Thread: 24"x48"x60" Tent and a 6" 442 CFM fan....too much?

Thanks

Default 24"x48"x60" Tent and a 6" 442 CFM fan....too much?

Just went to unpack and put together this "ventilation kit", and it seems way too big for this tent. From what I am reading, I could do with one that does 100 CFM with that size tent, but the fact I am growing 5 plants makes me wonder if i will need the ventilation, especially in this size tent for that many plants. I'm also thinking I went too big and should have started with two. My main question is should I drop the fan to a lower CFM? I am really confused by this part of it. Funniest thing is I work for an HVAC company. I should have really been paying better attention.
    Am I even going to have enough room to 5 plants?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cannaKim For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-02-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cannaKim View Post
    Just went to unpack and put together this "ventilation kit", and it seems way too big for this tent. From what I am reading, I could do with one that does 100 CFM with that size tent, but the fact I am growing 5 plants makes me wonder if i will need the ventilation, especially in this size tent for that many plants. I'm also thinking I went too big and should have started with two. My main question is should I drop the fan to a lower CFM? I am really confused by this part of it. Funniest thing is I work for an HVAC company. I should have really been paying better attention.
    Am I even going to have enough room to 5 plants?
    Ok, so quick update, I am going to return the fan kit, and i got a much smaller one. I also am coming to the realization that I have too many plants, but I honestly didn't expect them all to sprout!
    Does anyone have any recommendations for some diagrams for options of setting up the ventilation. I seem to have fallen into a hole in the internet where I am going in circles trying to find pictures and videos I know I have seen before and now can't find. Again, making this much harder than it has to be, I'm sure.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cannaKim For This Useful Post:

cough (22-02-20), GEORGE (22-02-20)

5. Default

Hi cannaKim

Ok, so you can either place the extraction fan inside the tent or outside, the further the fan is away from the grow area the bigger the fan you will need..same with how many bends you have in your ducting, the more bends you place..the less efficient the air is getting pulled out which in turn again requires a larger fan. It's also recommended to go for a larger size fan and have it turned down via a fan controller if possible..this will also lead to a reduction in fan noise, but if this isn't possible then no problem.

In an area you're looking to grow in, I would say 2 or 4 smaller plants can be grown (small pots), with a 5" fan being more than adequate to do the job, a large 4 inch would also do it, but would again all depend on how far away from the grow area it is and how many bends you have in the ducting.

It's also VERY important that the air your extracting out of the tent, is being pushed outside or at the least away from the room the air is being pulled into your tent from...I push mine into my loft for example.

I've very quickly (and roughly lol) drawn an example of flow with some notes that might help you too

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

cannaKim (23-02-20), cough (22-02-20), GEORGE (22-02-20), M_C (22-02-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (22-02-20)

Thanks

Holy hemp seeds that was exactly what I needed to learn. Simply. The new fan is 220. So I won’t need a second fan to pull air into the tent because the extracting fan will do it for me? The only other air flow I need is a fan blowing on the plants, if I’m understanding this. Thank you so much for taking that time to dumb it down for me.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cannaKim For This Useful Post:

cough (22-02-20), GEORGE (22-02-20), IceCalibur (22-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,984 Times

If you have the right conditions, ie:suction in the tent (and you will), the extract will create the conditions for the fresh air to be pulled in. You can assist it with an intake fan if you want, I'm deciding just that myself. I have cut in the fresh air intake and I have a spare fan but I might leave it and see how it goes, I can add it if I need.
    A fan throwing air over the canopy will help with your distances.

EDIT: Lol @ holy hemp seeds
    STICK YOUR SKINS AND SPIN UP

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cough For This Useful Post:

cannaKim (23-02-20), GEORGE (22-02-20), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (22-02-20)

11. Default

Holy hemp seeds that was exactly what I needed to learn. Simply. The new fan is 220. So I won’t need a second fan to pull air into the tent because the extracting fan will do it for me? The only other air flow I need is a fan blowing on the plants, if I’m understanding this. Thank you so much for taking that time to dumb it down for me.
    You're welcome cannaKim..you won't need a second fan for intake in a grow area of your size, and yep..a fan circulating air inside the tent is very important..

I use mine between the tips of my canopy and my light to help disperse heat and give a nice gentle flutter to the plants to strengthen them and it also helps with heat spots

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

cannaKim (23-02-20), cough (23-02-20), GEORGE (22-02-20)

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C391CBE6-90E2-479E-94FA-4E561176E5CF.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	380006

Success!! I Can’t thAnk you enough. I was really intimidated and your help was what made it click.
    Thanks again!
    * not sure why it’s turning my picture sideways .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7B96478D-E578-48EA-A5B1-064C16008DA1.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	380007  
    Last edited by cannaKim; 23-02-20 at 05:55 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cannaKim For This Useful Post:

cough (23-02-20), GEORGE (23-02-20), IceCalibur (23-02-20)

15. Default

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C391CBE6-90E2-479E-94FA-4E561176E5CF.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	380006

Success!! I Can’t thAnk you enough. I was really intimidated and your help was what made it click.
    Thanks again!
    * not sure why it’s turning my picture sideways .....
    Happy for you and no problem at all!

Here is your pic right way up..I'm not sure why this happens from time to time

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

cannaKim (24-02-20), cough (23-02-20), GEORGE (23-02-20)