible and positive effects such as happiness and euphoria. I've tried it once and I had amazing feelings. You will not be disappointed. Good Luck with growing.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billmontoya For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-04-20), ToughCall (23-03-22)

Thanks

growing outdoors must be the most chill thing, I've been thinking of moving so I can do it

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GanjaMon1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-05-20), ToughCall (23-03-22)