Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Old grower returning - bulb advice

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    543
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 102 Times in 75 Posts

    Default Old grower returning - bulb advice

    Hello guys,

    Just about to purchase my new equipment, it's been a few years since I have grown but the new types of bulbs are confusing me.

    I always used MH for veg and HPS for flower, the older style bulbs where specifically made for veg (MH specifc blue light spectrum) and flower (HPS specific red light spectrum).

    Now I am looking they all seem to be "dual spectrum". originally I was going to purchase the following:-

    2 x digital ballasts
    2 x 600w BLUE spectrum MH bulbs
    2 x 600w RED spectrum HPS bulbs
    And obviously switch the bulbs around from veg/flower.


    My question is - if I go for 2 x digital balasts with 2 x dual spectrum HPS bulbs will this be detrimental to the plants (will the yield be effected? - I want a big yield so I only have to grow twice a year and be self sufficient) - as in both stages of veg/flower they are getting both spectrums of light - whereas the olds style bulbs it's totally customised around what stages the plants are at.

    Cheers guys

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lukeDrs For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), gardro (10-12-19), hotshot (24-11-19), kbag (24-11-19), RASTA (23-11-19)

  3. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    11,857
    Thanks
    28,285
    Thanked 44,547 Times in 10,792 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lukeDrs View Post
    Hello guys,

    Just about to purchase my new equipment, it's been a few years since I have grown but the new types of bulbs are confusing me.

    I always used MH for veg and HPS for flower, the older style bulbs where specifically made for veg (MH specifc blue light spectrum) and flower (HPS specific red light spectrum).

    Now I am looking they all seem to be "dual spectrum". originally I was going to purchase the following:-

    2 x digital ballasts
    2 x 600w BLUE spectrum MH bulbs
    2 x 600w RED spectrum HPS bulbs
    And obviously switch the bulbs around from veg/flower.


    My question is - if I go for 2 x digital balasts with 2 x dual spectrum HPS bulbs will this be detrimental to the plants (will the yield be effected? - I want a big yield so I only have to grow twice a year and be self sufficient) - as in both stages of veg/flower they are getting both spectrums of light - whereas the olds style bulbs it's totally customised around what stages the plants are at.

    Cheers guys
    You can still get full spectrum HPS bulbs m8.
    Ad go for MH and full spectrum HPS.

    But youd do just fine with the one dual spec hps for veg n flower

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RASTA For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), gardro (10-12-19), hotshot (24-11-19), IceCalibur (23-11-19), lukeDrs (23-11-19)

  5. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    53,942
    Thanks
    143,036
    Thanked 151,904 Times in 43,519 Posts

    Default

    Whilst I have an MH bulb (and possibly a full on HPS), I'm more than happy with my dual spectrum bulb that does not need to be swapped out


  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), gardro (10-12-19), hotshot (24-11-19), IceCalibur (23-11-19), lukeDrs (23-11-19), RASTA (23-11-19)

  7. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    543
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 102 Times in 75 Posts

    Default

    Cheers for the fast response guys,

    I know I can use the dual spectrum HPS in flowering - but has anyone tested the difference in yield between dual spectrum HPS and regular red spectrum HPS in flowering? Is there is hardly anything in it I'll probably just go dual spectrum HPS for veg & flower. I just didn't want the dual spectrum HPS effecting my yield if it gives off 50% blue spectrum.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lukeDrs For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), gardro (10-12-19), hotshot (24-11-19)

  9. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    53,942
    Thanks
    143,036
    Thanked 151,904 Times in 43,519 Posts

    Default

    TBH, I think you will find it a 'swings & roundabouts' thing. Most will say it's fine... and a small percentage will argue the spectrum range. Sunmaster do quite an extensive range of different spectrum bulbs for the OCD among us

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), gardro (10-12-19), hotshot (24-11-19), IceCalibur (23-11-19), lukeDrs (23-11-19)

  11. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    543
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 102 Times in 75 Posts

    Default

    cheers M_C, I'm quite old fashioned in my ways as-in I always used the blue spectrum MH bulbs for veg and red spectrum HPS bulbs for flower and always got awesome results. My mind is kinda telling me if I flower with dual spectrum HPS then my yield won't be as good as if I had used specific red spectrum HPS bulbs.

    Sorry if this is confusing I think I'm confusing myself lol

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lukeDrs For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), gardro (10-12-19), hotshot (24-11-19)

  13. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    543
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 102 Times in 75 Posts

    Default

    Let me try and rephrase, if I purchsed a 600w dual spectrum HPS - would this be the same as running 1 x 300w blue spectrum and 1 x 300w red spectrum, because if it is surely when I'm in flower I want the majority of my wattage using the red spectrum? Hopefully I make sense with what I'm getting at now.

    Cheers for being patient with me guys lol

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lukeDrs For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), gardro (10-12-19), hotshot (24-11-19)

  15. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    53,942
    Thanks
    143,036
    Thanked 151,904 Times in 43,519 Posts

    Default

    This is the point that the whole subject gets fun

    The LED guys are probably the best to talk to as they have a better understanding of how all these figures stack up

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), gardro (10-12-19), hotshot (24-11-19)

  17. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,757
    Thanks
    13,239
    Thanked 14,637 Times in 4,886 Posts

    Default

    That reminds me.. I must buy a new bulb. Mine’s got burnt leaves stuck all over it.

