Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poor root growth in coco and root rot in hydro

Thanks

Default Answered: Poor root growth in coco and root rot in hydro

Afternoon all any water experts about lol... Right had this problem for many years but I've always just battled on. Whenever I grow in coco I get poor root coverage in my 12lt pots with 4-5 week veg then a 8-9 week flowering, I've got a mate that lives a few minutes away from me we can grow the same strain, same size pots and his root growth is unreal, he'll have roots hanging out the bottom of his pots and if you was to lift the plant out the pot he's got thick pure white roots where as I only have skinny off white roots (using same nutes) we normally yield about the same but my environment is controlled 10 times better than his, he only as one fan/filter sucking air out, no dehumidifier or humidifier and no heater, so his temps and humidity are literally all over the place, mine are constant 21-27oC humidity kept at what level I like, so really I should be yielding more...? I know if he controlled his environment like mine he would smash my results...

I've tried many hydro systems all with a water cooler and most of the time it ends with root rot, my mate a few years ago did nft with no problems whatsoever even with no water cooler lovely thick white roots... I've just scraped a nft system after root rot 3 times in a row in veg.

The only time I've mangaged to do a successful grow was with a home made 2 tub rdwc system, I had to have silly amount of water moving to keep the rot away, I had a 5000gph pond pump pumping water through 4 spray bars in each tub as well as a 90lph air pump with airstones, but even after all that my roots still wasn't strong they was weak off white/brown colour. When I say I've tried everything I've almost tried everything! Heisenberg Tea, Recharge, white shark, voodoo juice etc.

After talking to my mate today we got talking about our water he said his water comes out the tap cloudy with tiny air bubbles in it and he said its not very nice to drink (but his plants obviously love it lol) mines different and doesn't really taste of anything, so I did a search on the water boards website and it turns out our water is sourced from different places even tho we live a few mins from each other. My water is sourced from ground water his from a treatment center, in my water it says average free chlorine is .14ppm so if mines from ground water which I suppose is sort of like a water well does mine contain Pythium and from what I've read you need 1ppm of chlorine to kill Pythium and my water only contains .14ppm

on the waterboards website it says I'm in a hard water area my tap ec is only .3 my mates says moderately hard and his tap water is .5

One more thing if there is water experts out there I have a coliform bacteria count level whereas my mate doesn't, not sure if that matters...?

What I'm thinkimg about doing is, filling a water barrel up adding chlorine to 5ppm letting it bubble until all the chlorine is gone then using that water to feed my plants in coco to see if this improves roots growth, I also thought about putting a fish tank uv light inside the barrel as well because I have a koi pond in my garden with plants in the water and they grow no problem even in the summer when the pond water can be 25oC so I guess this is down to the uv killing the Pythium? I'd love to go back to hydro growing because the plants explode with growth a lot faster than coco but until I get to the bottom of my root issue looks like I'll stick to coco..

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

2. "Try some great white, that’s amazing shit man"

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thegrower1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-12-19), Greengrass (21-12-19), SmobyToker#1 (08-01-20), tom222 (12-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 11,941 Times
    Provided Answers: 23

Not a water expert but i would look on a reverse osmosis kit then work the water up to what you want get the pros here to tell you what bottles to feed ur r/o water like beneficial bacterias etc.. I know Rhizotonic does magic for the rootzone its all in my current diary.. also washing the coco pre-use..

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shreder For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-12-19), thegrower1 (21-12-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shreder View Post
    Not a water expert but i would look on a reverse osmosis kit then work the water up to what you want get the pros here to tell you what bottles to feed ur r/o water like beneficial bacterias etc.. I know Rhizotonic does magic for the rootzone its all in my current diary.. also washing the coco pre-use..

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
    Order one mate, I've also sent a sample of my water off to see what shits in it...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thegrower1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times
    Provided Answers: 6

I have had the same root rot problems and the water comes to my house over farmland through old black alkathene pipe.
    I have always ran beneficials but this time went sterile using Pool Shock for swimming pools (Calcium Hypochlorite 70%). So far lovely white root growth and healthy plants, time will tell.

I treat at 3ppm every 3-5 days. Saves me a fortune buying the beneficials and I find it far easier.
    Last edited by toblue; 21-12-19 at 11:33 AM.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-12-19), thegrower1 (22-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,618 Times
    Provided Answers: 55

We live on a well and I've used reverse osmosis water for years. Works much better for all plants, but you have to add in calmag and SI. BTW "coliform bacteria" that's from poop, not safe for you!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-12-19), thegrower1 (22-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,859 Times
    Provided Answers: 222

Try some great white, that’s amazing shit man

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Murdock For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-12-19), IceCalibur (21-12-19), Shreder (21-12-19)

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Murdock View Post
    Try some great white, that’s amazing shit man
    Hey Murdock, just out of curiosity..have you tried the 'Xtreme Gardening Mykos' at all and your thoughts if you have mate?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,859 Times
    Provided Answers: 222

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Hey Murdock, just out of curiosity..have you tried the 'Xtreme Gardening Mykos' at all and your thoughts if you have mate?
    Not tried that mate , been out the game for a while, 1 grow in a couple of years, seems to be a lot of new shit on the market, tbh though I’m more than happy with the great white, does what it says on the tin

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Murdock For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-12-19), IceCalibur (22-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,676 Times
    Provided Answers: 5

You never once mentioned the temp of your feed, I only grow in a Wilma as it’s simple but the condition of the feed I imagine is the same principle.
    I don’t use any products to keep my feed from getting disease bugs etc, but what I’ve learnt from experience is that there are a certain few things that are key to getting the right crop, temp wants to be about 17c, any warmer than 23 and the nasties love it, plus there’s not as much air in water that is warmer, I think from like 10-20c the air in the water halves so it’s critical because the roots love all that air.
    One other critical thing is cleanliness and regular change of the feeds, just take time and effort through the grow to keep everything in a clean state and fresh and I’m sure your problems will go away, I’ve learnt that hard way a few times and when I give the plants and equipment the love and attention it all needs I hit fewer problems, I think liquid oxygen is meant to help also with nasties in the water ( but never used it so seek advice of that from someone who has) , hope my insight helps you on your journey

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hippy Crack For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-12-19), toblue (22-12-19)

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Murdock View Post
    Not tried that mate , been out the game for a while, 1 grow in a couple of years, seems to be a lot of new shit on the market, tbh though I’m more than happy with the great white, does what it says on the tin
    Ok cheers mate, I'll have to give it a whirl for a few grows and see how I get on

21. The Following User Says Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-12-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast