Thread: 600w parabolic and hps vs 600w gravita

Thanks

Default 600w parabolic and hps vs 600w gravita

Hi there folks i hope everybody is well. Im currently using a 600w bulb alongside a parabolic shade and getting some nice results but ive been reading about gravitas and how they produce a greater yield because they produce more light for the same energy costs and they have a greater spectrum of lighting. I was just wondering if anyone has made this switch before and if it was worth it in the long run. Thanks for reading and im looking forward to reading some replies

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dantheman For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,830 Times

I'm sure that the 400volt 600w gavita would be wonderful, but if I was spending that much money, I'd just save a bit more and go for LEDs. The gavita would still need bulb and reflector changes after all.
    I think that gavita are great by the way, I run their 600w bulbs in my regular digital ballasts. Hps is just an old technology though, LEDs are the future. Have a look for invisible sun on here, or even have a look on Alibaba for meijiu
    When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to prime For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,745 Times

If memory serves me, Gavitas run hotter than HPS?
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,322 Times

I know individuals that run gavitas and produce wonderful yields
    Expensive tho
    Didn’t really notice difference on temps with them compared to a standard shade or hps
    I have run x2 1000w epaps similar to gavitas Phillip bulbs ect
    Found epaps gave off less heat than a standard hps and shade as the heat went through the tiny vents on the shade resulting in less heat spots
    Produced some nice buds also
    Can’t give you any info as never used a led
    But the boys and girls on here rave about them mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenEm For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-19)

Thanks

You could keep your 600w parabolic for veg and switch it over to gavita or light of choice for flower
    That’s what I plan to do mate

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenEm For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-19)

Thanks

Ive got a 250cfl for the veg that seems to do the trick but i suppose theres no harm in trying a 250w metal halide for veg. Ive not really looked into LEDs at all to be honest so ill have to do abit of research

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dantheman For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Ive got a 250cfl for the veg that seems to do the trick but i suppose theres no harm in trying a 250w metal halide for veg. Ive not really looked into LEDs at all to be honest so ill have to do abit of research
    I wouldn’t change anything that’s already working mate tbh
    Maybe upgrade a thing or two
    Good luck mate you’ll get all the help you need here

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenEm For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

No contest in anyway really with the high end light manufacturers. They are leagues ahead in research and development. While the watts per £ wont be as "good".......if you have to ask then you probably cant afford it anyway.

Cannabis is a cash crop in legal territories so why wouldnt you invest in the best quality you can when the return is so good.

Gavita leds are knockout quality too.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-11-19), GreenEm (26-11-19), TheGrimSqueeker (26-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,830 Times

Maybe just buy the best single ended hps bulb you can, so at least you can be sure you're maxxing out your light output. Gavita enhanced 600 are 25 quid, or Philips greenpower are 40 quid which are the best available, but I don't think worth the extra 15 quid over gavita. Google best hps bulb and there's an article from one stop grow shop which tested lots of bulbs.
    Also making sure you regularly dust and polish your reflector. .even a little dust can knock down reflectivity by a few percent which could be half Oz come harvest time

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prime For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-11-19), IceCalibur (27-11-19)

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by prime View Post
    Maybe just buy the best single ended hps bulb you can, so at least you can be sure you're maxxing out your light output. Gavita enhanced 600 are 25 quid, or Philips greenpower are 40 quid which are the best available, but I don't think worth the extra 15 quid over gavita. Google best hps bulb and there's an article from one stop grow shop which tested lots of bulbs.
    Also making sure you regularly dust and polish your reflector. .even a little dust can knock down reflectivity by a few percent which could be half Oz come harvest time
    Hmm nice one prime, just googled it and reading the test results of the comparison now... cheers

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-11-19), prime (28-11-19)