Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: What difference does washing with a solvent make before infusing oil?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dark side of the moon
    Posts
    3,248
    Thanks
    3,379
    Thanked 13,046 Times in 3,209 Posts

    Default What difference does washing with a solvent make before infusing oil?

    My Solomatic cbd is now in a big jar. Got 55g off her so just a gram shy of 2 oz. Now I need to work out if I'm gonna wash with alcohol and reduce before infusing or just straight to infusing. Need to find out what difference it makes when it comes to treating cancer. Am I missing a key property from the plant if I dont use a solvent, or does the solvent just affect the strength?

    Anyone happen to know the answers I seek?

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (31-10-19), Cleargreen (31-10-19), ggotch (31-10-19), hotshot (30-10-19), redisiel (30-10-19), Sadface (30-10-19)

  3. #2

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    High as a kite
    Posts
    12,725
    Thanks
    47,650
    Thanked 28,108 Times in 8,323 Posts

    Default

    I decarboxylate it on the oven first then do the procedure with the alcohol as normal, if it’s for cancer are you going to mix thc and cbd ? I use a 3:1 thc:cbd but this is for breast cancer.
    Not sure what you mean by missing a key property? I don’t but I mean I don’t loose anything beneficial because she even juices the leaves and I make balms with the stems and other trim, there’s properties in fan leaves you won’t get just using buds for instance.
    Hope this helps a bit mste
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ


    REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!


    Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (31-10-19), Cleargreen (31-10-19), ggotch (31-10-19), hotshot (30-10-19), Peanut butter (07-11-19), Sadface (30-10-19)

  5. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dark side of the moon
    Posts
    3,248
    Thanks
    3,379
    Thanked 13,046 Times in 3,209 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    I decarboxylate it on the oven first then do the procedure with the alcohol as normal, if it’s for cancer are you going to mix thc and cbd ? I use a 3:1 thc:cbd but this is for breast cancer.
    Not sure what you mean by missing a key property? I don’t but I mean I don’t loose anything beneficial because she even juices the leaves and I make balms with the stems and other trim, there’s properties in fan leaves you won’t get just using buds for instance.
    Hope this helps a bit mste
    Redz
    Cheers for the quick response dude. I read or watched a video saying that washing with a solvent gets more out of the plant but I want sure if that meant quantity or variety of terpenes and whatever other properties in the bud that gets extracted. Some methods remove the chlorophyll for flavour and then the guy mentions the chlorophyll has benefits too. I'm not fussed about the flavour if it means theres more benefits. The more I read the more confused I get lol. As for thc, I have northern lights canna butter in the freezer so dose a peas worth every other day atm, sometimes daily

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (31-10-19), Cleargreen (31-10-19), ggotch (31-10-19), hotshot (30-10-19), redisiel (31-10-19)

  7. #4

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    High as a kite
    Posts
    12,725
    Thanks
    47,650
    Thanked 28,108 Times in 8,323 Posts

    Default

    The more dried and cured the bud the better as far as I’m aware mate, by not rinsing in alcohol too long reduces the amount of chloraphyll you pull from it, I don’t leave it in alcohol for more than 3 minutes before filtering it.
    With regards to terpenes get in in the freezer as soon as you can after decarboxylating it this preserves terpenes as far as I’m aware mate
    Atb
    Redz

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (31-10-19), Cleargreen (31-10-19), hotshot (31-10-19)

  9. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3,279
    Thanks
    8,627
    Thanked 10,697 Times in 2,995 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    The more dried and cured the bud the better as far as I’m aware mate, by not rinsing in alcohol too long reduces the amount of chloraphyll you pull from it, I don’t leave it in alcohol for more than 3 minutes before filtering it.
    With regards to terpenes get in in the freezer as soon as you can after decarboxylating it this preserves terpenes as far as I’m aware mate
    Atb
    Redz
    Watched a video on RSO and the guy left the solution out in the sun for an hour once he'd had the bud in the alcohol.

    Colour changed massively from green to amber, not sure how it works but he said it was to remove the chlorophyll

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (31-10-19), hotshot (31-10-19), redisiel (04-11-19)

  11. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dark side of the moon
    Posts
    3,248
    Thanks
    3,379
    Thanked 13,046 Times in 3,209 Posts

    Default

    Is that the one where he skips the decarbing as he says that's done whilst the solution is reduced down at the end?

    How do we do it without sun... cant see the sun for all the rain clouds recently lol

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (31-10-19), hotshot (31-10-19), redisiel (04-11-19), WF420 (31-10-19)

  13. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Stuck in the middle
    Posts
    3,486
    Thanks
    27,162
    Thanked 14,259 Times in 3,411 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    Cheers for the quick response dude. I read or watched a video saying that washing with a solvent gets more out of the plant but I want sure if that meant quantity or variety of terpenes and whatever other properties in the bud that gets extracted. Some methods remove the chlorophyll for flavour and then the guy mentions the chlorophyll has benefits too. I'm not fussed about the flavour if it means theres more benefits. The more I read the more confused I get lol. As for thc, I have northern lights canna butter in the freezer so dose a peas worth every other day atm, sometimes daily
    Seems to me that you are merging the methods for making RSO with making the oil infusion. Both are called "oil" but RSO is oily from the plant's own oils; whereas the infused oil is oily from oils mostly not from the cannabis.

    So it depends on what you mean by "washing".

    If you mean like washing carrots or potatoes under running water, the answer is a no from me. Worse still if it was done with iso (isopropyl alcohol), because the good stuff would be wasted down the drain.

    If by "washing" you mean like have the iso and the bud in a jar, close the lid, shake violently, drain the iso into another jar, top up original jar with the buds in, fill with iso then slosh again, then COMBINE the iso, then yeah, this could be the start of making some "RSO (Rick Simpson OIL)".

    To make the infusion, alcohol (the iso) is not just a solvent but in oil it is a emulsifier, TL;DR, the alcohol mixes into the oil and *MAY* evaporate as you apply heat to decarb, but the iso as it evaporates off may catch fire if the circumstances are right.

    Personally I am not hopeful about mixing any iso into the oil for the infusion, due to the nature of iso. I don't want that evaporating off, I don't want that stuff on me. If it evaporates off, it becomes a fire risk. If the iso does not evaporate off, I don't want it in the oil where it might be used on an open wound.

    Hope that answers your question, sorry about going on for a bit!
    Fight for your health.
    Hug those who care about you, do all you can for those you love (if they want it). We just never know when it might be the last time we talk to them or see them.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (31-10-19), hotshot (31-10-19), WF420 (31-10-19)

  15. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Sunny South
    Posts
    3,074
    Thanks
    33,772
    Thanked 12,670 Times in 2,691 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    I decarboxylate it on the oven first then do the procedure with the alcohol as normal, if it’s for cancer are you going to mix thc and cbd ? I use a 3:1 thc:cbd but this is for breast cancer.
    Not sure what you mean by missing a key property? I don’t but I mean I don’t loose anything beneficial because she even juices the leaves and I make balms with the stems and other trim, there’s properties in fan leaves you won’t get just using buds for instance.
    Hope this helps a bit mste
    Redz
    I've read that you don't want to use both THC and CBD at the same time when it's for cancer treatment. You can use both but then it would be CBD in the morning and THC in the evening for example.

    I'm no expert on this but it made sense to me when I was reading it.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19), WF420 (31-10-19)

  17. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Stuck in the middle
    Posts
    3,486
    Thanks
    27,162
    Thanked 14,259 Times in 3,411 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleargreen View Post
    I've read that you don't want to use both THC and CBD at the same time when it's for cancer treatment. You can use both but then it would be CBD in the morning and THC in the evening for example.

    I'm no expert on this but it made sense to me when I was reading it.
    CBD and THC compete for the receptor sites. But the body responds and can churn out more receptors sites, called "Up regulation". Though what we do is not too different (up yours, regulations!).

    In all honesty we need geeky papers from journals for this stuff that is canna specific. We are all just kinda fumbling in the dark, not LOL.

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (31-10-19), gardro (01-11-19), hotshot (31-10-19), WF420 (31-10-19)

  19. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3,279
    Thanks
    8,627
    Thanked 10,697 Times in 2,995 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    Is that the one where he skips the decarbing as he says that's done whilst the solution is reduced down at the end?

    How do we do it without sun... cant see the sun for all the rain clouds recently lol
    Thats the one mate, with magnetic spinner thingy? shame we dont live wherever he does as the weather looked a lot better than weve got right now haha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    Seems to me that you are merging the methods for making RSO with making the oil infusion. Both are called "oil" but RSO is oily from the plant's own oils; whereas the infused oil is oily from oils mostly not from the cannabis.

    So it depends on what you mean by "washing".

    If you mean like washing carrots or potatoes under running water, the answer is a no from me. Worse still if it was done with iso (isopropyl alcohol), because the good stuff would be wasted down the drain.

    If by "washing" you mean like have the iso and the bud in a jar, close the lid, shake violently, drain the iso into another jar, top up original jar with the buds in, fill with iso then slosh again, then COMBINE the iso, then yeah, this could be the start of making some "RSO (Rick Simpson OIL)".

    To make the infusion, alcohol (the iso) is not just a solvent but in oil it is a emulsifier, TL;DR, the alcohol mixes into the oil and *MAY* evaporate as you apply heat to decarb, but the iso as it evaporates off may catch fire if the circumstances are right.

    Personally I am not hopeful about mixing any iso into the oil for the infusion, due to the nature of iso. I don't want that evaporating off, I don't want that stuff on me. If it evaporates off, it becomes a fire risk. If the iso does not evaporate off, I don't want it in the oil where it might be used on an open wound.

    Hope that answers your question, sorry about going on for a bit!
    Wow, straight over my head Val! Never fails to amaze me the amount of combined knowledge on the forum!

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (31-10-19), hotshot (31-10-19)

  21. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Stuck in the middle
    Posts
    3,486
    Thanks
    27,162
    Thanked 14,259 Times in 3,411 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WF420 View Post
    Thats the one mate, with magnetic spinner thingy? shame we dont live wherever he does as the weather looked a lot better than weve got right now haha!
    Can't remember who now, but I think someone on the forum has/had one, it has a got plate and the mangetic spinner.

    What I recall from the Rick Simpson film, Run From The Cure was how he mixed the iso with the buds in a (roughly) 20 litre bucket, amongst a few other things!

    "KINDA" makes sense that he does not do a separate decarb step, because as he boiled off the iso, the temps are high enough for dacarb to occur. My money is on his oil not being fully decarbed, but seems like THCA serves a purpose too so for that, nothing wrong there.

    John Malanca, from The Sacred Plant, has recently released some videos on the use of cannabis oils for health, have a look online see if there is anything relevant. Some of it he wants over 100 quid for and I just can't splash that kind of cash at the moment.

    Edited to add youtube link:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFR...SlGM54g/videos
    Last edited by Valentina; 31-10-19 at 01:40 PM.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (31-10-19), hotshot (31-10-19)

  23. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dark side of the moon
    Posts
    3,248
    Thanks
    3,379
    Thanked 13,046 Times in 3,209 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    Seems to me that you are merging the methods for making RSO with making the oil infusion. Both are called "oil" but RSO is oily from the plant's own oils; whereas the infused oil is oily from oils mostly not from the cannabis.

    So it depends on what you mean by "washing".

    If you mean like washing carrots or potatoes under running water, the answer is a no from me. Worse still if it was done with iso (isopropyl alcohol), because the good stuff would be wasted down the drain.

    If by "washing" you mean like have the iso and the bud in a jar, close the lid, shake violently, drain the iso into another jar, top up original jar with the buds in, fill with iso then slosh again, then COMBINE the iso, then yeah, this could be the start of making some "RSO (Rick Simpson OIL)".

