Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: First grow newbie - input appreciated

Thanks

Default First grow newbie - input appreciated

Hello. I'm a newbie here and a newbie grower... I have read a lot and try to learn as much as I can. Could you please give input and advice on the setup I have come to so far, my thought process, and basically if it will work as I hope?

Basically looking to do a small Amazon Aero (I like the challenge) grow in a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.0, lit by an HLG 550 mix custom of 2x r-Spec and 2x 4k to raise the blue, 4 pots initially (but 8 available for testing) in case I kill anything when playing with cuttings and training etc.

### Germination / initial growth

I don't truly understand how you grow seeds / roots / small plant in the early phase but I think I should essentiall soak rockwool in ph 5.5 light nutrient for 24h, plant seed (germinated or ungerminated?), then grow until big enough to plant in to main amazon system.

• I plan to use a combo bundle setup to germinate and grow until well rooted (roots showing through the rockwool). It's essentially a small tent with a t5 2x tube light and a propogation box
    • Should I soak the seed in damp paper somewhere warm but not hot, once sprouted plant in to the soaked rockwool, or plant seed straight in to rockwool?
    • PH to 5.5, add some Canna Start nutrients according to it's recommended dosage, provide light (what time rotation?) and water (how often?) keeping humidity 55-60% and temps 22-24 c
    • As soon as the roots are showing strong I plan to move to the main tent...

### The Main Setup

# Amazon 8 pot = I was thinking of changing the reservoir when the PH 5.5 level or EC level won't settle in range (below). I may just change the reservoir once every 1-2 weeks. Considering that's a lot of water in the reservoir how do I change it? If I lift the plants off of the top I'll have a large 80x80 plastic tub to move around not to mention the huge water res. I thought about hand pumping the water out. Maybe I just top up instead?

"An indicative EC range for cannabis plants is 0.8-1.3 for seedlings; 0.5-1.3 for clones; 1.3-1.7 under vegetative phase; 1.2-2 during flowering." - cannaconnection

# Airflow = The 1.2 x 1.2 x 2m tent has an inlet 4" fan which I'll hook up to a fan control unit, either on a simple timer for airflow, or temperature based ... I'm not sure how hot it will get with LED light. I have an outlet 5" - RVK Fan, 50mm Depth CarboAir & Acoustic Ducting Extraction Kit of 323 m3/hr. I have a couple of side clip on fans to circulate air and help strengthen the plants.

# Temperature & humidity = 2x 135w tube heater bars hooked up to a thermostatic switch, basically if temps drop to 20-21 switch on until temps 23. If more heat is required I will look to purchase an oil radiator 1kw and place near the inlet fan. If temps are high then the 4" inlet fan hooked up to thermo switch (switch on at 25 until temps 23) and 2x side fans will provide temperature lower control. I'm not sure but I think the Amazon reservoir may get hot, if it does I have to buy a chiller to cool it down to around 22. If it runs cold I'll add a fish tank style heater. The LED light I am unsure how much heat will be given off.

If humidity is low I may introduce a small mister.

Target air and water temp = 22-24
    Target humidity = 50%

# Lighting = HLG 550 with 2x r spec and 2x 4k boards. I'm thinking of running this at a height to provide a good PAR light distribution... in the range of 700-900. Planning to maintain this light throughout the entire grow except for the first week or two I may reduce light PAR to 500-700 to give the chance some grow time early on.

# Other notes

• I'll be using hydrocorn clay pebbles for the grow medium... taking the small rockwool grown plant, leaving roots in rockwool and adding to clay pebble pot
    • PH, EC and Temperature constant monitoring using nutradip growboss
    • All water will be 1l bottled for 24h with some ecothrive neutrolize. PH down to 5.5 before adding nutrients and then feeding. Should I let the nutrients sit for x hours or feed as soon as mixed? I read the PH spikes after nutes added so was thinking of ph down a second time before feed
    • Nutrients = Canna Aqua Veg and Canna Aqua Flores. Plan to feeds these as it says on the bottles and aside from ecorthive and ph down I wasn't going to feed anything else.
    • If I use tomato seeds for the germ and grow test will it be a fairly good indication of grow quality?

Lot's of information and questions here... I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to help out with this and will be sure to document and fine tune the grow here as we go along.

All the best

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

2wasted (14-02-20), CityDweller (14-02-20), GEORGE (11-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

This is definitely very bad info IMO

"An indicative EC range for cannabis plants is 0.8-1.3 for seedlings"
    Current Grow (3L coco autos) : Jumper's 2020 shenanigans

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-02-20), existence (11-02-20), GEORGE (11-02-20), IceCalibur (11-02-20), Lowrollerbean (15-02-20)

Thanks

Can you advise the good info please? You have a few grows and i'm all for learning. Thanks.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

2wasted (14-02-20), CityDweller (14-02-20), GEORGE (11-02-20)

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by existence View Post
    Can you advise the good info please? You have a few grows and i'm all for learning. Thanks.
    Take a look at this fantastic guide here - New Growers Guide To Canna Coco And Nutrients - Linky

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

2wasted (14-02-20), CityDweller (14-02-20), Easy-T (12-02-20), existence (11-02-20), GEORGE (11-02-20), M_C (12-02-20)

Thanks

Thank you. I'll read and understand that info. I already see that the EC levels were way out from the random site, and it's interesting that the PH optimal is different between aero and soil.

One thing that I am truly baffled about at the moment is... if I germinate in rockwool, grow a few cm plant, then transplant to clay ready for aero, how do I go from rockwool to clay? The rockwool takes a lot of moisture so would likely need to be binned to go direct root for the aero. Is there a better method to germ than rockwool when using aero.

BTW: I realise aero is insane for a first grow, but I like the challenge. It isn't about the end product for me (although eventually that will be a key factor in tweaking things)... it's about the journey.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by existence; 11-02-20 at 11:00 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

2wasted (14-02-20), CityDweller (14-02-20), GEORGE (11-02-20), IceCalibur (11-02-20)

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by existence View Post
    Thank you. I'll read and understand that info. I already see that the EC levels were way out from the random site.

One thing that I am truly baffled about at the moment is... if I germinate in rockwool, grow a few cm plant, then transplant to clay ready for aero, how do I go from rockwool to clay? The rockwool takes a lot of moisture so would likely need to be binned to go direct root for the aero. Is there a better method to germ than rockwool when using aero.

BTW: I realise aero is insane for a first grow, but I like the challenge. It isn't about the end product for me (although eventually that will be a key factor in tweaking things)... it's about the journey.

Many thanks.
    Well I do admire your spirit and wanting to face a challenge!..unfortunately, I can't help you with your questions as I don't have experience with that...but hopefully, someone who has and does will peek in

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

2wasted (14-02-20), CityDweller (14-02-20), existence (11-02-20), GEORGE (11-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Talking

Welcome to the Talk dude. Enjoy

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

2wasted (14-02-20), CityDweller (14-02-20)

Thanks

Thanks guys

Fingers X some aero ninja's land in this post. I wasn't sure where to post it as it's a mix of questions really so figured i'd just start a grow thread. Will be great to look back in a year at the progression.
    Last edited by existence; 11-02-20 at 11:19 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

2wasted (14-02-20), CityDweller (14-02-20), GEORGE (12-02-20)

Thanks

Ok I have a germination / initial grow phase method...

• Germinate seed in wet paper towel
    • Plant root down in coco or perlite inside propagator to raise humidity
    • When large enough gently wash grow mix off and move to aeroponics propagator kit with neoprene collar for support
    • When large enough move to Amazon system

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

2wasted (14-02-20), CityDweller (14-02-20), GEORGE (12-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,883 Times

I'm lost! I have no idea what an Amazon Aero is... the first result google gave me was a set of pliers!

Is it one of these?

It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

2wasted (14-02-20), CityDweller (14-02-20), existence (12-02-20), GEORGE (12-02-20)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast