Thread: Ecothrive eco-life soil - epic fail

Thanks

Default Ecothrive eco-life soil - epic fail

So after deciding I'd like to do supersoil for my first grow the chap in my local hydro store recommended ecothrive eco life soil as a ready to go just add water solution that will supply a plant with everything it needs. At £20 for 40 litres I thought that's worth a pop, and after adding a little perlite split it into four pots.
    Growth has been pretty slow and it was showing yellowing from two weeks. After messing about with watering schedules to find the sweet spot growth picked up, however so did the yellowing which turned out to be a nitrogen deficiency. For a one stop solution this wasn't expected at all.
    I went back to the shop yesterday and asked the guy for any literature he has I find a small line that recommends 120l bed as a best use or 40l per pot. Price has now gone up to £30 a bag
    Talking to the dude in the shop he says they only recently found the minimum pot size thing. But he says a lot of buyers have had the same problem with differing pot sizes. What sizes I don't know, however based on how it performed from the off I doubt very much I'll use it again as I don't trust it to perform any better in larger quantities.
    I'll be researching soil recipes to build my own up for the next couple of months so I can have a go properly in summer with a decent soil and I'll be finishing this grow with biobizz nutes hoping to salvage something from it.
    I have a small allotment and while I'm not confident growing green, I don't think I've ever seen such poor results with anything else I've ever used for my tomato's chilli's etc.
    The dude in the grow shop told me he thought that ecothrive has rushed this to get it on sale before the recipe is ready to go.
    So if you're considering eco-life for a soil grow, think big big pots or go for something else. Me, I learned something and I'm glad I didn't go balls deep and buy a lot of it.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to supremeweeder For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-10-20), Doink (14-11-21), GEORGE (21-01-20), IceCalibur (21-01-20), sourshoes (21-01-20), tlh2496 (05-02-20)

3. Default

I think it's the reason Blue didn't go ahead with this soil if I remember correctly (or at least one of them)..they do have a minimum size recommendation which is outside a lot of UK growers 'reach'

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-10-20), Doink (14-11-21), supremeweeder (21-01-20), tlh2496 (05-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,313 Times

What is your container size? How bigs your space? There's a lot of variables but growing in soil is pretty easy once you figure out watering and such.

If you have access to quality compost a soil mix is really easy and can be very simple.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sourshoes For This Useful Post:

Doink (14-11-21), GEORGE (21-01-20), supremeweeder (21-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

I reckon you should add a mulch layer, It’s more than likely microbes robbing nitrogen from the soil.
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

British green (28-03-20), Doink (14-11-21), GEORGE (21-01-20), IceCalibur (21-01-20), M_C (21-01-20), supremeweeder (21-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    I think it's the reason Blue didn't go ahead with this soil if I remember correctly (or at least one of them)..they do have a minimum size recommendation which is outside a lot of UK growers 'reach'
    Growing autoflowers I wouldn't need a pot that big. Still it's forced me to do some reading and I'm glad I have. Next time I know what I want.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supremeweeder For This Useful Post:

Doink (14-11-21), GEORGE (22-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sourshoes View Post
    What is your container size? How bigs your space? There's a lot of variables but growing in soil is pretty easy once you figure out watering and such.

If you have access to quality compost a soil mix is really easy and can be very simple.
    I used fifteen litres with about 12 litres in each. In a four by two tent.
    I've got some recipes to try out next time, figure I may try four different recipes side by side and decide on results which one is for me. Doesn't make sense to use nutes (although I'm finishing with them this grow).

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to supremeweeder For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (04-10-20), Doink (14-11-21), GEORGE (22-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    I reckon you should add a mulch layer, It’s more than likely microbes robbing nitrogen from the soil.
    Redz
    I'll take a look at that next time red, thinking maybe that or a cover crop? I read either will supply nitrogen is that right?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to supremeweeder For This Useful Post:

British green (28-03-20), Doink (14-11-21), GEORGE (22-01-20)

Thanks

As I've switched to nutes to finish this one do you think I should remove the badly damaged leaves or let them drop off on their own?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to supremeweeder For This Useful Post:

British green (28-03-20), Doink (14-11-21), GEORGE (22-01-20)

Thanks

And Lo. there it was. Full of promise displayed in a most uncomely fashion. The legendary Ecothrive Eco-life Soil. (Just add water) You fell for her charms, hook line & stinker. All the while alarm bells ringing. I know shes no good (you think deep in the background of your mind) But You could not help yourself, & there you stand disappointed Out of pocket wondering WTF. Been there m8.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveBudd For This Useful Post:

British green (28-03-20), Doink (14-11-21), GEORGE (27-03-20)

Thanks

Always do the homework, expencive Yes, but you need to understand bio Soil feeding. You can do it just as well on the cheap (if you know what you are doing),, but if you're trying out bio soil grow for the first time and aren't sure! Clay peddles or perlite and pot size, grow space, climate, pH, and so on, and haven't found out online.. stick to charts and mixing up chems!! then it's got all you need for a Photo grow in large pots with toping, Lst, lollipoping etc

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginger007 For This Useful Post:

Doink (14-11-21), GEORGE (04-10-20)