Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: (Looking for) Roots information and general advice

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,917 Times

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post

When I was using the airpots I was DTW and they were a dead loss they dried out so quickly and no matter how well you pack the sides they eventually start to let water out of their sides which gets worse with every watering creating underground waterways instead of flooding the full pot.
    Aaaand this is why I havent tried them. I thought that might happen. How do you get on with fabric pots though? Same issues or no?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KrazyDave For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (23-02-20), GEORGE (23-02-20), toblue (23-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Quote Originally Posted by F0UR2ZER0 View Post
    Yeah this demonstrates my point perfectly. It's probably bollocks eh. Especially looking at that rootball!

Lemme ask ya something.... do those pots not leak water when you give them a good drink? It's the one thing that's put me off trying them.

Well . If not let too dry the work perfectly . But a few weeks after this pic . They got sooo damn root bound i couldnt even get water down the bottom and repotted them in 5 gallon container from 3 in the pic

In soil ...forget it . These are designed for coco use imho . In soil ,peat moss gets hydrophobic even while still relatively moist ,repells the water and shoots it striaght out the sides . But i did have great results in soil with them but a fawking hassle no less ....

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (23-02-20), GEORGE (23-02-20), IceCalibur (23-02-20), toblue (23-02-20)

Thanks

I thought exactly the same until I actually tried them, both airpots (which I still have in all sizes, cost me a fortune) and fabric pots. But the truth is I get better results from normal pots. I think with normal pots you get more root mass.

When I was using the airpots I was DTW and they were a dead loss they dried out so quickly and no matter how well you pack the sides they eventually start to let water out of their sides which gets worse with every watering creating underground waterways instead of flooding the full pot.
    Thats when you have to feed multiple times a day with them . If that top layer gets bone dry you gotta up the intervals

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (23-02-20), GEORGE (23-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Aaaand this is why I havent tried them. I thought that might happen. How do you get on with fabric pots though? Same issues or no?

Fabric pots are a pain to transplant out of so personally I would only use them as a final pot with cannabis or for any non-cannabis plants where you don't really mind a bit of shock when transplanting.

I thought exactly the same until I actually tried them, both airpots (which I still have in all sizes, cost me a fortune) and fabric pots. But the truth is I get better results from normal pots. I think with normal pots you get more root mass.

Look up Rootmaker pots, they are the original from the guy how pioneered root pruning pots
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10846166_1136187723074965_7463695170263451406_n_480x.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	379980

And I nearly forgot, adding biochar to your soil really lengthens the time it takes for peat based soil to go hydrophobic due to the biochar's water holding capacity.
    Last edited by Cleargreen; 23-02-20 at 03:00 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

Geordie_grower (24-02-20), GEORGE (23-02-20), Trex (23-02-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cleargreen View Post
    Fabric pots are a pain to transplant out of so personally I would only use them as a final pot with cannabis or for any non-cannabis plants where you don't really mind a bit of shock when transplanting.

Look up Rootmaker pots, they are the original from the guy how pioneered root pruning pots
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10846166_1136187723074965_7463695170263451406_n_480x.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	379980

And I nearly forgot, adding biochar to your soil really lengthens the time it takes for peat based soil to go hydrophobic due to the biochar's water holding capacity.
    Yes for sure a goof compost will hold 5x its volume in water . But still once a tad dry depending on the agregates in airpots its a nightmare . My homemade mixes are 50% compost and worm shit and still ...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie_grower View Post
    Jesus Mary Joseph those roots look amazing I’m gonna give that stuff a whirl, Quick question about it when do you usually start to use it I see it says most the way through but usually you get a feel for when to start and stop with it any advice? Thanks
    I use it from seed/cutting up until week 2-3 of flower or as soon as stretch has finished @1/2 ml (0.5 ml) per litre . It's quite concentrated so works out economical, some of these root boosters recommend 5 ml per litre which is crazy. I stop silica a week after that around end of week 4. I don't use any other root stim for cuttings and have a great success rate just with Floriculture Bloom ROOTS.

I like 60/40 clay coco mix, it really is a great combo for roots.

As you can see I like to get them fairly root bound and crammed before I pot up, I think it helps stop shock. If there ain't enough root and they start falling apart it can knock them back for up to a week or even more.
    Last edited by toblue; 23-02-20 at 12:12 PM.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (23-02-20), Geordie_grower (24-02-20), GEORGE (23-02-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Thats when you have to feed multiple times a day with them . If that top layer gets bone dry you gotta up the intervals

Now I recirculate my nutrients I feed three times a day for 15 minutes each session but when I ran drain to waste (DTW) it would break my heart watching all them nutes run down the drain.

I did find yucca extract helped when using Airpots.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (23-02-20), GEORGE (23-02-20), Trex (23-02-20)

Thanks

I liked the fabric pots but as someone has already mentioned they are bad to pot up without damaging the roots so only really suitable for the final pot, and they MUST sit on a wire rack or something to allow air flow underneath the bottom.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

I use the airpots with coco and feed every 2 hours.

The nutes come out of the base, not out of the sides. Just as well as I use an automatic drain to waste - so water pissing out the sides would be a massive pain to clean up!
    Current Grow (3L coco autos) : Jumper's 2020 shenanigans

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (23-02-20), GEORGE (23-02-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (23-02-20), toblue (23-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,310 Times

Yea cracking set of roots bro.
    Mustvtry some os this root boost.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Toms Iws Flood & drain system using coco. 2020.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...ems-using-Coco

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tom222 For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (23-02-20), GEORGE (23-02-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (23-02-20), toblue (23-02-20)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast