Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tap water EC issues in soil growing?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,385 Times
    Provided Answers: 1

Default Answered: Tap water EC issues in soil growing?

Due to a few reasons my next grow is gonna be in soil, I love the coco but need a change.

Now in soil veg is always fantastic but as soon as it comes to flowering I always have issues.

When starting my 1st coco grow I learned that my tap water has an EC somewhere below 0.4 (it doesn't register on my meter that starts at 0.4)

So am wondering if anyone can tell me if that could have been one of my past issues and how to deal with it?

Also I only ever used old timers plant magic in the past but I'm open to trying any feed and boosters that you recommend?

Will be using 15L air pots, canna coco pro plus soil with added perlite, 600W HPS. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Those who mind don't matter, those that matter don't mind!

Current grow- https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...600w-Mars-Leds

2. "It does seem many of us are having issues in soil lately,exactly the same as you,all goes well up until flower.Will be interesting to see if the water EC is to blame? good luck with your grow!"

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missy For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (09-12-19), Dr Green (09-12-19), GEORGE (09-12-19), Kurdt (09-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,614 Times
    Provided Answers: 6

It does seem many of us are having issues in soil lately,exactly the same as you,all goes well up until flower.Will be interesting to see if the water EC is to blame? good luck with your grow!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kurdt For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (09-12-19), GEORGE (09-12-19), Missy (11-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times
    Provided Answers: 105

Quote Originally Posted by Kurdt View Post
    It does seem many of us are having issues in soil lately,exactly the same as you,all goes well up until flower.Will be interesting to see if the water EC is to blame? good luck with your grow!
    I think I've heard people say Cannon Coco isn't really soil. Might want to get it from someone that really knows though. I do know what ever EC is, never heard of it, so don't think it has any thing to do with A soil grow. JMO

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (09-12-19), ggotch (09-12-19), Kurdt (09-12-19), Missy (11-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times
    Provided Answers: 29

Canna Coco plus is still Coco...I would go with Cannas range of nuits if a change is wanted, go well with their mediums

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (09-12-19), GEORGE (09-12-19), Kurdt (09-12-19), Missy (11-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,385 Times
    Provided Answers: 1

Sorry, I had a brain fart while I was typing that, I meant canna terra pro plus soil.

I had a read up last night and found that yes a low or unusually high EC can affect soil grows and that many spil nute brands have ranges specifically for low EC (soft water) as well as high EC (hard water). Or that the simple solution for me is to add a supplement of calmag to my tapwater to bring it up to an EC of 0.4 before adding nutrients. So I'll give that a go

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missy For This Useful Post:

AND (09-12-19), CityDweller (09-12-19), GEORGE (09-12-19), Kurdt (09-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,171 Times
    Provided Answers: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    Sorry, I had a brain fart while I was typing that, I meant canna terra pro plus soil.

I had a read up last night and found that yes a low or unusually high EC can affect soil grows and that many spil nute brands have ranges specifically for low EC (soft water) as well as high EC (hard water). Or that the simple solution for me is to add a supplement of calmag to my tapwater to bring it up to an EC of 0.4 before adding nutrients. So I'll give that a go

One issue with tap water is that there are two types of minerals used in municipal waters and we don't know which type we have.

if it has large molecule minerals that the plants roots cannot absorb they end up building up in the soil creating a PH imbalance.

It it has small molecule minerals then in most cases it is way higher doses then our plants need and we see calcium toxicity.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-12-19), Kurdt (09-12-19), Missy (11-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times
    Provided Answers: 105

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    One issue with tap water is that there are two types of minerals used in municipal waters and we don't know which type we have.

if it has large molecule minerals that the plants roots cannot absorb they end up building up in the soil creating a PH imbalance.

It it has small molecule minerals then in most cases it is way higher doses then our plants need and we see calcium toxicity.
    Put your self down A shallow Well, then you want have any water problems. JMO

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (09-12-19), Missy (11-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,816 Times

I ve been using canna terra pro soil for the last two grows and I am happy with it. But never used PRO PLUS line.
    But found out this :

CANNA Terra Professional Plus is made up from 100% organic raw materials
    CANNA Terra Professional Plus is enriched with special feeding mixes that contain all the elements that the plants need for their first week so no extra feeding has to be given.
    Out of the bag CANNA Terra Professional Plus are preset at an EC of ±1.3 and a pH ±5.8.
    A man chooses, a slave obeys!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JamesJoyce For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (09-12-19), GEORGE (09-12-19), IceCalibur (09-12-19), Kurdt (09-12-19), Missy (11-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times
    Provided Answers: 29

I use Canna Terra and Dutch Pro nutes with it...one thing I have found is that the DP feeding chart (If followed) causes all sorts of leaf issues, from rust spots to crinkly dry leaves. Am now used to the doses at certain stages through flower so no longer have issues

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (09-12-19), CityDweller (09-12-19), GEORGE (09-12-19), IceCalibur (09-12-19), Missy (11-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,317 Times
    Provided Answers: 40

imo its more likley that you are using a organic feed which is more about feeding the microlife which in turn help feed the plant if you dont have a heathy micro herd then the nutes that are in a none soluble form for plants are not available to the plants , ive seen it many times and had it my self and poor yields,

stand your water in a open bucket for 24h to off gas and stablise the ph or get some of the stuff that knocks the chlorine out of the water as it can kill the micro herds
    if you must do organics learn the keep a healthy micro herd and research soil food web, i also grow in compost now after many years in all forms of hydro, i find chemical nutes like gold label or greenhouse powdered just perfect and i add beneficial bacteria but who knows if they stay alive i add them anyway and it works, extra mg on the run up to flower helps for that week 4 yellowing

hope that helps
    Last edited by Forest; 09-12-19 at 03:12 PM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forest For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-12-19), IceCalibur (09-12-19), Missy (11-12-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast