Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: First grow newbie - input appreciated

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,171 Times

Quote Originally Posted by existence View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post lots of advice.

Water chlorine and chloramine ... I plan to use Ecothrive Neutralise Water Conditioner. Adding a drop's worth for each litre of feed ensures the effects of chlorine and chloramine are completely nullified. Water is immediately safe to use apparently, but I plan to let water rest for an hour. Distilled or RO water may cost me a fortune... i'm not sure how much water an aero system would use but the res is 50l... that's a cost of 150 on water. Something I'll look in to further, thanks.

Any reason for raising the PH to 6 during flower? Is there a more efficient intake of PK at higher PH maybe?

Will definitely diary it all I am sure there will be ups and downs along the way but it'll be a fun journey.

Here's my nutes plan with the EC taken from Jeff a Mountaineer and Canna grower. It was the only real measured plan I could find to follow. I was worried the EC might be a bit high initially and have thought about feeding just water until the first 3 pairs of leaves have sprouted, as I read that all the nutrients for the initial growth are in the seed.

Starting / Rooting 3-5 days
    Light 18h
    Aqua Vega
    Rhizotonic
    EC 0.7

Initial Veg 2 weeks
    Light 18h
    Aqua Vega
    Rhizotonic
    Canazym
    EC 1.3

Veg/Flower tranisiton 2-4 weeks / Final training
    Light 12
    Aqua Vega
    Rhizotonic
    Canazym
    Canna Boost
    EC 1.2

Flower 2 weeks
    Light 12h
    Aqua Flores
    Rhizotonic
    Canazym
    Canna Boost
    EC 1.4

Flower 1 week
    Light 12h
    Aqua Flores
    Rhizotonic
    Canazym
    Canna Boost
    PH13/14
    EC 1.6

Flower 2 weeks
    Light 12h
    Aqua Flores
    Rhizotonic
    Canazym
    Canna Boost
    EC 1.0

Final Flower / Flush 1-2 week
    Light 10h
    Canazym
    Canna Boost
    EC 0
    Like Jumper said. A RO unit or a water distiller is a one time investment that produces for a very long time. I have ne experience with water conditioner so cannot speak to its effectiveness.

I raise ph to 6 for flower because that is what I learned hear on the talk and it has been working.

Your nute plan sounds strong to me. Once you start growing it is easy enough to see of you are feeding too much or too little.

Keep in mind that not all strains eat the same. I adjust my feed strength based on how the plant is responding. Burnt edges mean dial it back. Leaves loosing color means to step it up.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

existence (14-02-20), GEORGE (14-02-20), Jumper114 (14-02-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper114 View Post
    A good RO unit will set you back 50 quid. I would not be without mine as my background EC is way too high.

I generally get through 15lt a day. That is on 5 plants.
    Will get an RO unit, thanks, I didn't realise they were so cheap as when I searched I saw large units for commercial sale. At 50 quid that's money well spent.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-02-20), GEORGE (14-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

Will get an RO unit, thanks, I didn't realise they were so cheap as when I searched I saw large units for commercial sale. At 50 quid that's money well spent.
    A three stage unit at 75gpd is what I have. EC out is zero. Makes 5lt in 35 mins.

If you are on a meter you may wish to reconsider our advice! They are very wasteful!
    Current Grow (3L coco autos) : Jumper's 2020 shenanigans

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-02-20), existence (14-02-20), GEORGE (14-02-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    Keep in mind that not all strains eat the same. I adjust my feed strength based on how the plant is responding. Burnt edges mean dial it back. Leaves loosing color means to step it up.
    This is so useful to know thank you. Added to my monitoring notes...

Nutes is a tricky subject so having some sort of baseline is good but knowing how to tweak up or down is magic.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A three stage unit at 75gpd is what I have. EC out is zero. Makes 5lt in 35 mins.

If you are on a meter you may wish to reconsider our advice! They are very wasteful!
    Thanks for the heads up.

How much water in do you have to input for it to produce 5lt? Is there any waste? I'll read up on it anyway.

1000lt (or 1m3) = 1.80 per m3.... still much cheaper than the buying distilled water option... have I missed something?
    Last edited by existence; 14-02-20 at 02:36 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This is so useful to know thank you. Added to my monitoring notes...

Nutes is a tricky subject so having some sort of baseline is good but knowing how to tweak up or down is magic.
    Definitely. I use the recipe provided by the manufacturer of my nute line. I adjust up and down keeping to the recommended ratio.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

existence (14-02-20), GEORGE (14-02-20)

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up.

How much water in do you have to input for it to produce 5lt?

1000lt (or 1m3) = 1.80 per m3.... still much cheaper than the buying distilled water option...
    I believe RO is about 70% waste. It should be listed in the tech sheet on the unit you are considering.

I use 2, 5 gallon jugs which I keep filled all the time so I dont have to wait.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

existence (14-02-20), GEORGE (14-02-20), Jumper114 (14-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    Definitely. I use the recipe provided by the manufacturer of my nute line. I adjust up and down keeping to the recommended ratio.
    Really so long as you keep to the ratios, starting at 0.2, you will be golden.

As CityDweller said, from there read the plant. Hydro responds very quickly, so it is better to underfeed.

A nice green is what you want. The best way to see this is with lights off and take a photo with flash.

This is an example of on the edge / overfed. Notice the tips just burning and the shade of green is too dark. She is overfed as sharing a reservoir with a different strain. Be warned!

Up or drop by 0.1.
    Last edited by Jumper114; 14-02-20 at 02:49 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-02-20), existence (14-02-20), GEORGE (14-02-20)

Thanks

Wow, this is so useful everyone. Honestly I cannot thank you all enough for taking the time to share your wisdom. I promise to put it to good use!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-02-20)

Thanks

This is an example of on the edge / overfed. Notice the tips just burning and the shade of green is too dark. She is overfed as sharing a reservoir with a different strain. Be warned!

Up or drop by 0.1.
    I think this is an example of an underfed plant with the leaves losing colour? I see no burnt tips too... do the tips ever burn on an underfed plant? Do the larger leaves tend to show the signs earlier than smaller leaves?

Many thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	underfed.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	379662

20. The Following User Says Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-02-20)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast