Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What difference does washing with a solvent make before infusing oil?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

Default What difference does washing with a solvent make before infusing oil?

My Solomatic cbd is now in a big jar. Got 55g off her so just a gram shy of 2 oz. Now I need to work out if I'm gonna wash with alcohol and reduce before infusing or just straight to infusing. Need to find out what difference it makes when it comes to treating cancer. Am I missing a key property from the plant if I dont use a solvent, or does the solvent just affect the strength?

Anyone happen to know the answers I seek?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (31-10-19), Cleargreen (31-10-19), GEORGE (30-10-19), ggotch (31-10-19), redisiel (30-10-19), Sadface (30-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

I decarboxylate it on the oven first then do the procedure with the alcohol as normal, if it’s for cancer are you going to mix thc and cbd ? I use a 3:1 thc:cbd but this is for breast cancer.
    Not sure what you mean by missing a key property? I don’t but I mean I don’t loose anything beneficial because she even juices the leaves and I make balms with the stems and other trim, there’s properties in fan leaves you won’t get just using buds for instance.
    Hope this helps a bit mste
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (31-10-19), Cleargreen (31-10-19), GEORGE (30-10-19), ggotch (31-10-19), Peanut butter (07-11-19), Sadface (30-10-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    I decarboxylate it on the oven first then do the procedure with the alcohol as normal, if it’s for cancer are you going to mix thc and cbd ? I use a 3:1 thc:cbd but this is for breast cancer.
    Not sure what you mean by missing a key property? I don’t but I mean I don’t loose anything beneficial because she even juices the leaves and I make balms with the stems and other trim, there’s properties in fan leaves you won’t get just using buds for instance.
    Redz
    Cheers for the quick response dude. I read or watched a video saying that washing with a solvent gets more out of the plant but I want sure if that meant quantity or variety of terpenes and whatever other properties in the bud that gets extracted. Some methods remove the chlorophyll for flavour and then the guy mentions the chlorophyll has benefits too. I'm not fussed about the flavour if it means theres more benefits. The more I read the more confused I get lol. As for thc, I have northern lights canna butter in the freezer so dose a peas worth every other day atm, sometimes daily

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (31-10-19), Cleargreen (31-10-19), GEORGE (30-10-19), ggotch (31-10-19), redisiel (31-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

The more dried and cured the bud the better as far as I’m aware mate, by not rinsing in alcohol too long reduces the amount of chloraphyll you pull from it, I don’t leave it in alcohol for more than 3 minutes before filtering it.
    With regards to terpenes get in in the freezer as soon as you can after decarboxylating it this preserves terpenes as far as I’m aware mate
    Atb
    Redz

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (31-10-19), Cleargreen (31-10-19), GEORGE (31-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,402 Times

The more dried and cured the bud the better as far as I’m aware mate, by not rinsing in alcohol too long reduces the amount of chloraphyll you pull from it, I don’t leave it in alcohol for more than 3 minutes before filtering it.
    With regards to terpenes get in in the freezer as soon as you can after decarboxylating it this preserves terpenes as far as I’m aware mate
    Atb
    Redz
    Watched a video on RSO and the guy left the solution out in the sun for an hour once he'd had the bud in the alcohol.

Colour changed massively from green to amber, not sure how it works but he said it was to remove the chlorophyll

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (31-10-19), GEORGE (31-10-19), redisiel (04-11-19)

Thanks

Is that the one where he skips the decarbing as he says that's done whilst the solution is reduced down at the end?

How do we do it without sun... cant see the sun for all the rain clouds recently lol

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (31-10-19), GEORGE (31-10-19), redisiel (04-11-19), WF420 (31-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    Cheers for the quick response dude. I read or watched a video saying that washing with a solvent gets more out of the plant but I want sure if that meant quantity or variety of terpenes and whatever other properties in the bud that gets extracted. Some methods remove the chlorophyll for flavour and then the guy mentions the chlorophyll has benefits too. I'm not fussed about the flavour if it means theres more benefits. The more I read the more confused I get lol. As for thc, I have northern lights canna butter in the freezer so dose a peas worth every other day atm, sometimes daily
    Seems to me that you are merging the methods for making RSO with making the oil infusion. Both are called "oil" but RSO is oily from the plant's own oils; whereas the infused oil is oily from oils mostly not from the cannabis.

So it depends on what you mean by "washing".

If you mean like washing carrots or potatoes under running water, the answer is a no from me. Worse still if it was done with iso (isopropyl alcohol), because the good stuff would be wasted down the drain.

If by "washing" you mean like have the iso and the bud in a jar, close the lid, shake violently, drain the iso into another jar, top up original jar with the buds in, fill with iso then slosh again, then COMBINE the iso, then yeah, this could be the start of making some "RSO (Rick Simpson OIL)".

To make the infusion, alcohol (the iso) is not just a solvent but in oil it is a emulsifier, TL;DR, the alcohol mixes into the oil and *MAY* evaporate as you apply heat to decarb, but the iso as it evaporates off may catch fire if the circumstances are right.

Personally I am not hopeful about mixing any iso into the oil for the infusion, due to the nature of iso. I don't want that evaporating off, I don't want that stuff on me. If it evaporates off, it becomes a fire risk. If the iso does not evaporate off, I don't want it in the oil where it might be used on an open wound.

Hope that answers your question, sorry about going on for a bit!
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (31-10-19), GEORGE (31-10-19), WF420 (31-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Redz
    I've read that you don't want to use both THC and CBD at the same time when it's for cancer treatment. You can use both but then it would be CBD in the morning and THC in the evening for example.

I'm no expert on this but it made sense to me when I was reading it.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19), WF420 (31-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Cleargreen View Post
    I've read that you don't want to use both THC and CBD at the same time when it's for cancer treatment. You can use both but then it would be CBD in the morning and THC in the evening for example.

I'm no expert on this but it made sense to me when I was reading it.
    CBD and THC compete for the receptor sites. But the body responds and can churn out more receptors sites, called "Up regulation". Though what we do is not too different (up yours, regulations!).

In all honesty we need geeky papers from journals for this stuff that is canna specific. We are all just kinda fumbling in the dark, not LOL.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (31-10-19), gardro (01-11-19), GEORGE (31-10-19), WF420 (31-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,402 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    Is that the one where he skips the decarbing as he says that's done whilst the solution is reduced down at the end?

How do we do it without sun... cant see the sun for all the rain clouds recently lol
    Thats the one mate, with magnetic spinner thingy? shame we dont live wherever he does as the weather looked a lot better than weve got right now haha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    Seems to me that you are merging the methods for making RSO with making the oil infusion. Both are called "oil" but RSO is oily from the plant's own oils; whereas the infused oil is oily from oils mostly not from the cannabis.

So it depends on what you mean by "washing".

If you mean like washing carrots or potatoes under running water, the answer is a no from me. Worse still if it was done with iso (isopropyl alcohol), because the good stuff would be wasted down the drain.

If by "washing" you mean like have the iso and the bud in a jar, close the lid, shake violently, drain the iso into another jar, top up original jar with the buds in, fill with iso then slosh again, then COMBINE the iso, then yeah, this could be the start of making some "RSO (Rick Simpson OIL)".

To make the infusion, alcohol (the iso) is not just a solvent but in oil it is a emulsifier, TL;DR, the alcohol mixes into the oil and *MAY* evaporate as you apply heat to decarb, but the iso as it evaporates off may catch fire if the circumstances are right.

Personally I am not hopeful about mixing any iso into the oil for the infusion, due to the nature of iso. I don't want that evaporating off, I don't want that stuff on me. If it evaporates off, it becomes a fire risk. If the iso does not evaporate off, I don't want it in the oil where it might be used on an open wound.

Hope that answers your question, sorry about going on for a bit!
    Wow, straight over my head Val! Never fails to amaze me the amount of combined knowledge on the forum!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (31-10-19), GEORGE (31-10-19)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast