Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moving plug sockets

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    Its how confident you are and if you have a meter.

I had just this in a garage. The previous cnut had switched the neutrals and not the lives.
    Red switch is a double pole isolator so even if RCD on other end, all is good. Am guessing someone else fitted lights & sockets (other than electrician) as box is properly glanded and SWA has been used, which also looks like 4mm so again, good stuff.

Only thing i would be worried about without seeing inside both ends of CU's is adequate CPC/Earth as like you say, very dangerous to assume

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

gardro (13-12-19), GEORGE (14-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Quote Originally Posted by AND View Post
    Red switch is a double pole isolator so even if RCD on other end, all is good. Am guessing someone else fitted lights & sockets (other than electrician) as box is properly glanded and SWA has been used, which also looks like 4mm so again, good stuff.

Only thing i would be worried about without seeing inside both ends of CU's is adequate CPC/Earth as like you say, very dangerous to assume
    You are probably possibly right but all assumptions mate until there and looking at it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

AND (13-12-19), GEORGE (14-12-19), IceCalibur (13-12-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

That's where it connects in the house. Had it all done by a proper sparky (friends husband works for em) after I built the cabin and explained it would need to handle being a workshop with up to 5000w running at any one time so think that's why we didnt use the old cable that ran to the shed I replaced with the cabin. That plugs now on the exterior of the cabin and only used for the lawnmower so far

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

AND (13-12-19), GEORGE (14-12-19), Slazenger (11-02-20)

Thanks

Easy job Silk...switch off at big red one, open sockets, move to where you want them and re cable as they were...personally I would put some trunking or conduit in between to protect cables (20mm conduit socket adapter already on the 1st socket)

If you're not ok with doing that, as Gardro says above
    That's what I was hoping. I'll do it in daylight so happy to turn off all the switches to be safer

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

AND (13-12-19), GEORGE (14-12-19)

Thanks

I'm a bit worried by the connection to your house CU...apart from the fact the CU is plastic...the boot is missing and the steel armour is a bit on the long side for my liking. Would you be prepared to take the cover off the house one & the cabin one ? (two screws on each and power off at red isolator on house one...far left of that pic)

5000w is a smidge over 20A so the MCB in the cabin CU is under specced...will run hot if you continually pull more than 16A, it wont reset but after time It will cease to function...a 20A replacement would also be a good idea at the same time

Its only so can I can physically see an earth connected...on one at the moment with no earth at all and ridiculously dangerous

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-12-19), Silkadin (14-12-19)

Thanks

Will try and get to it next time the wife goes out. In reality I'm not running so much at once. Grow used about 250w, and have a 1500w table saw, PC small heater,lamp and vacuum which could potentially run all at once

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

AND (13-12-19), GEORGE (14-12-19)

Thanks

...personally I would put some trunking or conduit in between to protect cables (20mm conduit socket adapter already on the 1st socket)
    This what you mean mate?

Thanks for the guidance and advice btw

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-12-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    This what you mean mate?

Thanks for the guidance and advice btw
    It is but they also do a 20mm version which the adapters on your socket(s) will fit into...happy to help, just don't electrocute yourself

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'll double check but I think the diameter of em was 25mm... not to doubt you... just want to make sure I get the right sizes. Guessing it's easier to do it at the same time as it cables look like they need feeding through (unlike with the trunking I've used elsewhere).

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

AND (14-12-19), GEORGE (14-12-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    I'll double check but I think the diameter of em was 25mm... not to doubt you... just want to make sure I get the right sizes. Guessing it's easier to do it at the same time as it cables look like they need feeding through (unlike with the trunking I've used elsewhere).
    Lol...you could be right...most people use the 20mm and yeah feed cables through conduit, joints etc. first...you can use the other stuff if you want, its just to protect the cables from damage

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast