Thread: Lower wattage lights to increase yeild??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 1

Default Answered: Lower wattage lights to increase yeild??

Hey dudes... and dudets

Been growing for a while now under 600w dual spectrum bulbs, using primarily dutch pro, growing to approx 3 foot, in 20Ltr pots, coco coir, and until recently hand balling but have just change over to easy feed system. Looking promising so far but about 5 weeks away from results so cant compare just yet.

Temps are controlled quite well, humidity is a bit of a battle at times, but I do what I can asap. Keep my ph to 5.8 and ec goes up to between 2.2 and 2.5, until about week 5-6 when I reduce to about 1.8.

So this is my method right now but my yeild is always around 3.2 oz per plant. Growing star dawg I know these can yield 5+oz.

So I have started to look at my lighting situation, as I have read blogs on here of people getting 3oz from 11Ltr pots, under 250w and 400w veg/flower.

Because I cannot get too close to my girls early on due to light heat and intensity I do find I get quite a bit of stretch at the internodes, and so want to try and counter this. On this last one I tried heat shields which are good for heat distribution allowing me to get closer, but the intensity of the light meant I ended up bleaching the leaves temporarily, so not ideal.

What I wanted to know is if I use lower wattage lights e.g. 250w, 400w, and build upto 600w in order to prevent stretch am I likely to see bigger yields? My thinking is if a stretched plant produces e.g. 10 nodes (20 branches), and I lollipop 50%. Thats a plant with the energy for 10 nodes, focusing it energy on the top 5 nodes (10 branches)....
    BUT... if using a lower wattage to prevent stretch, and a plant is grown to the same height as the first one above, it should produce more nodes e.g. 20 nodes (40 branches), and when lollipopin 50% now, leaves you with a 20 node producing plant, focusing its energy on the remaining top 10 nodes (20 branches/colas/nuggets), makes for fatter, heavier, buds.

This is just an example and not based on anything real, its just my hypothesis (big words ). There must be method in the madness somewhere lol.

Thanks
    Last edited by THCBrova; 14-02-20 at 01:16 PM.

2. "Reducing watts will result in more stretch.

Stretch is down to the excess far red light in hps and dual spectrum that makes the plant think its in shade."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-02-20), Slazenger (14-02-20)