Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Led

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    uk along the south coast ????
    Posts
    605
    Thanks
    10,407
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 603 Posts

    Default Answered: Led

    Right people im getting really confused with all these led stuff have been looking into the hlg an for what i want i need to save about £500+ but on some other sites i can find exactly the same for just over £200!! with no bad feedback from what i can see could anyone tell me the pros an cons im really struggling why i shouldn't buy the cheaper one

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

  2. "Or make your own if you enjoy a bit of DIY "


  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigdaddy 101 For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (27-12-19), M_C (28-12-19), Shreder (27-12-19)

  4. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    445
    Thanks
    461
    Thanked 910 Times in 381 Posts

    Default

    Put the two brand names up of both the LED's mate and some one will be able to give you the pros and cons to them. I do know with some of the cheaper LED that what they advertise is not what you get with regards to PAR and true watts.

    I have just bought myself a HLG 550 r spec LED and from the outset it looks really good and some of the other members on hear rate them highly.

    Buy cheap buy twice is what I would be thinking mate especially if its going to be nearly half the price between the 2.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cont3mpt For This Useful Post:

    Bigdaddy 101 (27-12-19), hotshot (27-12-19)

  6. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dark side of the moon
    Posts
    2,904
    Thanks
    3,249
    Thanked 11,717 Times in 2,865 Posts
    Provided Answers: 7

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

    Bigdaddy 101 (27-12-19), hotshot (27-12-19), Valentina (27-12-19)

  8. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,707
    Thanks
    380,205
    Thanked 37,435 Times in 10,262 Posts
    Provided Answers: 83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy 101 View Post
    Right people im getting really confused with all these led stuff have been looking into the hlg an for what i want i need to save about £500+ but on some other sites i can find exactly the same for just over £200!! with no bad feedback from what i can see could anyone tell me the pros an cons im really struggling why i shouldn't buy the cheaper one

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
    I've always had good luck with the cheaper stuff but that isn't to be said for everyone, lots of people will tell you if you buy cheap you buy twice, but so far it has been good investment for me. JMO

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotshot For This Useful Post:

    Bigdaddy 101 (27-12-19), Greengrass (27-12-19)

  10. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    uk along the south coast ????
    Posts
    605
    Thanks
    10,407
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 603 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cont3mpt View Post
    Put the two brand names up of both the LED's mate and some one will be able to give you the pros and cons to them. I do know with some of the cheaper LED that what they advertise is not what you get with regards to PAR and true watts.

    I have just bought myself a HLG 550 r spec LED and from the outset it looks really good and some of the other members on hear rate them highly.

    Buy cheap buy twice is what I would be thinking mate especially if its going to be nearly half the price between the 2.
    This is the one i keep seeing people talk about

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdaddy 101 For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (28-12-19)

  12. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    uk along the south coast ????
    Posts
    605
    Thanks
    10,407
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 603 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    Or make your own if you enjoy a bit of DIY
    I have been looking into that on YouTube is that what u have done?

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdaddy 101 For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (28-12-19)

  14. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    uk along the south coast ????
    Posts
    605
    Thanks
    10,407
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 603 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    I've always had good luck with the cheaper stuff but that isn't to be said for everyone, lots of people will tell you if you buy cheap you buy twice, but so far it has been good investment for me. JMO
    Yeah thats why i haven't got anything like that yet but i keep seeing the results of people using them an its starting to make me think lol

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdaddy 101 For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (28-12-19)

  16. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dark side of the moon
    Posts
    2,904
    Thanks
    3,249
    Thanked 11,717 Times in 2,865 Posts
    Provided Answers: 7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy 101 View Post
    I have been looking into that on YouTube is that what u have done?

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
    Yeah, wanted the quantum boards but needed it for a low height so Gardro mentored a build I did for my space. Moving to a cupboard now so having to cut it down to 8 strips

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

    Bigdaddy 101 (27-12-19), hotshot (28-12-19)

  18. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    uk along the south coast ????
    Posts
    605
    Thanks
    10,407
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 603 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    Yeah, wanted the quantum boards but needed it for a low height so Gardro mentored a build I did for my space. Moving to a cupboard now so having to cut it down to 8 strips
    I just checked out your cupboard setup looks spot on how much did it roughly cost for you to make the LED

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdaddy 101 For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (28-12-19)

  20. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Dark side of the moon
    Posts
    2,904
    Thanks
    3,249
    Thanked 11,717 Times in 2,865 Posts
    Provided Answers: 7

    Default

    I could have done it cheaper, but invested in a few tools like a rivet gun and soldering kit. I have a build thread for it. Cost a little over 200 pounds sterling I'd guess. Could have used thinner aluminum and less of it but I was more concerned with making it look good

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

    Bigdaddy 101 (28-12-19), hotshot (28-12-19)

  22. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 190 Times in 60 Posts

    Default

    Bigdaddy the link you put up the light looks ok..its using the latest led chips, the spectrum seems to be good too..only problem I can see is it looks like from the ppfd chart it should have been made on a bigger board...and youl probably have to use it at atleast with a 70cm space from the top of your canopy...if you can get 2 240wat boards at the same price range itl be way better, an I cant see why they wont be just as good as the more expensiver type...you might have a longer guarantee on the more expensiver companies lights cuz it may last a little longer due to the board being alittle thicker which means the chips are keept cooler extending overall life of the light abit..but at the cheeper price of the board youve shown its probably worth doing..hope that helps

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NIGHTMARE For This Useful Post:

    Bigdaddy 101 (28-12-19), hotshot (28-12-19)

  24. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    uk along the south coast ????
    Posts
    605
    Thanks
    10,407
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 603 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NIGHTMARE View Post
    Bigdaddy the link you put up the light looks ok..its using the latest led chips, the spectrum seems to be good too..only problem I can see is it looks like from the ppfd chart it should have been made on a bigger board...and youl probably have to use it at atleast with a 70cm space from the top of your canopy...if you can get 2 240wat boards at the same price range itl be way better, an I cant see why they wont be just as good as the more expensiver type...you might have a longer guarantee on the more expensiver companies lights cuz it may last a little longer due to the board being alittle thicker which means the chips are keept cooler extending overall life of the light abit..but at the cheeper price of the board youve shown its probably worth doing..hope that helps
    Cheers buddy thanks for that yeah thay do the 240w for just under £100 think i might get one for my veg tent an see how it goes from there

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdaddy 101 For This Useful Post:

    hotshot (28-12-19)

  26. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 190 Times in 60 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy 101 View Post
    Cheers buddy thanks for that yeah thay do the 240w for just under £100 think i might get one for my veg tent an see how it goes from there

    Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
    Thats probably a good idea..you can actually check it out your self..just make sure there is no import tax on the product..(gift) ..an if ther is to clarify wat the cost is before hand...also be sure to get in writing or correspondence/message exactly wat your paying for and receiving and keep a record of this... let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by NIGHTMARE; 29-12-19 at 05:48 AM.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NIGHTMARE For This Useful Post:

    Bigdaddy 101 (29-12-19), hotshot (29-12-19)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


THCtalk.com Disclaimer - You must be over 18 years old to view/use this site .THCtalk.com does not encourage growing Cannabis or possessing Cannabis. Learning how to grow Cannabis instructions should be for educational purposes only. All Information contained in this web site is for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and Educational purposes only. Visitors to this website are advised against breaking the law as It is illegal to smoke, grow, or possess cannabis in the UK and some US States