Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone on here use or have used chitosan?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,200 Times

Default Does anyone on here use or have used chitosan?

Anybody tried this as a PGR alternative, been reading into it recently an seems like the UK still use forms of PGRs on apples, pears and cherries etc, so has anyone used what I assume is a organic version in coco and does it increase trichomes, density, smell and so on....quite curious

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lowrollerbean For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-03-20), M_C (05-03-20), supremeweeder (05-03-20), ToughCall (11-05-20), Trex (05-03-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,776 Times

EZ-Gro Chitosan is a plant growth enhancer that is also used to boost the defensive ability of plants in fighting fungal infections. Its active ingredient, chitosan, is a natural compound found in the shells of crustaceans and other shellfish. Chitosan enhances the ability of plants to survive in times of heat or cold stress and drought. It can give plants the ability to grow with less water and can accelerate growth and germination, and improve the quality of flowers and fruit. Apply EZ-Gro Chitosan to your crops to protect against fungal infections, heat and cold stress, drought and improve overall quality.
    It would be interesting to know if it lives up to its claims....
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-03-20), ToughCall (11-05-20)

Thanks

Does seem interesting, very cheap to so I may have to try this in a side by side soil run with cuts at some point, personally I was looking at it as a replacement bud hardener to add density, seems like it has many other benefits, found it for £10 per 100g obviously people must use it, and I understand it's not sone groundbreaking new stuff or else everyone would be using it, but could work as a replacement

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lowrollerbean For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm thinking this is along the lines of silicon? Any suggestions MC?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lowrollerbean For This Useful Post:

Thanks

After a lot more reading, it also seems to benefit the the good micros in the soil, LOGIN / REGISTER
    Impact Factor 4.259 | CiteScore 4.30
    More on impact ›

in Microbiology
    TOGGLE NAVIGATION
    THIS ARTICLE IS PART OF THE RESEARCH TOPIC
    Harnessing useful rhizosphere microorganisms for pathogen and pest biocontrol View all 26 Articles

Suggest a Research Topic >

7,762TOTAL VIEWS

ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLE
    Front. Microbiol., 21 April 2016 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2016.00565
    Chitin Mixed in Potting Soil Alters Lettuce Growth, the Survival of Zoonotic Bacteria on the Leaves and Associated Rhizosphere Microbiology
    Jane Debode1*, Caroline De Tender1, Saman Soltaninejad1,2, Cinzia Van Malderghem1, Annelies Haegeman1, Inge Van der Linden2,3, Bart Cottyn1, Marc Heyndrickx2,4 and Martine Maes1,5
    1Plant Sciences Unit, Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research, Merelbeke, Belgium
    2Technology and Food Science Unit, Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research, Melle, Belgium
    3Department of Food Safety and Food Quality, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
    4Department of Pathology, Bacteriology, and Poultry Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, Ghent University, Merelbeke, Belgium
    5Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
    Chitin is a promising soil amendment for improving soil quality, plant growth, and plant resilience. The objectives of this study were twofold. First, to study the effect of chitin mixed in potting soil on lettuce growth and on the survival of two zoonotic bacterial pathogens, Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella enterica on the lettuce leaves. Second, to assess the related changes in the microbial lettuce rhizosphere, using phospholipid fatty acid (PLFA) analysis and amplicon sequencing of a bacterial 16S rRNA gene fragment and the fungal ITS2. As a result of chitin addition, lettuce fresh yield weight was significantly increased. S. enterica survival in the lettuce phyllosphere was significantly reduced. The E. coli O157:H7 survival was also lowered, but not significantly. Moreover, significant changes were observed in the bacterial and fungal community of the lettuce rhizosphere. PLFA analysis showed a significant increase in fungal and bacterial biomass. Amplicon sequencing showed no increase in fungal and bacterial biodiversity, but relative abundances of the bacterial phyla Acidobacteria, Verrucomicrobia, Actinobacteria, Bacteroidetes, and Proteobacteria and the fungal phyla Ascomycota, Basidiomycota, and Zygomycota were significantly changed. More specifically, a more than 10-fold increase was observed for operational taxonomic units belonging to the bacterial genera Cellvibrio, Pedobacter, Dyadobacter, and Streptomyces and to the fungal genera Lecanicillium and Mortierella. These genera include several species previously reported to be involved in biocontrol, plant growth promotion, the nitrogen cycle and chitin degradation. These results enhance the understanding of the response of the rhizosphere microbiome to chitin amendment. Moreover, this is the first study to investigate the use of soil amendments to control the survival of S. enterica on plant leaves.

Introduction
    Utilization of organic amendments, such as chitin, is one of the most economical and practical options for improving soil and substrate quality, plant growth, and plant resilience (De Boer et al., 1999; El Hadrami et al., 2010; Sharp, 2013). Chitin is a biopolymer that is distributed among many water and soil organisms as it is a major constituent of the cell walls of fungi, the exoskeleton of arthropods and the shells of crustacean and nematode eggs. It is the second most abundant biopolymer in nature after cellulose, with an estimated natural production of 1010 tons per year (Jacquiod et al., 2013). Soil treatment with chitin has been shown to decrease the rate of infection of plant roots by nematodes (Sarathchandra et al., 1996; Radwan et al., 2012) and to increase disease suppressiveness against the fungal soil-borne pathogens Verticillium dahliae and Rhizoctonia solani (Cretoiu et al., 2013; Postma and Schilder, 2015). The mechanism behind this suppressiveness most often relates to a change in the microbiota in soil and rhizosphere (Cretoiu et al., 2013). Microorganisms, which are capable of hydrolyzing the chitinous cell wall of pathogenic fungi and nematodes eggs, increase their numbers and/or activities in response to the chitin added. In addition, also secondary responders to the added chitin confer overall pathogen suppression. Next to a direct effect on pathogens, changes in this rhizosphere microbiology may also affect the plant physiology and its capacity to be colonized by microorganisms, including plant and human pathogens (El Hadrami et al., 2010; Gu et al., 2013; Markland et al., 2015). Rhizosphere organisms are well-studied for their beneficial effects on plant growth and health, including nitrogen-fixing bacteria, mycorrhizal fungi, biocontrol agents, plant growth promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR), and fungi (PGPF; Berendsen et al., 2012). Studies have shown that these beneficial organisms in the rhizosphere can be increased by the utilization of chitin amendment in order to enhance plant growth and resilience to plant pathogens

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lowrollerbean For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I do apologise, using my phone, didn't actually mean to copy that, just the couple of lines at the bottom, if there are any links I also apologise for that too as it was by accident

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lowrollerbean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,776 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrollerbean View Post
    I'm thinking this is along the lines of silicon? Any suggestions MC?
    @Redisiel or @Trex are probably the best people to ask

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-03-20), ToughCall (11-05-20), Trex (05-03-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Always liked Sea and Fish products . Give it a shot .
    If ya want silicone . Use Gro-Sil . Its 99% pure

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-03-20), M_C (05-03-20), ToughCall (11-05-20)

Thanks

I'm just testing the water to see if anyone here has used it, I read through reds organic post before and he does mention chitin so popped him a little pm, in my wild imagination am thinking, this combined with great white and a splash of rhizo...All combined would give a very healthy root system a lot faster, I've seen the results with just rhizo and rhizo GW combo by bud so figured incorporating something extra to feed the mycos would make it faster...imagination land is what brought us all here anyway right?....ramble over, lowroller out

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lowrollerbean For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-03-20), ToughCall (11-05-20), Trex (06-03-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrollerbean View Post
    I'm just testing the water to see if anyone here has used it, I read through reds organic post before and he does mention chitin so popped him a little pm, in my wild imagination am thinking, this combined with great white and a splash of rhizo...All combined would give a very healthy root system a lot faster, I've seen the results with just rhizo and rhizo GW combo by bud so figured incorporating something extra to feed the mycos would make it faster...imagination land is what brought us all here anyway right?....ramble over, lowroller out
    Yea . Chitin is in crustaceans . When i said fish i meant them also crab shells are high in it but take a good while to decompose

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-03-20), ToughCall (11-05-20)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast