Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Germination for aeroponics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper114 View Post
    How do they do it with RDWC? Peat jiffy pellets? Would that not work? I think you will need a little medium to hold the starting roots (not true aeroponics I guess???). Would the misting not gently remove the medium in time?

This is not an area I know or have read about.

The problem to me of removing the growing medium from around the roots is 2 fold:-

1) Disturbing the root mass will undoubtedly damage all the little hairs developing along the roots.
    2) Stressing the tap root causing severe shock.

Weed plants IMO, especially autos, use tap root stress to trigger growth development.

You clearly enjoy playing with fire :-)

Nice to see someone try something new though.

Hopefully some of the Talks gurus will chime in with their knowledge.

Just my 2c
    From what I read DWC / RDWC usually use rockwool or rootit to start off and then later move this in to popcorn/clay. I might try it as a last resort (not in a rush) but I read the roots need to be clear for aero to be efficient, and that if debris are around it risks blocking the nozzles and pump. To clean the roots would be a delicate process and as you say will likely damage them.

Playing with fire is good as long as we're understanding along the way... to be honest mate I enjoy the learning curve and I'm sure the end result will be super. We're on a bit of a journey together with this

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Fingers crossed some other talk gurus come along to help.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-02-20), Jumper114 (19-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

So what is the end goal so I am clear? In that, I mean to move onto the aeroponics?

A small pot filled with clay pebbles with a 2 inch 3 node plant? Do you remove the pot prior to the aeroponic system?

IMO, you really want to be top feeding and putting the germinated seed in rock wool and then into pebbles. Static water is never a good thing. Nor is root disturbance.

Otherwise, I would put them straight into a pot filled with clay pebble pot. I guess the risk here is being heavy handed, disturbing the pebbles and crushing roots.

Coco is a heck of lot easier! I cut the base of a small degradable pot and put it straight into final pot once above dirt! Simples!
    Current Grow (3L coco autos) : Jumper's 2020 shenanigans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

existence (19-02-20), GEORGE (19-02-20)

Thanks

Thinking about this I would definitely be using feminized seeds for now and getting the knack down. Should save some $$$ :-)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

End goal is to move to aeroponics it's called an amazon aeroponics system.

Thanks for the info.

A neoprene collar is what the plant would be held in and the roots would be developed enough to handle being misted a few times per day early on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	379832

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	379833

I'm just not sure how to get to that size plant in a way that doesn't cake the roots in grow medium. If we tried the rockwool route then I'll struggle to get the roots out of the rockwool I imagine.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-02-20), Jumper114 (19-02-20)

Thanks

That picture makes it look oh so easy.

I think you are right with vermiculite / perlite. Something the roots will not grow through and easy to get off.

Still be tricky getting the root system clean.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was off shopping and was pondering this.

You don't say what seeds these are.

Using perlite, although you would cause some damage I don't see why you cannot clean the roots and move to the aeroponics.

It may well get stunted growth for a bit - but if the system is viable - it should take off from there.

I always assume an autoflower as that is all I grow. You don't need the extra complexities (for now :-P). Keep to feminized and at least it is worth the effort :-) Just the flip to contend with.

Is there no nutrient gel you can use and then rinse off????

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper114 View Post
    I was off shopping and was pondering this.

You don't say what seeds these are.

Using perlite, although you would cause some damage I don't see why you cannot clean the roots and move to the aeroponics.

It may well get stunted growth for a bit - but if the system is viable - it should take off from there.

I always assume an autoflower as that is all I grow. You don't need the extra complexities (for now :-P). Keep to feminized and at least it is worth the effort :-) Just the flip to contend with.

Is there no nutrient gel you can use and then rinse off????
    They're some freebie feminized seeds which arrived with some decent ones

I had a similar idea with nutrient gel. Because the water and substrate had pretty much nothing in it I have added some Formulex... built for seedlings and clones.

But... although I heard you earlier about leaving the test to run I honestly could see a downward spiral happening.

So I took it to bits, inspected everything, and sorted a few bits.

The water is now a lower EC 0.2 base rather than 0.4 tap, the PH is dropped to 5.8 rather than the 6.0-6.5 tap, there's no popcorn in the water res now, just water, because although the popcorn were rinsed it just didn't feel right... the tray looked too cramped. I also took the time to steady move popcorn above to provide additional support.

I noticed a root growing nicely on the right pot and the middle pot root was searching too. The roots are just beyond the water so should grow.

I've also added the lid back on but on the correct prop tray, as the humidity was way too low. I've lowered the PPFD too because it was up at 500, it's now at 200.

The 4th seed showed no signs of progress I think I drowned it. Trying to recover it... it's back in damp paper in darkness... will be interesting to see how resilient these babies are.

I realise it seems a lot of changes but I felt it was needed/// to refresh the system with a good foundation, sort out the humidity and correct lighting intensity. I took on board what you said about top feeding and plan to feed gradually in to the popcorn as the res drops, with the view that the roots gain water for sure, but still can reach lower for water.

I'm still optimistic they'll pull through. I was suprised to see that strong root on the right, I thought this was the least likely to progress.

I'd like to grow auto's some day they looked easier to me... 24h light etc. What do you grow in, coco? Ever tried DWC?

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	379846

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	379847

14. The Following User Says Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-02-20)

Thanks

The seeds are

1x FEMINIZED UFO #1 G13 Labs Seeds White Widow

1x FEMINIZED UFO #2 Dinafem Seeds OG Kush

2x Royal Queen Seeds Critical

No idea which is which I was using them as throwaways but I should definitely keep tabs on this in future.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-02-20)

Thanks

More tweaks to report!!!

Humidifier arrived... increased RH to 55%, temps around 26-30, removed dome.

Since adding the fresh water / Formulex mix yesterday the plants seem to have recovered. The humidifier introduction today has seen some good positive changes. I have been drip feeding some nutrient added water in at the top just a few ml every few hours and it all seems to be having a positive effect.

Plan now is to just leave the lights on 24x7 until they get a more growth, monitor temp and RH to keep in range and see what happens in a couple days.

Early

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	379893

2 hrs later I decided to rotate the pots 180 degrees because the root on the right seemed to be getting fried being exposed. Humidifier introduced RH increased 30-40% to 55%.

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	379894

Another 3 hrs later - drip feed few ml

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	379895

Another 4 hours later - drip feed few ml

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	379896
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	379897  

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-02-20), IceCalibur (20-02-20)

Thanks

The water looks a bit scaly to me but this could be from previously where I washed the tray out with tap.

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	379898

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	379899

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	379900

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to existence For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-02-20), IceCalibur (20-02-20)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast