Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Motherboard bios update and cpu

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,958 Times

"I'm trying to install Windows 10 on a new SSD, but the computer keeps giving me this message 'Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.' What does this mean? Do I have to convert the GPT disk to MBR? Or to enable UEFI boot mode in BIOS?"

So that was the issue and it takes seconds to sort by converting it. Saying all this I have no idea how much you know about computers or if your even gonna need this info but I think you need to do a fresh windows for a new motherboard, dunno. Might just be with the 3 quid windows versions I buy off ebay.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (21-02-20), GEORGE (21-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,186 Times

Quote Originally Posted by MrCannab1sir View Post
    "I'm trying to install Windows 10 on a new SSD, but the computer keeps giving me this message 'Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.' What does this mean? Do I have to convert the GPT disk to MBR? Or to enable UEFI boot mode in BIOS?"

So that was the issue and it takes seconds to sort by converting it. Saying all this I have no idea how much you know about computers or if your even gonna need this info but I think you need to do a fresh windows for a new motherboard, dunno. Might just be with the 3 quid windows versions I buy off ebay.
    Your windows shouldn't be an issue. Ebay sellers sell used versions of windows from old dismantled computers, so some are perfectly legit.

I'm not sure what GPT stands for either, but in my opinion, I would install your windows on a usb stick using the windows media tool, you can find on microsoft website.

Then boot from the bios and fresh install from the usb.

From there, you should be given an option to partion your hard drive, which should wipe everything on it and install from fresh.

If that's not working, then could it possibly be your ssd faulty?

I'd go into your device manager and check it's up and running alright.

If you're using windows 10, it'll automatically install your drivers for you but if 7/8 you may need to download from manufacturer website.

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr Green For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-02-20), IceCalibur (21-02-20), Kurdt (21-02-20), M_C (21-02-20)

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Master Kief View Post
    Your windows shouldn't be an issue. Ebay sellers sell used versions of windows from old dismantled computers, so some are perfectly legit.

I'm not sure what GPT stands for either, but in my opinion, I would install your windows on a usb stick using the windows media tool, you can find on microsoft website.

Then boot from the bios and fresh install from the usb.

From there, you should be given an option to partion your hard drive, which should wipe everything on it and install from fresh.

If that's not working, then could it possibly be your ssd faulty?

I'd go into your device manager and check it's up and running alright.

If you're using windows 10, it'll automatically install your drivers for you but if 7/8 you may need to download from manufacturer website.

Hope this helps

Good info that Master Kief

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (21-02-20), GEORGE (21-02-20), M_C (21-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Master Kief View Post
    I'm not sure what GPT stands for
    GUID Partition Table (GPT)
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (21-02-20), GEORGE (21-02-20), IceCalibur (21-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,186 Times

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Good info that Master Kief
    Cheers dude I like to help where I can
    Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    GUID Partition Table (GPT)
    Ahh cool, knew it had partion in there somewhere lol will have a read up on it Cheers MC

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr Green For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-02-20), IceCalibur (21-02-20), M_C (22-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,136 Times

For anyone else having problems with installing windows. Either use the creation tool mentioned in an earlier post or use Rufus. It's free, very easy to use and much better imo than the windows tool.
    Rufus is a small application that creates bootable USB drives, which can then be used to install or run Microsoft Windows, Linux or DOS
    Just search for Rufus download. I've been using it for years and it has never failed.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Solyom For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (14-05-20), GEORGE (02-05-20), MrC (02-05-20), M_C (02-05-20)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2