Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why do you choose photo or auto plants

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

Quote Originally Posted by wasted2 View Post
    i had and still have a issue with when to harvest, i was told (not on here) that auto save u hassle, just follow the start and stop dates, simple..after a couple(on 3rd), iam starting to think thats crap, my smoke is fine, but on sale is better and i know the dealers, they are of course a lot more experienced and they dont use auto..so next grow i am going to ditch auto and go with photo. my hope is for giving up a fast yield i will get in return, higher yield of better quality..
    I've never had an auto finish in the advertised time. Only real way to know when to harvest is to check the trichomes with a loupe. But you'd do the same with a photo period plant anyway.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

2wasted (22-01-20), GEORGE (20-01-20), Sadface (21-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,920 Times

I've only ever done autos but gonna try photos at the start of summer when it will be too hot to have the light on during the day where they are

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to newgrowerr For This Useful Post:

2wasted (22-01-20), GEORGE (20-01-20), Sadface (21-01-20), Wags (20-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    I've never had an auto finish in the advertised time. Only real way to know when to harvest is to check the trichomes with a loupe. But you'd do the same with a photo period plant anyway.
    Have you tried anything from Mephisto?

Sendt fra min GM1913 med Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nicojellic For This Useful Post:

2wasted (22-01-20), Sadface (21-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

Not yet... think I've only ordered from sensi and rqs so far. Won a fair few thru comps so can add a few other breeders to the list but not mephisto yet

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

2wasted (22-01-20), GEORGE (20-01-20), Sadface (21-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    Not yet... think I've only ordered from sensi and rqs so far. Won a fair few thru comps so can add a few other breeders to the list but not mephisto yet
    I was confident when I first started that it was mainly photos I'd be growing. 90% in the last 1½ year has been autos from Mephisto. Highly recommend that you try anything from them. Changed my view on the auto discussion for good

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nicojellic For This Useful Post:

2wasted (22-01-20), GEORGE (20-01-20), Jumper114 (20-01-20), Sadface (21-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Nicojellic View Post
    I was confident when I first started that it was mainly photos I'd be growing. 90% in the last 1½ year has been autos from Mephisto. Highly recommend that you try anything from them. Changed my view on the auto discussion for good
    If you don’t top or train Mephisto, their timings are spot on at 60 days from sprout to harvest for their quickest like Sour Crack.
    Current Grow (3L coco autos) : Jumper's 2020 shenanigans

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

2wasted (22-01-20), GEORGE (21-01-20), M_C (21-01-20), Nicojellic (21-01-20)

Thanks

I like to grow autos in my veg tent works pretty well for me. By the time im ready to drop humidity photos go off to the flower tent clones that I cut go in a propagator in the veg tent. By the time they are ready for veg autos are done happy days.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay_GY For This Useful Post:

2wasted (22-01-20), GEORGE (21-01-20), Sadface (21-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 52,398 Times

Autos on perpetual is a ridiculous turnaround

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BB For This Useful Post:

2wasted (22-01-20), GEORGE (21-01-20), Jesse_tpfi (21-01-20), Kurdt (21-01-20), M_C (21-01-20), Nicojellic (21-01-20), Sadface (21-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,679 Times

I saw the start of autos and how far they have come is just incredible to behold. From those low ryder days, when growing in PC cases became a trend for a short while, autos have gone from strength to strength. Often literally

Those early autos produced up to 14g per plant of distinctly average (if grown very well) smoke. Nowadays I see people pulling ounces upon ounces off autos of some dank product that more than gets the job done. I'm yet to find an auto that has put me on the floor but I look forward to the day.

Photos for me are a lot less stress, they can be fed more freely, where as over feeding an auto can spell disaster. I can dictate the final size of the plant through veg time or simple training. With extreme training I can fill any size space with one plant and flower it out like a room. Great for keeping numbers down but yields high.

I also love being able take cuttings or even reveg a plant if it turned out to be special and I didn't have chance to grab some cuttings first. You just can't do this with autos, if you see something special then you can nothing but grow it out and chop it down. Unless you happen to have some pollen near by and fancy testing all the seeds to try and find what you were looking for, but then the cycle continues and it'll never be able to be backed up

Getting into the realm of breeding, regular seeds are so fun to play with. Fem seeds are, or should be, homogenised so for the most part you get uniform plants that perform and act the same. This is great for cash croppers, patients who needs consistent medicine and for new Grower's.
    When you start popping reg seeds the phenos really start to open up and there is the potential to find something really special in each and every pack. Many of the world's famous cut only strains are found this way and reach such legendary status, they take on a name all of their own.

Photos are the past and the future, reg seeds are needed to keep the gene pool active and diverse. I think autos are really fun and definitely have a place. When my room is back up and running I may occasionally throw a few auto beans in, just for fun.

Where autos really take on a niche is in the medical and cbd market. If you can produce, which people have, a high cbd plant that finishes with consistent crops of quality medicine within a set time frame. Then patients can only win from this.

Just my thoughts

Jesse

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jesse_tpfi For This Useful Post:

2wasted (22-01-20), B.R.E.W. (21-01-20), GEORGE (21-01-20), Herbitual (21-01-20), M_C (21-01-20), Nicojellic (21-01-20), Sadface (21-01-20)

Thanks

When I first started, I started with autos and in soil. I was pretty terrible at first and was still researching about deficiencies, what light schedules can be used, and overall finding my own method of madness and experimenting.
    I learned what auto breeders had good reputations and stuck with them. Through experience trial and error I managed to get better yields and health out of almost any girls I germinated. The potency however was/can be sort of hit and miss still. Some were awesome, and tasted amazing, while others not so much..
    I ended up moving onto dwc to try and achieve even better yields and not having to use soil. The yields increased greatly. With a personal best of a tangiematic that pulled 12 oz. Yet the potency still being hit or miss....
    This past summer I made the switch to fem photos. It was a strawberry lemonade, and an LSD both from barney's. I could tell there was a difference in potency. I also noticed it took just a little bit more time to finish them, but some of the autos I've done have taken just about the same amount of time.
    The usage on nutes also don't seem to make a difference to me either. It's really all about reading your plant. Light schedules aren't a factor, and i have the timer to come on at certain times when I'm home to check on them.
    I do miss having more variety that I did with autos. I can only fit 2 photos in my closet compared to 4 with the autos. However I can grow the photos for as long (space permitting) as I want before I flip them. I've been sort of experimenting a little bit with that.
    Photo also have more of a variety of phenos to choose from.
    Overall, they both definitely have a time and place, and i have love for both of them. I just feel I'll be sticking to photos from here on out, but who knows, maybe I'll do an auto run sometime with some beans I still have.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to B.R.E.W. For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-01-20), Jesse_tpfi (22-01-20), M_C (21-01-20), Sadface (21-01-20)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3