Thread: Filter size help

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,032 Times

Default Answered: Filter size help

Hi all hope your good,

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but i cant seem to find it

Can someone tell me if the 150/300 size filter is ok to use? My fan is 150mm. Air volume flow rate: 500 m³/h. The room size is 3.5x6x8 ft

Will i get away with the smaller one even for a couple of grows and then ill have the funds for the bigger one?

Ill be growing a max of 4 smallish plants at a time

Kind regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. "There are the volumes mate, if it were me i would be going for the 600 over the 300, i know the values a lot higher than needed but if your fan was to run full tilt the filter wouldnt be able to keep up with scrubbing the air

Edit: also, if youre ordering from Holland Hydro, use discount code prod15 for 15% off everytime i leave their site i get sent a code now "

3. The Following User Says Thank You to skunkybudmans For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,614 Times
    Provided Answers: 6

I cant comment on filter size as math was never my strong point but i cant over emphasize enough about having a decent filter. Ive not heard of that particular brand before but I would recommend mountain air filters. Many people use rhino pro filters with no issues but ive had smell problems in the past using them. A good filter is crucial,yes they are more expensive but if smells are going to be an issue for you, it's money well spent.Ive had crappy ones in the past and they just arnt cut out for the job.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kurdt For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-10-19), skunkybudmans (05-10-19), Stickysticky (05-10-19), Valentina (05-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Like Kurdt maths is not my strong point but everything he has said is great advice.

Defiantly do not go for a cheap brand I started with Rhino but now run CarboAir from onestopgrowshop they are far superior to Rhino.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

Done420 (05-10-19), GEORGE (05-10-19), Kurdt (05-10-19), skunkybudmans (05-10-19), Stickysticky (05-10-19), Valentina (05-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,502 Times

I started off with cheap ox carbon filter to get me started came in a kit so I got the fan and ducting with it aswell. It was cheap probably about 40-70 quid in total (can't fully remember). It done the job for about two grows but seemed to make the room smell weird from the start but it was shit compared to my mountain air one I have now. I'd say Your going to at least need to buy one that is the right size or it may not handle the amount of air passing through from the outtake fan, if you bought a decent one you would probably save money in the long run

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-10-19), Kurdt (05-10-19), skunkybudmans (05-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,502 Times

I think the carbon filter you stated 150/300 has a airflow rate of 470m3/hr

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-10-19), Kurdt (05-10-19), skunkybudmans (05-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,402 Times
    Provided Answers: 14

There are the volumes mate, if it were me i would be going for the 600 over the 300, i know the values a lot higher than needed but if your fan was to run full tilt the filter wouldnt be able to keep up with scrubbing the air

Edit: also, if youre ordering from Holland Hydro, use discount code prod15 for 15% off everytime i leave their site i get sent a code now

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

British green (05-10-19), GEORGE (05-10-19), IceCalibur (05-10-19), Kurdt (05-10-19), M_C (05-10-19), skunkybudmans (05-10-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kurdt View Post
    I cant comment on filter size as math was never my strong point but i cant over emphasize enough about having a decent filter. Ive not heard of that particular brand before but I would recommend mountain air filters. Many people use rhino pro filters with no issues but ive had smell problems in the past using them. A good filter is crucial,yes they are more expensive but if smells are going to be an issue for you, it's money well spent.Ive had crappy ones in the past and they just arnt cut out for the job.
    Thanks mate i was recommended the filter brand i think it was gaz and British green ill go for the bigger one
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickysticky View Post
    I started off with cheap ox carbon filter to get me started came in a kit so I got the fan and ducting with it aswell. It was cheap probably about 40-70 quid in total (can't fully remember). It done the job for about two grows but seemed to make the room smell weird from the start but it was shit compared to my mountain air one I have now. I'd say Your going to at least need to buy one that is the right size or it may not handle the amount of air passing through from the outtake fan, if you bought a decent one you would probably save money in the long run

i had that same filter on my first grow mate got it in a kit with a terrible fan haha

Quote Originally Posted by Stickysticky View Post
    I think the carbon filter you stated 150/300 has a airflow rate of 470m3/hr

Quote Originally Posted by WF420 View Post
    There are the volumes mate, if it were me i would be going for the 600 over the 300, i know the values a lot higher than needed but if your fan was to run full tilt the filter wouldnt be able to keep up with scrubbing the air

Edit: also, if youre ordering from Holland Hydro, use discount code prod15 for 15% off everytime i leave their site i get sent a code now

Thanks mate ill go for the 600, do you use extraction while vegging or just whilst flowering ? I want to start my grow but wont have he filter or ducting for a couple weeks lol

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skunkybudmans For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-10-19), Kurdt (05-10-19), MrC (05-10-19), WF420 (05-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,614 Times

Some plants can smell during mid-late veg so you'll be fine for a couple of weeks.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kurdt For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-10-19), MrC (05-10-19), skunkybudmans (05-10-19), WF420 (05-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,402 Times
    Provided Answers: 14

Quote Originally Posted by skunkybudmans View Post
    Thanks mate ill go for the 600, do you use extraction while vegging or just whilst flowering ? I want to start my grow but wont have he filter or ducting for a couple weeks lol

For the first week or so youll get away without extraction as the plants will only be small so wont need that much air exchange

As for the carbon filter, i wouldnt hang it until the back end of veg as smells dont really start to develop until then and the higher rh needed can cause the carbon to degrade faster

And i know both BG and Gaz use kaizen filters so can vouch for them doing the job!

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

British green (05-10-19), GEORGE (05-10-19), MrC (05-10-19), skunkybudmans (05-10-19), toblue (05-10-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kurdt View Post
    Some plants can smell during mid-late veg so you'll be fine for a couple of weeks.
    Thanks bud
    Quote Originally Posted by WF420 View Post
    For the first week or so youll get away without extraction as the plants will only be small so wont need that much air exchange

As for the carbon filter, i wouldnt hang it until the back end of veg as smells dont really start to develop until then and the higher rh needed can cause the carbon to degrade faster

And i know both BG and Gaz use kaizen filters so can vouch for them doing the job!
    Appreciate the help mate cheers

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skunkybudmans For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-10-19), WF420 (05-10-19)