Thread: Anyone ever built a smell proof drying box?

Thanks

Default Anyone ever built a smell proof drying box?

I'm thinking of taking a plastic box like the iris 50l airtight box, cutting a hole in the top and silicone a carbon filter on it (either a cooker one as it won't be under pressure or a duct style one because I think it will be better for the smell). I would put a stack of wire racks in it and if I need to I'd fit a small vivarium style mat heater to the base (because it's cold here and I can't do it in the house). Potentially also putting a tiny computer fan in there to keep the air circulating. I know plastic isn't "smell proof" but the easiest way out for the air is through the filter, not the plastic. The background is that this is my first grow in a while and my first single chamber grow, plus it's under LEDs in a room that needs to be heated to stop it dropping under about 15c. Previously I used to dry in my grow chamber, but the heat from LEDs doean't cut it and I don't think there will be room while I continue to use the chamber to grow. Anyone tried this or something like it? Any feedback ideas appreciated.

EDIT: Just to be clear I am not looking for 100% smell proof, I am just looking to reduce it to a reasonable level so as not to alarm the neighbours and house visitors.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Green Jay For This Useful Post:

G' (05-03-20), GEORGE (29-02-20), M_C (29-02-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

You'd still need some pressure to rid the area of the moisture. I'd use a real carbon filter rather than mess around with cooker hood filters, you'll know it'll work that way
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

G' (05-03-20), GEORGE (29-02-20), IceCalibur (29-02-20)

5. Default

Yeah I'm with M_C on this...I wouldn't much about with all that, just stick in a good carbon filter with some good flow and you'll be gravy

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

G' (05-03-20), GEORGE (29-02-20), M_C (29-02-20)

Thanks

Yeah, I was looking to do a slower dry than that. The fan driven ones seem to dry weed in about 2 days which is way too fast for me. The longer the dry, the smoother, the better in my humble experience. I was looking at a non fan driven version in order to keep it slow. I was hoping the moisture would leave the air by osmosis. I understand why you are saying “pressure” to exchange the air, I am thinking that this would be more the equivalent of using paper bags to slow the rate that the moisture leaves the bud rather than building something which is the equivalent of another tent to put the bud in and suck the air out through a carbon filter. The possible problems are that the carbon filter might get clogged by the humidity as the rate at which new drier air gets brought in is much slower. In fact it would really be relying on keeping mostly the same air in the box/chamber and just osmoting the moisture out. I’d still open it every day for a few minutes to give a daily air exchange, and I’m looking to dry over about 10-14 days. I am also dubious about car filters/cooker hood filters as they are less effective under pressure but if this is not under pressure and the air/moisture is lazily exchanging with the ambient air then the lesser capability might be fine. The traditional tube type carbon filters that people use for their grows would be a cumbersome thing to attach to lightweight plastic. I’d probably be looking at putting some sheet wood on either side of it (screwed and siliconed together) to reinforce it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Green Jay For This Useful Post:

G' (05-03-20), GEORGE (01-03-20), M_C (01-03-20)

Thanks

Only thing I can see with it bei g slower at dry would be mould as all that moisture will just sit around.

I've just built a new cupboard that I'm doubling up as a dry camber at mo it is outside and has a heater on very low its smell proof and doesn't seem to be drying buds out too quick

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cbd captain For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-03-20)