    To make the infusion, alcohol (the iso) is not just a solvent but in oil it is a emulsifier, TL;DR, the alcohol mixes into the oil and *MAY* evaporate as you apply heat to decarb, but the iso as it evaporates off may catch fire if the circumstances are right.

    Personally I am not hopeful about mixing any iso into the oil for the infusion, due to the nature of iso. I don't want that evaporating off, I don't want that stuff on me. If it evaporates off, it becomes a fire risk. If the iso does not evaporate off, I don't want it in the oil where it might be used on an open wound.

    Hope that answers your question, sorry about going on for a bit!
    The video I watched that I thought looked the best so far had the guy decarbing, then doing the shake wash with iso, heating for a short time, then filtered off the herb. Then he reduced it down to an oil and then added mct oil as the carrier and infused the two over heat for a bit, but not reducing it.
    I started looking into the bho method but the horror stories I found put me off lol

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (31-10-19), hotshot (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19)

  25. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Stuck in the middle
    Posts
    3,486
    Thanks
    27,162
    Thanked 14,259 Times in 3,411 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    The video I watched that I thought looked the best so far had the guy decarbing, then doing the shake wash with iso, heating for a short time, then filtered off the herb. Then he reduced it down to an oil
    That looks like a fairly standard RSO method

    Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    and then added mct oil as the carrier and infused the two over heat for a bit, but not reducing it.
    Okay, this is a bit new but I suppose the "oil" from the RSO would be like squash and the carrier oil would be like "water" for making e.g. orange squash.

    Just thinking out loud here...

    From the RQS Blurb "Solomatic CBD
    The potential of CBD continues to impress. Not only in its therapeutic value, but in its ability to provide fantastic taste and flavour without a high. By harnessing the attributes that make CBD so desirable, RQS has masterfully blended all the benefits into an autoflowering seed. With up to 21% CBD and never more than 1% THC, Solomatic CBD is the pinnacle of medicinal autoflowering strains."


    So with the bud you have, 55g at 21% CBD...

    I *WANT* to be able to say that after you make the RSO with your buds, if you add the carrier oil back into it up to 55 grams, GRAMS, not MILLILITRES, then you would have roughly 21% CBD in that mixture. But truth is that I have no way of knowing. Just guesstimates.

    But if we don't even add the carrier oil, all we have a some thick paste/oil that we have close to zero idea of what ratios there are of the components.

    If I was fumbling in the dark, that, is however the calculations I would go with. ON TOP OF THAT, if the only way to proceed was to first make RSO, then dilute with carrier oil.

    So with about 60 ml of oil mixture at about 20% is how I would start making a more diluted oil for whatever ailments.

    (55g bud should yield about 10g RSO. Oil is less dense than water so give or take we have a need for about 45g of oil to restore the original weight of the material, to regain the 21% composition. So as oil is less dense, I reckon the overall volume in terms of millilitre would be about 55 ml to 60 ml.)

    I must admit that I don't do the RSO detour, but plunge then submerge the broken up dried buds into warm coconut oil, because there is less smell, and I am not messing with iso. There is just less work, fewer steps, = fewer things to go wrong and fewer points in which inefficiencies can be introduced.

    And in case you are wondering, the remaining plant material I do actually neck the lot, or cook in a curry.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    I started looking into the bho method but the horror stories I found put me off lol
    Good grief, yeah. Some of them ought to be industrial processes that require proper equipment and safety procedures. May be I am a wuss, but I am hesitant to make my own RSO because of the nature of iso, or worse (in terms of flammability, volitility) with any cigarette lighter fluids.

    And is lighter fluid safe to eat or drink?? How pure is that stuff? What else is in it? I know people dab and do all sorts, but I am just too para to go down that road!

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (31-10-19), hotshot (31-10-19)

  27. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,980
    Thanks
    47,043
    Thanked 56,144 Times in 16,029 Posts

    Default

    Ohhh if ever you wash chlorophyll into you oils . Put your washed solution in sunlight a few hours . The solution will turn from green to brown

    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (31-10-19), hotshot (31-10-19)

  29. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Stuck in the middle
    Posts
    3,486
    Thanks
    27,162
    Thanked 14,259 Times in 3,411 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Ohhh if ever you wash chlorophyll into you oils . Put your washed solution in sunlight a few hours . The solution will turn from green to brown
    Not trying to be a smartass but how much of the THC would get destroyed in the process? Fine if it is negligible, but all that drying in the dark malarky, then stick the oil in the sun to change the colour just seems counter intuitive to me.

  30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (31-10-19), hotshot (31-10-19), Trex (31-10-19)

  31. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,980
    Thanks
    47,043
    Thanked 56,144 Times in 16,029 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    Not trying to be a smartass but how much of the THC would get destroyed in the process? Fine if it is negligible, but all that drying in the dark malarky, then stick the oil in the sun to change the colour just seems counter intuitive to me.
    None val . Its only for an hour or so .
    It juat destroys the chlorophyll .

    Watched a scientist on a youtube vid do this .

    Imho light dont degrade thc all that quickly . Maybe after months sittin on a shelf in direct sun yea . But not a few hrs .

    Ive left hanging bud dry with hps to keep heat levels up during winter . for a week n bits . No difference at all to me


    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (31-10-19), hotshot (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19)

  33. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Sunny South
    Posts
    3,074
    Thanks
    33,772
    Thanked 12,670 Times in 2,691 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    Can't remember who now, but I think someone on the forum has/had one, it has a got plate and the mangetic spinner.

    What I recall from the Rick Simpson film, Run From The Cure was how he mixed the iso with the buds in a (roughly) 20 litre bucket, amongst a few other things!

    "KINDA" makes sense that he does not do a separate decarb step, because as he boiled off the iso, the temps are high enough for dacarb to occur. My money is on his oil not being fully decarbed, but seems like THCA serves a purpose too so for that, nothing wrong there.

    John Malanca, from The Sacred Plant, has recently released some videos on the use of cannabis oils for health, have a look online see if there is anything relevant. Some of it he wants over 100 quid for and I just can't splash that kind of cash at the moment.
    Yesterday I say a video from Nugsmasher on YT where they made THCa by putting rosin back under the press in a 20 micron filter bag, they did two pressings like that to get any residual THC out and be left with THCa in the bag.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    I started looking into the bho method but the horror stories I found put me off lol
    What kind of horror stories Silk?
    I'm considering doing BHO with my whole crop because there is some sand/soil in there and some bugs probably as well. Although I do have doubts because after pulling the fan leaves today I gave the plants a good smell and noticed all 8 of them smell different so would be a bit of a shame to just stuff it all in a bottle to make RSO.

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (31-10-19), Trex (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19)

  35. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,423
    Thanks
    435,295
    Thanked 44,061 Times in 12,172 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    Not trying to be a smartass but how much of the THC would get destroyed in the process? Fine if it is negligible, but all that drying in the dark malarky, then stick the oil in the sun to change the colour just seems counter intuitive to me.
    What Trex sad Val, I have been drying outdoors for years, has no effect on THC level.

  36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hotshot For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (31-10-19), Trex (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19)

  37. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Sunny South
    Posts
    3,074
    Thanks
    33,772
    Thanked 12,670 Times in 2,691 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    What Trex sad Val, I have been drying outdoors for years, has no effect on THC level.
    What about flavor?

  38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (31-10-19), Trex (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19)

  39. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,423
    Thanks
    435,295
    Thanked 44,061 Times in 12,172 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleargreen View Post
    What about flavor?
    IDK I have never tasted anything but smoke, I can smell it, but never taste it. It can be a little harsh sometimes, if you over do it. Other than that it's just fine.

  40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hotshot For This Useful Post:

    Cleargreen (31-10-19), Trex (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


THCtalk.com Disclaimer - You must be over 18 years old to view/use this site .THCtalk.com does not encourage growing Cannabis or possessing Cannabis. Learning how to grow Cannabis instructions should be for educational purposes only. All Information contained in this web site is for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and Educational purposes only. Visitors to this website are advised against breaking the law as It is illegal to smoke, grow, or possess cannabis in the UK and some US States