Thread: Light movers

Thanks

Default Light movers

Hi everyone, has anyone got any experience with light mover's? The reason I'm asking is my mate has one and reckons they're the best thing since sliced bread, but he's growing in a shed with a big led light and he's temps are that low he's got 2 oil filled radiators going all the time to keep them up so probably no better off lol. I'm growing in a garage atm with 2 X 600w hps and was thinking if they're any good and not going to kill my yield I could get a light mover for the summer time and use 1 hps to almost half the electric and keep temps down! Any input would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Millio123; 04-01-20 at 06:19 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Millio123 For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (04-01-20), GEORGE (05-01-20), GreenEm (04-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,322 Times

Never ever used one mate I know people that do use them but there grows are slightly bigger than what the talk allow
    So wouldn’t know what there like in a smaller space
    As for leds I don’t use them either but do plan to during summer months to cut heat and electricity mainly,,there the newish toy on the block
    I don’t see the point in running a led system if you have to use electricity elsewhere to keep the heat up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreenEm For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (04-01-20), GEORGE (05-01-20), IceCalibur (04-01-20), Millio123 (05-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

As said above, they're more toys for bigger spaces
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (04-01-20), GEORGE (05-01-20), IceCalibur (04-01-20), Millio123 (05-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,624 Times

I started off growing with one massive led and a mover. It did real well. Over time, I replaced that one big led with five little ones and ditched the mover.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-01-20), IceCalibur (05-01-20), Millio123 (05-01-20)

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    I started off growing with one massive led and a mover. It did real well. Over time, I replaced that one big led with five little ones and ditched the mover.

Was the mover quite noisy Jingo?..how does it work exactly?.. constantly moving or moving at specific times etc?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-01-20), Millio123 (05-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,624 Times

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Was the mover quite noisy Jingo?..how does it work exactly?.. constantly moving or moving at specific times etc?
    Mine had a metal track that was about 8 feet long. There was a little motor that traveled along that track and I had one big LED that was putting out quite a lot of actual watts. You could set the time it took for the thing to move and also you could set where you wanted it to go back the other way. I don't remember if you could customize a kind of a stop at each end or not?

I used it for quite a while and it worked pretty good actually. But I really like the ability of multiple lights at different heights depending upon where I was in my growing style. It didn't make any kind of noise at all it was a very small motor it was very quiet.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-01-20), IceCalibur (05-01-20), Millio123 (05-01-20), M_C (05-01-20)

Thanks

Thanks for the input everyone, I wasn't sure if yield would be cut due to less light. My mate swears by it but it's his 1st grow using the mover so not sure what his yield is going to be. I've got 2x 900w vipraspectra led which I used to veg my current grow but tbh I don't rate them very much hence the reason I only used them for veg, they're ideal for the summer to keep temps down but not quite powerful enough to yield what a 600w hps does. I don't really want to spend silly money on a top of the range led. Hence my thinking of 1 600w hps, less heat and half the electric and being able to get closer to the canopy with it constantly moving. They're only about £130 on Amazon but don't want to be stuck with a 2m ornament if it turns out a crap yield. I think I will hang fire for now and see what he gets after a few crops as it's his 1st time with the new led too so can't really compare it to any of his previous crops.
    Thanks for the help everyone

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millio123 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-01-20), Jingo (05-01-20)