Thread: Enough light gets through mosquito screen?

Thanks
    Thanked 5 Times

Default Enough light gets through mosquito screen?

Hello, this is my first post. I've had two pretty good seasons (2 of last 3 yrs) growing in my yard in N.California BUT have had worms/caterpillars in buds that caused mold, and my question is about the efficacy of using bug screening. I have a nice 30'x15' "tomato patch" on the south side of my house/garage, with fencing or house wall all around, with long hours of sunlight. I have guy wires stretched over my grow space and can drag out sun shade cloth (65%-85% allowed through). It can get hot here; I've had days over 100 degrees F but typical day from Jun-Oct is maybe 80-85 F. This is very near the town of Sonoma. I protect my seedlings from hot sun and then as plants grow I continue to shade on the hot days, with no apparent negative impact. MY QUESTION though is, can I enclose plants or the whole area in mosquito netting 100% of the time to avoid flying insects from laying eggs. I only grow organic, from soil to nutrients, to de-chlorinated water. The suspect insect is a 1/2" flying bug with orange and brown coloring that reminds me of a moth (wings close above the body) but seem robust and aggressive and fly fast. I'd love to hear any ideas and if anyone has used mosquito netting to keep out pests. THANKS!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pviking For This Useful Post:

G' (24-02-20), GEORGE (04-02-20), Greengrass (24-02-20), Petal (04-02-20), Street Smart (24-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,639 Times

Quote Originally Posted by pviking View Post
    Hello, this is my first post. I've had two pretty good seasons (2 of last 3 yrs) growing in my yard in N.California BUT have had worms/caterpillars in buds that caused mold, and my question is about the efficacy of using bug screening. I have a nice 30'x15' "tomato patch" on the south side of my house/garage, with fencing or house wall all around, with long hours of sunlight. I have guy wires stretched over my grow space and can drag out sun shade cloth (65%-85% allowed through). It can get hot here; I've had days over 100 degrees F but typical day from Jun-Oct is maybe 80-85 F. This is very near the town of Sonoma. I protect my seedlings from hot sun and then as plants grow I continue to shade on the hot days, with no apparent negative impact. MY QUESTION though is, can I enclose plants or the whole area in mosquito netting 100% of the time to avoid flying insects from laying eggs. I only grow organic, from soil to nutrients, to de-chlorinated water. The suspect insect is a 1/2" flying bug with orange and brown coloring that reminds me of a moth (wings close above the body) but seem robust and aggressive and fly fast. I'd love to hear any ideas and if anyone has used mosquito netting to keep out pests. THANKS!
    Hi pviking
    I grow outdoors in australia in my courtyard and have my plants under shadecloth... I think mosquito netting might work for you provided you can get the wind/breeze through it to the plants. hanging some of that yellow sticky tape to catch bugs might work too. Some peeps use organic pesticide such as neem oil which is systemic and works against bugs that chew on the leaves and supposedly safe for bees etc.

Good luck with your grow

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Petal For This Useful Post:

cough (24-02-20), G' (24-02-20), GEORGE (04-02-20), Greengrass (24-02-20), IceCalibur (04-02-20), M_C (04-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Talking

Welcome to the Talk, Vipking, enjoy dude. I'm in Florida, and I use Neem Oil all through Veg.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

G' (24-02-20), Greengrass (24-02-20), IceCalibur (04-02-20), Petal (04-02-20)

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

cough (24-02-20), G' (24-02-20), GEORGE (04-02-20), Greengrass (24-02-20), Petal (04-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

Welcome brother
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

9. The Following User Says Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,984 Times

Welcome mate
    STICK YOUR SKINS AND SPIN UP

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cough For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-02-20)