Thread: Mixing LED and CFL in same grow ?

Thanks

Default Mixing LED and CFL in same grow ?

Hi I’m currently running a cfl grow and for flower I was wanting more light is it ok to mix cfl and LED? I was thinking about geting one of the clip ones just to add extra light to try get bigger yields ?
    What s your thoughts ?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weedheed420 For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (15-10-19), GEORGE (15-10-19), Valentina (16-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,374 Times

Quote Originally Posted by weedheed420 View Post
    Hi I’m currently running a cfl grow and for flower I was wanting more light is it ok to mix cfl and LED? I was thinking about geting one of the clip ones just to add extra light to try get bigger yields ?
    What s your thoughts ?
    My first thought is Hello there!

Interesting consept you have. I could definitely see cfl working well as side or under lighting but Id think it would be difficult if you planned for them both to be positioned over the plant canopy. Cfls need to be much closer then leds and Id think that would cause issues.

You could add maybe some bloombuster strips at angles for flower but that would seem to me to be a poor use of upgrade funds. Is there a particular reason you want to keep the cfls in use? How large of a space are you flowering btw?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C-Rex For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-10-19), skunkybudmans (16-10-19), weedheed420 (16-10-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C-Rex View Post
    My first thought is Hello there!

Interesting consept you have. I could definitely see cfl working well as side or under lighting but Id think it would be difficult if you planned for them both to be positioned over the plant canopy. Cfls need to be much closer then leds and Id think that would cause issues.

You could add maybe some bloombuster strips at angles for flower but that would seem to me to be a poor use of upgrade funds. Is there a particular reason you want to keep the cfls in use? How large of a space are you flowering btw?
    Hi mate ?? thanks for the reply hope your well!
    After some reading up I’ve decided to scrap the LED thoughts and veg my autos with 2 cfl bulbs hanging directly above my plants and when flower starts to show put in a 400 watt HPS. I’ve got 4 plants in a 1.2 tent I’m hoping that’s enough room for flower ?
    Regards

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weedheed420 For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-10-19), GEORGE (16-10-19), skunkybudmans (16-10-19)

Thanks

Hi mate ?? thanks for the reply hope your well!
    After some reading up I’ve decided to scrap the LED thoughts and veg my autos with 2 cfl bulbs hanging directly above my plants and when flower starts to show put in a 400 watt HPS. I’ve got 4 plants in a 1.2 tent I’m hoping that’s enough room for flower ?
    Regards
    Ive never used hps but I believe a 600w would be more common for that footprint. That said I think 4 autos would fit nicely in a 3x3 space. You could easily center your plants in the center of your tent and use the outside rim for fans and such. Would make airflow and temp control much easier.

Is there a reason you are choosing not to use a mh bulb for veg? What wattage is your CFL's? They really would be useful as side lighting.

I think you may be trying a bit too hard to hang on to some well loved starter lights friend

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Rex For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-10-19), skunkybudmans (16-10-19)

Thanks

Ive never used hps but I believe a 600w would be more common for that footprint. That said I think 4 autos would fit nicely in a 3x3 space. You could easily center your plants in the center of your tent and use the outside rim for fans and such. Would make airflow and temp control much easier.

Is there a reason you are choosing not to use a mh bulb for veg? What wattage is your CFL's? They really would be useful as side
    lighting.

I think you may be trying a bit too hard to hang on to some well loved starter lights friend
    Im ordering the hps today I’ve got a dimeable ballast so I guess I’ll get the 600 watt to be on the safe side cheers for keeping me right
    I’ve only got one 6 inch clip on I’m going to add another. Still haven’t got my out take fan need to get ASAP along with filter.

Reason I am using cfl is exactly what u said lmao! I’ve had them for ages and I’ve got 3 different bulbs 2x 125 watt and 1x 300 watt duel spectrum. Are cfl not just as useful as MH ifnsame wattage is getting used ? Because if not I’ll order a MH and as you saidnkeepnthe cfl as a side light. Don’t want the old leccy bill going through the roof though hahaha

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weedheed420 For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-10-19), GEORGE (16-10-19)

Thanks

Im ordering the hps today I’ve got a dimeable ballast so I guess I’ll get the 600 watt to be on the safe side cheers for keeping me right
    I’ve only got one 6 inch clip on I’m going to add another. Still haven’t got my out take fan need to get ASAP along with filter.

Reason I am using cfl is exactly what u said lmao! I’ve had them for ages and I’ve got 3 different bulbs 2x 125 watt and 1x 300 watt duel spectrum. Are cfl not just as useful as MH ifnsame wattage is getting used ? Because if not I’ll order a MH and as you saidnkeepnthe cfl as a side light. Don’t want the old leccy bill going through the roof though hahaha
    A lot of HID kits come with both a MH and HPS bulb and you just change the bulb when you go to flower. Chances are you will have a MH bulb wether you use it or not.

By the numbers HID lighting stomps the dog out of CFL. In practice, for early stage development in a home grow I think its probably 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other.

The heat is less with the cfl but you're gonna have to have the airflow for the HPS anyway.

Youve got more UVB with the MH but the CFL's light is less harsh and can be held closer to the plant longer.

The CFL will be more forgiving but the MH will provide faster growth.

We could go like this all day brother. I think the main difference is if you use MH/hps you only need to hang one fixture in your tent and leave it there for the whole grow. You shouldn't need extra lighting I wouldn't think.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Rex For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-10-19)

Thanks

A lot of HID kits come with both a MH and HPS bulb and you just change the bulb when you go to flower. Chances are you will have a MH bulb wether you use it or not.

By the numbers HID lighting stomps the dog out of CFL. In practice, for early stage development in a home grow I think its probably 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other.

We could go like this all day brother. I think the main difference is if you use MH/hps you only need to hang one fixture in your tent and leave it there for the whole grow. You shouldn't need extra lighting I wouldn't think.
    akes perfect sense dude.. looks like I’m ordering 2 bulbs today MH 400 and hps 600
    I’ve already got the hood and the ballast so all good to go
    Just ordered pipe cleaners to do a bit of LST When the time is right ??
    Might just put a cfl and try somehow put it under the plants through the middle to get light into the branches and deep inside the plant, you think that will add some benefit ? Makes sense to me but then again so did cfl ????
    Anyway I’m off to update my diary dude thanks again for ur input
    Regards WH

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weedheed420 For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-10-19), GEORGE (16-10-19)

Thanks

akes perfect sense dude.. looks like I’m ordering 2 bulbs today MH 400 and hps 600
    I’ve already got the hood and the ballast so all good to go
    Just ordered pipe cleaners to do a bit of LST When the time is right ??
    Might just put a cfl and try somehow put it under the plants through the middle to get light into the branches and deep inside the plant, you think that will add some benefit ? Makes sense to me but then again so did cfl ????
    Anyway I’m off to update my diary dude thanks again for ur input
    Regards WH
    Its an idea. I tell ya if I was looking for a good use for my old CFLs Id be thinking about setting up a little veg tent. Put a few cfls in the veg tent then have a 2 or 3 stage perpetual grow. Now that would basically mean building out another 9 sqft of space or so but youd harvest monthly.

Im legal though so my ideas get a little grandiose. I know that would be a very serious undertaking to do stealth.

Youll get er figured out!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Rex For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-10-19), weedheed420 (16-10-19)

Thanks

Its an idea. I tell ya if I was looking for a good use for my old CFLs Id be thinking about setting up a little veg tent. Put a few cfls in the veg tent then have a 2 or 3 stage perpetual grow. Now that would basically mean building out another 9 sqft of space or so but youd harvest monthly.

Im legal though so my ideas get a little grandiose. I know that would be a very serious undertaking to do stealth.

Youll get er figured out!

I’ll give it a bash I’ve ordered bulbs now got omega cheapy ones.. to be able to get successful grows Perpetually would be my ultimate grow grow dream tbh... that would be awesome

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weedheed420 For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (17-10-19), GEORGE (16-10-19)