Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What difference does washing with a solvent make before infusing oil?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Quote Originally Posted by WF420 View Post
    Thats the one mate, with magnetic spinner thingy? shame we dont live wherever he does as the weather looked a lot better than weve got right now haha!
    Can't remember who now, but I think someone on the forum has/had one, it has a got plate and the mangetic spinner.

What I recall from the Rick Simpson film, Run From The Cure was how he mixed the iso with the buds in a (roughly) 20 litre bucket, amongst a few other things!

"KINDA" makes sense that he does not do a separate decarb step, because as he boiled off the iso, the temps are high enough for dacarb to occur. My money is on his oil not being fully decarbed, but seems like THCA serves a purpose too so for that, nothing wrong there.

John Malanca, from The Sacred Plant, has recently released some videos on the use of cannabis oils for health, have a look online see if there is anything relevant. Some of it he wants over 100 quid for and I just can't splash that kind of cash at the moment.

Edited to add youtube link:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFR...SlGM54g/videos
    Last edited by Valentina; 31-10-19 at 02:40 PM.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (31-10-19), GEORGE (31-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    Seems to me that you are merging the methods for making RSO with making the oil infusion. Both are called "oil" but RSO is oily from the plant's own oils; whereas the infused oil is oily from oils mostly not from the cannabis.

So it depends on what you mean by "washing".

If you mean like washing carrots or potatoes under running water, the answer is a no from me. Worse still if it was done with iso (isopropyl alcohol), because the good stuff would be wasted down the drain.

If by "washing" you mean like have the iso and the bud in a jar, close the lid, shake violently, drain the iso into another jar, top up original jar with the buds in, fill with iso then slosh again, then COMBINE the iso, then yeah, this could be the start of making some "RSO (Rick Simpson OIL)".

To make the infusion, alcohol (the iso) is not just a solvent but in oil it is a emulsifier, TL;DR, the alcohol mixes into the oil and *MAY* evaporate as you apply heat to decarb, but the iso as it evaporates off may catch fire if the circumstances are right.

Personally I am not hopeful about mixing any iso into the oil for the infusion, due to the nature of iso. I don't want that evaporating off, I don't want that stuff on me. If it evaporates off, it becomes a fire risk. If the iso does not evaporate off, I don't want it in the oil where it might be used on an open wound.

Hope that answers your question, sorry about going on for a bit!
    The video I watched that I thought looked the best so far had the guy decarbing, then doing the shake wash with iso, heating for a short time, then filtered off the herb. Then he reduced it down to an oil and then added mct oil as the carrier and infused the two over heat for a bit, but not reducing it.
    I started looking into the bho method but the horror stories I found put me off lol

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (31-10-19), GEORGE (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    The video I watched that I thought looked the best so far had the guy decarbing, then doing the shake wash with iso, heating for a short time, then filtered off the herb. Then he reduced it down to an oil
    That looks like a fairly standard RSO method

and then added mct oil as the carrier and infused the two over heat for a bit, but not reducing it.
    Okay, this is a bit new but I suppose the "oil" from the RSO would be like squash and the carrier oil would be like "water" for making e.g. orange squash.

Just thinking out loud here...

From the RQS Blurb "Solomatic CBD
    The potential of CBD continues to impress. Not only in its therapeutic value, but in its ability to provide fantastic taste and flavour without a high. By harnessing the attributes that make CBD so desirable, RQS has masterfully blended all the benefits into an autoflowering seed. With up to 21% CBD and never more than 1% THC, Solomatic CBD is the pinnacle of medicinal autoflowering strains."

So with the bud you have, 55g at 21% CBD...

I *WANT* to be able to say that after you make the RSO with your buds, if you add the carrier oil back into it up to 55 grams, GRAMS, not MILLILITRES, then you would have roughly 21% CBD in that mixture. But truth is that I have no way of knowing. Just guesstimates.

But if we don't even add the carrier oil, all we have a some thick paste/oil that we have close to zero idea of what ratios there are of the components.

If I was fumbling in the dark, that, is however the calculations I would go with. ON TOP OF THAT, if the only way to proceed was to first make RSO, then dilute with carrier oil.

So with about 60 ml of oil mixture at about 20% is how I would start making a more diluted oil for whatever ailments.

(55g bud should yield about 10g RSO. Oil is less dense than water so give or take we have a need for about 45g of oil to restore the original weight of the material, to regain the 21% composition. So as oil is less dense, I reckon the overall volume in terms of millilitre would be about 55 ml to 60 ml.)

I must admit that I don't do the RSO detour, but plunge then submerge the broken up dried buds into warm coconut oil, because there is less smell, and I am not messing with iso. There is just less work, fewer steps, = fewer things to go wrong and fewer points in which inefficiencies can be introduced.

And in case you are wondering, the remaining plant material I do actually neck the lot, or cook in a curry.

I started looking into the bho method but the horror stories I found put me off lol
    Good grief, yeah. Some of them ought to be industrial processes that require proper equipment and safety procedures. May be I am a wuss, but I am hesitant to make my own RSO because of the nature of iso, or worse (in terms of flammability, volitility) with any cigarette lighter fluids.

And is lighter fluid safe to eat or drink?? How pure is that stuff? What else is in it? I know people dab and do all sorts, but I am just too para to go down that road!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Ohhh if ever you wash chlorophyll into you oils . Put your washed solution in sunlight a few hours . The solution will turn from green to brown

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Ohhh if ever you wash chlorophyll into you oils . Put your washed solution in sunlight a few hours . The solution will turn from green to brown
    Not trying to be a smartass but how much of the THC would get destroyed in the process? Fine if it is negligible, but all that drying in the dark malarky, then stick the oil in the sun to change the colour just seems counter intuitive to me.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (31-10-19), GEORGE (31-10-19), Trex (31-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Not trying to be a smartass but how much of the THC would get destroyed in the process? Fine if it is negligible, but all that drying in the dark malarky, then stick the oil in the sun to change the colour just seems counter intuitive to me.
    None val . Its only for an hour or so .
    It juat destroys the chlorophyll .

Watched a scientist on a youtube vid do this .

Imho light dont degrade thc all that quickly . Maybe after months sittin on a shelf in direct sun yea . But not a few hrs .

Ive left hanging bud dry with hps to keep heat levels up during winter . for a week n bits . No difference at all to me

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (31-10-19), GEORGE (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Can't remember who now, but I think someone on the forum has/had one, it has a got plate and the mangetic spinner.

What I recall from the Rick Simpson film, Run From The Cure was how he mixed the iso with the buds in a (roughly) 20 litre bucket, amongst a few other things!

"KINDA" makes sense that he does not do a separate decarb step, because as he boiled off the iso, the temps are high enough for dacarb to occur. My money is on his oil not being fully decarbed, but seems like THCA serves a purpose too so for that, nothing wrong there.

John Malanca, from The Sacred Plant, has recently released some videos on the use of cannabis oils for health, have a look online see if there is anything relevant. Some of it he wants over 100 quid for and I just can't splash that kind of cash at the moment.
    Yesterday I say a video from Nugsmasher on YT where they made THCa by putting rosin back under the press in a 20 micron filter bag, they did two pressings like that to get any residual THC out and be left with THCa in the bag.

What kind of horror stories Silk?
    I'm considering doing BHO with my whole crop because there is some sand/soil in there and some bugs probably as well. Although I do have doubts because after pulling the fan leaves today I gave the plants a good smell and noticed all 8 of them smell different so would be a bit of a shame to just stuff it all in a bottle to make RSO.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-10-19), Trex (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

What Trex sad Val, I have been drying outdoors for years, has no effect on THC level.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (31-10-19), Trex (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    What Trex sad Val, I have been drying outdoors for years, has no effect on THC level.
    What about flavor?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-10-19), Trex (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Cleargreen View Post
    What about flavor?
    IDK I have never tasted anything but smoke, I can smell it, but never taste it. It can be a little harsh sometimes, if you over do it. Other than that it's just fine.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (31-10-19), Trex (31-10-19), Valentina (31-10-19)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast