Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: I need help. Wasting seeds.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,454 Times

Ive had same issues a year or so ago put in damp paper towel until I get a tap root, pop in soil with light on and... Nothing
    Now I drop seeds in a glass of water and wait until they sink then put straight in soil BUT now keep them In the Dark and warmth over 25c now I get 100% germination
    Me personally I think keeping in the dark until a day or two after they show above the soil was the game changer imo
    Atb chap
    Oh and I put my auto's in starter cups with added drain holes until they get a few leaves going and then I put them into final pots
    Last edited by Greengrass; 19-10-19 at 09:56 AM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

G' (21-10-19), GEORGE (19-10-19), Herbitual (19-10-19), johndoh (20-10-19), Le chef (19-10-19), N_S (19-10-19), Squaggy (19-10-19), tlh2496 (21-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,050 Times

I am using clay pebbles alone.
    I know that it is only my 2nd grow.
    I am putting into pebbles as a seed and top feed for 1 week.
    once a day only.
    only about 3mm down from surface.
    pots are 1" deep in water from the bottom.

new feed tomorrow then water level 1" below pots from there on.

don't want to try soil as I started out with oxypot sytem

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johndoh For This Useful Post:

G' (21-10-19), GEORGE (20-10-19), Le chef (21-10-19), N_S (21-10-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmglo007 View Post
    I am using clay pebbles alone.
    I know that it is only my 2nd grow.
    I am putting into pebbles as a seed and top feed for 1 week.
    once a day only.
    only about 3mm down from surface.
    pots are 1" deep in water from the bottom.

new feed tomorrow then water level 1" below pots from there on.

don't want to try soil as I started out with oxypot sytem
    Thanks 007!
    Could you share a few pics ? Someday Id want to try Dwc, and would be interested in seeing how you germinate.

Sent from my Redmi 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    tough crowd...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N_S For This Useful Post:

G' (21-10-19), GEORGE (21-10-19), Le chef (21-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

How do N_S brother like the others it's hard to see what your doing wrong, i have sewn dozens and dozens of seeds from different suppliers and breeders and not lost a single one yet, take the ones in your pics above if i had one sprouted like that i would have had my wee pot of compost soaked the previous day and left to drain for 24 hours in a nice warm place, i put mine on a paper towel on top of my sky box once the majority of water has drained from it the sky box gives just a very gentle bottom heat, i make the hole in the compost to take the seedling and tap root as you do with just a few mm of compost to cover the seed husk now before i actually cover and i think this is vitally important i use a cocktail stick "blunt end" and put it in the compost a few mm away from the hole the seedling is in and very gently push the compost with the stick in toward the seedling hole i do that all around the hole to make sure the compost pushes onto the tap root so all of it is in contact with compost, if you simply put the tap root and husk into the hole then cover the top of it then that tap root could simply be sitting in a void and won't have much chance at progressing, this is just a thought mate but well worth a try if you don't already do it, good luck brother and all the best, G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-10-19), Greengrass (21-10-19), IceCalibur (21-10-19), N_S (21-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,958 Times

Quote Originally Posted by G' View Post
    i put mine on a paper towel on top of my sky box once the majority of water has drained from it the sky box gives just a very gentle bottom heat
    Thats where I picked that up from works a treat

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

G' (21-10-19), GEORGE (21-10-19), IceCalibur (21-10-19), N_S (21-10-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G' View Post
    ...if you simply put the tap root and husk into the hole then cover the top of it then that tap root could simply be sitting in a void and won't have much chance at progressing
    Hey G!
    Thanks for your input. I have been thinking bout this as a possibility. But what buggers me is that to test I laid 2 landrace seeds on the side of the pot, and they sprouted just fine. But still, I will use that toothpick trick of yours. Also, do you too sprout the seed in a cup or something small ? Before moving it to the final pot ? I intend to put the next seed I germinate into a smaller 2" cup.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N_S For This Useful Post:

G' (21-10-19), GEORGE (21-10-19), IceCalibur (21-10-19)

Thanks

With photo's I use a 3" pot then 6" before putting into final pots auto's I've been going straight to full size pot but I'm about to start a new auto run and I'm going 3" pot with them this time, all the best mukka G'.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-10-19), IceCalibur (21-10-19), N_S (21-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,927 Times

I always used the paper towel method with about 80-90% success rate.

Lately I've been using rockwool from IKEA. The product is called Vaxer. Pick up the nursery box and some rockwool (cost about 10 quid). Make sure your temps are stable and cross your fingers.

I've only germed about 5 beans using that method but currently 100% germ rate. Super easy too
    Current grow: Cindy jocks & Royal Dwaft

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ery-Auto-Diary

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UpT0wn For This Useful Post:

G' (22-10-19), GEORGE (21-10-19), IceCalibur (21-10-19), N_S (21-10-19)

Thanks

Default I sprouted an Auto!!

Hello all!

hehe. Strange to be so excited bout something so elementary.
    As some of you may have known, ive not been able to sprout an auto seed yet, and have in the process wasted away many seeds. I tried soak overnight then straight to soil, in a paper napkin till I have a tap root, in a paper till I have a long tap root. Direct in the soil without any soak etc... It would seem as soon as a seed would hit the soil (in the case of the paper napkin germinated ones) the seed would just stop growing. And no auto seed would germinate in the soil. Even changed the soil to a different brand, same result.

So I had some Seedsman NL freebies with my last order, which I decided to use two of. I soaked them for bout 20 hrs in RO water. One of the seeds already had a small tap showing towards the end of it. I then planted them in 2 starter cups, one cup with just plain Coco, and one with the soil. The seed which was already showing the tap went into the soil.

almost 72 hrs laters, the seed in the soil has not done anything, and Im fairly certain its dead, while the seed in the coco sprouted yesterday!!!
    So, Im fairly certain its the soil then, too hot ? Some things grow just fine in the soil though, i have a landrace cutting thats quite healthy, and have germinated landrace seeds in this soil without issue.

Im seeking advise on how to now move this seedling to the soil without killing it ? And what to do for future attempts ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seed.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	376700

Even though this attempt will mostly be in vain as im travelling for a couple of weeks in a couple of days, I can have someone take care of the watering while im away, but I will have to move it to the soil by Friday. But im glad to have realized a potential problem with the soil.

Thanks a ton!
    Last edited by N_S; 30-10-19 at 07:01 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N_S For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (31-10-19), G' (30-10-19), GEORGE (30-10-19)

Thanks

OK brother what soil or soils have you been failing with ???

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (31-10-19), GEORGE (30-10-19)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast