Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Parabolic reflectors

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 11,941 Times

Quote Originally Posted by AND View Post
    When you put them together, put one nut & bolt on the top plate on each wing and bend the opposite edge out...helps massively with heat
    Picture, and?

Girl Scout Cookies, Gorilla Zkittles, LSD (Mentored by Bud Lightyear)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shreder For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (20-01-20), GEORGE (20-01-20)

Thanks

Not only are they better then reg reflectors ...i encourage EVERYONE who uses hids to run them bare bulb vertically or with a parabolic....so much more efficient then horizontially laid bulbs.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vermonstah For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (20-01-20), GEORGE (20-01-20), Patrice (20-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Vermonstah View Post
    Not only are they better then reg reflectors ...i encourage EVERYONE who uses hids to run them bare bulb vertically or with a parabolic....so much more efficient then horizontially laid bulbs.
    I'm no expert, but a HID bulb generates most output from it's side walls and not much from the bottom or top, so a vertically hung bulb will be pushing light sideways. A horizontal bulb will push light directly down onto the plants and directly up towards the reflector which will be reflected back onto the plants. PERSONALLY I have been looking at a parabolic with a horizontal bulb, just my preference.

I can understand a vertically hung bulb if it was in among your plants maybe in a vertical grow situation.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (20-01-20), GEORGE (20-01-20), Muttz (25-05-20), Old Fart Scrogger (25-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Quote Originally Posted by newgrowerr View Post
    To late already ordered them I'll look at them for the future thanks

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Jardin Daisy, google, and watch some video's, if you haven't already.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (20-01-20), newgrowerr (20-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,920 Times

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    Jardin Daisy, google, and watch some video's, if you haven't already.
    Wish I'd seen it before 32 bolts each these have lol oh well these seen pretty decent anyway same principle different brand hopefully just as good

10. The Following User Says Thank You to newgrowerr For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Quote Originally Posted by newgrowerr View Post
    Wish I'd seen it before 32 bolts each these have lol oh well these seen pretty decent anyway same principle different brand hopefully just as good

The only thing about those, they had some hot spots show up during testing, but I've use one, and they are good, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    I'm no expert, but a HID bulb generates most output from it's side walls and not much from the bottom or top, so a vertically hung bulb will be pushing light sideways. A horizontal bulb will push light directly down onto the plants and directly up towards the reflector which will be reflected back onto the plants. PERSONALLY I have been looking at a parabolic with a horizontal bulb, just my preference.

I can understand a vertically hung bulb if it was in among your plants maybe in a vertical grow situation.
    What this guy is saying is spot on.

I used to use the old china hat reflectors, they were ok for the mother room with a globe style MH lamp but bad for flowering. I have also hung naked lamps vertical in limited height grows and shaped the roof to act like a giant reflector. still had some problems with dead spots and hot spots so brought a light rail.

I personally don't see the point of parabolic reflectors apart from in a large grow with high roof and multiple lights with overlapping light patterns or on a light rail where the light is constantly moving. I guess parabolics do have there uses but in a single lamp tent style grow they cause more problems than they solve. Unless your using a light rail I think best avoided.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muttz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-05-20), tom222 (25-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,588 Times

the ones i have, have vents at the top.
    temps overall are better than using a normal reflector and i can get it way closer too.

have used them in 1.2x1.2 tents as well as in a 1.2x1.4. 6 inch extractor and get pretty even canopies and very dense nugs. 1gpw achieved easy with very short plants. never had issues with stretching/height.

cool tubes are also a decent option if heat is an issue.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Krofam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-05-20)

Thanks

I have a 1m wide Lumatek parabolic reflector with a 600W Sunmaster dual spectrum lamp in a 1.2 x 1.2m tent. Because the bulb is vertical, there is a distinct shadow directly beneath the bulb, about the size of a dinner plate. This shadow area can easily be seen with naked eye, and confirmed with a Lux meter.
    I grow with SCROG, so I avoid training my plants into this "black hole" area. I also do not train my plants to grow beyond the footprint of the edge of the reflector.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Fart Scrogger For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,588 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart Scrogger View Post
    I have a 1m wide Lumatek parabolic reflector with a 600W Sunmaster dual spectrum lamp in a 1.2 x 1.2m tent. Because the bulb is vertical, there is a distinct shadow directly beneath the bulb, about the size of a dinner plate. This shadow area can easily be seen with naked eye, and confirmed with a Lux meter.
    I grow with SCROG, so I avoid training my plants into this "black hole" area. I also do not train my plants to grow beyond the footprint of the edge of the reflector.

now i have 8inch desk fans on the ground blowing up into gap in middle of 4 plants and onto the bulb.

never had an issue that the gap you mention though..
    as you can see from the pic below, the middle got plenty of light. the reflector was lifted for better pic but its usually about 10inches from tops during summer and a bit lower during winter.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krofam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-05-20), Old Fart Scrogger (26-05-20)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast