Thread: Rhizopot confusion

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,958 Times

Default Rhizopot confusion

Hi I'm about to start my first grow properly but could do with some clarity on potting or repotting seedlings. I got 2 x 12L rhizo pots with my kit but I've read there are rhizopots for planting and propagation, on the site I used under rhizopots section they have listed 1 Ltr and 2 Ltr propagation pots then 3.8-78 Ltr pots don't have propagation next to them

Also read that the roots grow out the side and thats how you know its time to just dump the rhizopot in soil in a bigger pot, thats how I interpreted it anyway.

So am I right in thinking as I have the 12 Ltr pot I germinate, move to 12 Ltr rhizo straight away when it's popped out its shell and keep it in that until it harvests or needs putting into a bigger pot?

Or do I use a small pot from germination ( would be a plastic plant pot) then when its a bit bigger move it to the 12 Ltr rhizo until harvest or it needs repotting? The rhizo pots I have don't have handles like pictures I've seen, not sure if thats significant .

I put a photo of the soil label and the rhizo pot

Just in case you need to know The soil going in is a Tropic mix and this is their description:

"Soil grower? Push growth & rooting with Tropic Mix. It’s the best soil mix to use.

It’s 40% coco, 60% peat and contains both calcium & magnesium at just the right ratio (2:1)

It’ll hold a lot of water, since it’s 60% fine grade Irish peat. For strong rooting, the mix is 40% high grade coco - ithis gives it a light & airy structure.

It’s easy to dispose of once used - there’s no perlite in Tropic Mix. There are no woody bits either, to help you avoid fungus gnats!

To prevent deficiencies & enhance nutrient uptake, Tropic Mix contains an actual magnesium limestone, a rich source of calcium & magnesium! The coco has been buffered with calcium, too! All Ca & Mg is released slowly so is available to plants over 9 months.

Forget about pH dips or spikes - the peat is treated with lime to raise the pH to 6.5 (ideal). As for the coco, it’s incredibly stable. The magnesium limestone balances your pH, too!"

How accurate all of that is we will see.

So yeh just some clarity please, saw a cple threads mentioning rhizopot but not really what I needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rhiz.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	375810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soil.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	375812  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCannab1sir View Post
    Hi I'm about to start my first grow properly but could do with some clarity on potting or repotting seedlings. I got 2 x 12L rhizo pots with my kit but I've read there are rhizopots for planting and propagation, on the site I used under rhizopots section they have listed 1 Ltr and 2 Ltr propagation pots then 3.8-78 Ltr pots don't have propagation next to them

Also read that the roots grow out the side and thats how you know its time to just dump the rhizopot in soil in a bigger pot, thats how I interpreted it anyway.

So am I right in thinking as I have the 12 Ltr pot I germinate, move to 12 Ltr rhizo straight away when it's popped out its shell and keep it in that until it harvests or needs putting into a bigger pot?

Or do I use a small pot from germination ( would be a plastic plant pot) then when its a bit bigger move it to the 12 Ltr rhizo until harvest or it needs repotting? The rhizo pots I have don't have handles like pictures I've seen, not sure if thats significant .

I put a photo of the soil label and the rhizo pot

Just in case you need to know The soil going in is a Tropic mix and this is their description:

"Soil grower? Push growth & rooting with Tropic Mix. It’s the best soil mix to use.

It’s 40% coco, 60% peat and contains both calcium & magnesium at just the right ratio (2:1)

It’ll hold a lot of water, since it’s 60% fine grade Irish peat. For strong rooting, the mix is 40% high grade coco - ithis gives it a light & airy structure.

It’s easy to dispose of once used - there’s no perlite in Tropic Mix. There are no woody bits either, to help you avoid fungus gnats!

To prevent deficiencies & enhance nutrient uptake, Tropic Mix contains an actual magnesium limestone, a rich source of calcium & magnesium! The coco has been buffered with calcium, too! All Ca & Mg is released slowly so is available to plants over 9 months.

Forget about pH dips or spikes - the peat is treated with lime to raise the pH to 6.5 (ideal). As for the coco, it’s incredibly stable. The magnesium limestone balances your pH, too!"

How accurate all of that is we will see.

So yeh just some clarity please, saw a cple threads mentioning rhizopot but not really what I needed.
    Oh I'll be trying to grow 2 autos

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (24-09-19), GEORGE (23-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

You can start them in small starter pots if you like but it’s sometimes best to start in the final pots to avoid stressing them. The 12L you have should be fine.

I’ve used this tropic mix before you’ll make it to stretch/early flower without feed

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (24-09-19), GEORGE (24-09-19), MrC (24-09-19)

Thanks

Thanks man, good to know you've used the mix too, wasn't sure how good it would be as it was a bundle deal.

And I reckon I'll put them straight in the 12L pot from germ, had a practice seed sprout in the 12L pot with the tropic mix from germinated so should be good.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    You can start them in small starter pots if you like but it’s sometimes best to start in the final pots to avoid stressing them. The 12L you have should be fine.

I’ve used this tropic mix before you’ll make it to stretch/early flower without feed
    What kind of watering regime would I give a new plant thats just sprouted in a 12L rhizopot? Reading a lot of contradicting articles about watering. Really want to screw up as little as possible from the off.

Am I supposed to water it until it pours out the bottom? Like a litre or something, then do the finger in the soil test and watch the leaves to see as and when to water it from then on?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Blue (26-09-19), GEORGE (26-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MrCannab1sir View Post
    What kind of watering regime would I give a new plant thats just sprouted in a 12L rhizopot? Reading a lot of contradicting articles about watering. Really want to screw up as little as possible from the off.

Am I supposed to water it until it pours out the bottom? Like a litre or something, then do the finger in the soil test and watch the leaves to see as and when to water it from then on?
    The tropic mix holds a lot of moisture with the added coco so best to water lightly to begin with.

.Use a water spray bottle to start. Mist the seed hole and the area close to it.

.Repeat the above once it’s sprouted until your sure it’s put some roots down.

.Once rooted water lightly in the centre and around the edges of the pot. This will encourage your roots to search out for moisture.

.Once it’s established within the pot do a wet to slightly dry cycle. Wet the medium and allow it to dry a little before the next water.

. Keep the amount of water used low, your not looking to drench soil, No run off until late veg/early flower.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-09-19), MrC (26-09-19), scoobywho (26-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    The tropic mix holds a lot of moisture with the added coco so best to water lightly to begin with.

.Use a water spray bottle to start. Mist the seed hole and the area close to it.

.Repeat the above once it’s sprouted until your sure it’s put some roots down.

.Once rooted water lightly in the centre and around the edges of the pot. This will encourage your roots to search out for moisture.

.Once it’s established within the pot do a wet to slightly dry cycle. Wet the medium and allow it to dry a little before the next water.

. Keep the amount of water used low, your not looking to drench soil, No run off until late veg/early flower.
    Thanks man thats helped massively, I would have drowned it in 2 litres or something

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-09-19)