Thread: Reoccurring problems every grow WOODY J to the rescue

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Default Reoccurring problems every grow WOODY J to the rescue

It may finally be getting through to me! The next few weeks will tell!

Every grow I am experiencing Calcium deficiency at around week 3-4 into flower and duly a less than optimum harvest. The cal deficiency escalates so I up my PH to over 6 and add more cal although I am sure they have enough (DWC by the way).
    The leaves shrivel nearest the lights so I think maybe nute burn so drop my feed to 1.1 after a res change, nothing much changes and my grow turns out substandard.

My mate who is more experienced says I am feeding far to low, he feeds at well over 2.0 all be it in flood and drain and beats me hands down every grow even though he doesn't seem to care about things as much as I do, (green fingered ba$t&rd).

I have read some of Woody J's old threads and hopefully it is finally sinking in.

I can see he makes sense but it goes against everything else I have read. " Static water level, Nute ec going up means you are feeding to high as the plants can't take any more nutrients so don't drink, reduce ec and plants will drink more then work your way up from there.

Woody's advice below

Most people assume that with a rising EC, it is the plants way of saying, I don't want more food, here, have some back.

What is actually happening is this.

Plants roots take in water/nutrients through a process called Osmosis. Effectively, if you think in terms of the roots having their own internal EC.
    The osmosis process will always try to balance out the EC's, taking from the higher side of the barrier and giving to the lower part.

So if the EC of the nutrient solution is higher than the "internal EC", then food & water will flow from the solution to the roots, this is the normal process.
    "If however, the EC of the solution is lower than the "internal EC", then the balancing will work the other way and nutrition will be leeched from the roots to the solution. "
    A res change or increase in EC should resolve depending on the other factors such as ph and water levels.

So I am now thinking as calcium is semi mobile and I am feeding to low it is leeching from my roots and plants into the nutrient solution.

My problem has always been static ec and constant dropping PH (I have seen Woody's chart) with water/nutrient levels all over the place sometimes drinking then suddenly slowing for no reason.

Maybe I am feeding them at basic maintenance and as soon as full flower kicks in they are struggling.

I've been growing for nearly 3 years now all be it in 3 different systems but have only managed over gram watt on a few occasions. Am I missing something ??
    Last edited by toblue; 13-11-19 at 12:52 PM.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-11-19), tom222 (14-11-19)

Thanks

I will reword this sentence from the above post "So I am now thinking as calcium is semi mobile and I am feeding to low it is leeching from my roots and plants into the nutrient solution"

I don't think it will be pulled from the plant as it is not truly mobile and cannot be trans-located I think maybe it cannot be up taken due to the plants equalizing their environment.

Do I have this correct ?????

4. The Following User Says Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-11-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 11,941 Times

Cant answer but would love to get a link to this woody j thread!

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shreder For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-11-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shreder View Post
    Cant answer but would love to get a link to this woody j thread!

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...rchid=11651261

Around 7th from the bottom of the page. Think I may read all of his threads.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-11-19), Shreder (13-11-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 11,941 Times

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...rchid=11651261

Around 7th from the bottom of the page. Think I may read all of his threads.
    Thanks brother much appreciated

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shreder For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-11-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shreder View Post
    Thanks brother much appreciated

This is a better link

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...d-how-to-react

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-11-19), Shreder (13-11-19), tom222 (14-11-19)