    Seriously tho.. I think the dual spec bulb was made as a money and aggro saver. I’ve always used them and my yields are good, so why bother buying two different ones?

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vlad the Inhaler For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), gardro (10-12-19), hotshot (24-11-19)

  19. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    543
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 102 Times in 75 Posts

    Default

    That's enough for me if everyone is in the same boat, just wanted a little more of the "science behind it" regarding spectrums.

    Cheers guys

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lukeDrs For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), gardro (10-12-19), hotshot (24-11-19)

  21. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    310
    Thanked 455 Times in 284 Posts

    Default

    If you swap the bulbs and you have a dog ballasts you could veg with 400w bulbs and they will soon pay for themselves with the saved electric, you can use decent mh bulbs for 10 grows easily.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigjaw For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), gardro (10-12-19), hotshot (10-12-19)

  23. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    6,791
    Thanks
    59,975
    Thanked 28,405 Times in 6,750 Posts

    Default

    Current common belief is that plants grow better under a fuller spectrum. I was not aware of different types of HPS bulbs producing light in different spectrums. The HPS bulbs I have used did fine for veg and flowers (MH reduces stretch) but I feel that the other light choices that offer a fuller spectrum produce a higher quality result. HPS will still give bigger yields due to light penetration but the weed grown under a fuller spectrum will be more potent.

    First image is full spectrum LED. The issues is light penetration.

    I am currently on my first LED grow and I am hoping that the expensive LED's i got will come very close to the HPS when it comes to yield while being more potent and tasting better.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

    gardro (10-12-19), hotshot (10-12-19)

  25. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,766
    Thanks
    442,320
    Thanked 45,174 Times in 12,459 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lukeDrs View Post
    Cheers for the fast response guys,

    I know I can use the dual spectrum HPS in flowering - but has anyone tested the difference in yield between dual spectrum HPS and regular red spectrum HPS in flowering? Is there is hardly anything in it I'll probably just go dual spectrum HPS for veg & flower. I just didn't want the dual spectrum HPS effecting my yield if it gives off 50% blue spectrum.
    I use A red LED Bloom Buster, for veg and flower. It has very little blue light, and tons of red light. Red light will grow bigger and better plants than blue light will. They have many of test over on google, just go have A look. Although when I use my MH-HPS, I usually veg with MH and flower with HPS anyway. JMO

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotshot For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), gardro (10-12-19)

  27. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    De Pijp
    Posts
    9,044
    Thanks
    22,964
    Thanked 35,867 Times in 8,670 Posts

    Default

    There is an optimal spectrum ( ask a guy called McCree although he's out of date now )but like said above the difference between any old light and ideal wont be that match to yield.

    Too much blue is a growth inhibitor

    Too much red, far red really panics plants into thinking they are in shade

    Quality, aesthetics and speed may be another debate.

    Amount of light is most important so its best to bear in mind that 1w of hps is roughly the same amount of light as 2w of mh.

    Heres the optimal spectrum, how much action each colour provides and how absorbable each colour is, blue left and red right if you like a piccy


  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), hotshot (10-12-19)

  29. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Softwater
    Posts
    6,282
    Thanks
    10,766
    Thanked 32,618 Times in 6,217 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    There is an optimal spectrum ( ask a guy called McCree although he's out of date now )but like said above the difference between any old light and ideal wont be that match to yield.

    Too much blue is a growth inhibitor

    Too much red, far red really panics plants into thinking they are in shade

    Quality, aesthetics and speed may be another debate.

    Amount of light is most important so its best to bear in mind that 1w of hps is roughly the same amount of light as 2w of mh.

    Heres the optimal spectrum, how much action each colour provides and how absorbable each colour is, blue left and red right if you like a piccy

    I like all of those positions.

    But not with my back.
    I'd love to do it and you know you've always had it coming

  30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herbitual For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (10-12-19), Easy-T (10-12-19), gardro (10-12-19), hotshot (10-12-19)

  31. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 539 Times in 265 Posts

    Default

    iv used them both never noticed any diference... only with the blue in veg i did notice it was more compact for sure.. however at the moment im using 3 600 watt. 2 HPS for flower and one dual, only reason im using that dual is I cant be bothered forking out on a new bulb.. that side of the grow is no bigger or smaller than the hps side.
    AGAINST the legalization of cannabis.. the business is already set up do you want to work for some big company at minimum wage?

    decriminalization is all we need.ask an American.. Where now they pay thc tax and can't afford enough Meds plus the card ruins most insurance ..no rant this is factual

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to thehulk For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (18-12-19)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


THCtalk.com Disclaimer - You must be over 18 years old to view/use this site .THCtalk.com does not encourage growing Cannabis or possessing Cannabis. Learning how to grow Cannabis instructions should be for educational purposes only. All Information contained in this web site is for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and Educational purposes only. Visitors to this website are advised against breaking the law as It is illegal to smoke, grow, or possess cannabis in the UK and some US States