Thread: RDWC Question

Thanks

Default RDWC Question

I am wondering why all the RDWC setups I see involve a central reservoir, I’m thinking it’s a cost issue but still trying to learn.
    My mind tells me it “should” make more sense to have each bucket or tub independent with a pump in each container in order to customize feeding etc. I’m thinking with a single reservoir everyone is stuck with the same “meal” as well as ph etc.

What am I missing?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bdogg For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Bdogg View Post
    I am wondering why all the RDWC setups I see involve a central reservoir, I’m thinking it’s a cost issue but still trying to learn.
    My mind tells me it “should” make more sense to have each bucket or tub independent with a pump in each container in order to customize feeding etc. I’m thinking with a single reservoir everyone is stuck with the same “meal” as well as ph etc.

What am I missing?
    RDWC is recirculating That's what the "R" stands for...DWC is independent static buckets....RDWC every plant gets the same in terms of feed Ec, pH ect from a central rez....You can tailor feed in DWC if you wish...

Regards BL

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-10-19)

Thanks

Yeah I got the recirculating part Bud, I wondering the reason for the “community” reservoir vs for example a 5 gal bucket (or 4) with a submersible pump in each bucket, exit out the bottom of the bucket back into the top. I realize that would require a pump in each bucket etc., but they would each be independent.
    Forgive me, my homebrew side is coming out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bdogg For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Yeah I got the recirculating part Bud, I wondering the reason for the “community” reservoir vs for example a 5 gal bucket (or 4) with a submersible pump in each bucket, exit out the bottom of the bucket back into the top. I realize that would require a pump in each bucket etc., but they would each be independent.
    Forgive me, my homebrew side is coming out.
    I think I get where you are coming from. Single unit RDWC recirculating from the bottom and back through the top at least you wouldn't need airstones in there. The main tank on the joined up system is so you can add and adjust your feed solution without disturbing the plants.

On a personal note I tried RDWC and hated it, more trouble than it's worth.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

Bdogg (11-10-19), Done420 (11-10-19), GEORGE (11-10-19)

Thanks

Tell me more toblue.

I was thinking each bucket would have a port on top that could be opened to add water/nute mixture as needed.
    The blue sight gauge tubing could be used to pull a sample for ph/ec.
    Again my homebrew side is envisioning something like a mash tun recirculating from bottom to top, maybe coming back in through a sprayhead(s)?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bdogg For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-10-19)

Thanks

Tell me more toblue.

I was thinking each bucket would have a port on top that could be opened to add water/nute mixture as needed.
    The blue sight gauge tubing could be used to pull a sample for ph/ec.
    Again my homebrew side is envisioning something like a mash tun recirculating from bottom to top, maybe coming back in through a sprayhead(s)?
    How many tubs are you planning?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

Bdogg (11-10-19), GEORGE (11-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,883 Times

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    I think I get where you are coming from. Single unit RDWC recirculating from the bottom and back through the top at least you wouldn't need airstones in there. The main tank on the joined up system is so you can add and adjust your feed solution without disturbing the plants.

On a personal note I tried RDWC and hated it, more trouble than it's worth.
    I cant wait to go back to coco....I find growth is slower for me and i dont even know how to change it lol too much messing about with rdwc

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Done420 For This Useful Post:

Bdogg (11-10-19), GEORGE (11-10-19)

Thanks

I’m think 4 max, I might just start with 2 (5 gal buckets)...of course after getting a grow ir two under me that could very well change lol.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bdogg For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-10-19)

Thanks

I’m think 4 max, I might just start with 2 (5 gal buckets)...of course after getting a grow ir two under me that could very well change lol.
    Don't even think about RDWC just yet. Serve your time and run coco.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-10-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Done420 View Post
    I cant wait to go back to coco....I find growth is slower for me and i dont even know how to change it lol too much messing about with rdwc

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cost me a bomb to make my RDWC mate and I hated it. I have now converted it, I love it and the plants love it.

I know many people are scrapping their RDWC across the pond according to the forums.

Root problems, PH all over the place, root blockages etc the whole process is just a pain.

Maybe very experienced growers could make it work but why would you when there are far better methods to grow weed.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

Done420 (14-10-19), GEORGE (12-10-19)