Thread: Would a hydro guy give me some advice please?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,136 Times

Default Would a hydro guy give me some advice please?

I've started a grow journal in the LED section. In hindsight I should have posted in DWC. My seeds have popped but I'm not sure how to proceed.
    1 is paper towel method, the other was started as a backup directly into Rockwool the following day.
    I'm using a Brummie boiler and need to know
    1) whether to put paper towel seed directly into pebbles or into rockwool 1st
    2) whether to have the drip ring running for 24 hrs or on/off at ? times
    3) whether to put the seed in and have the light on immediately or into darkness for ? hours
    I can either start light with HLG 150w quantum Board LED with dimmer or 300w CFL. Any suggestions really appreciated?
    Last question for now, how long can the seeds sit in my airing cupboard when they are as in the pics below. I have a bag over the rockwool cube to stop it drying out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seed in gauze.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	380509 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seed in rockwool.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	380510

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Solyom For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-03-20), Krofam (08-03-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,588 Times

1, put it into rockwool first. i use root riot cubes myself.
    2, run it 24/7. i do this till roots hit the res. not really needed after that. but it all depends how your setup.
    3, run it lights on, for as long as your day cycle is. i veg with light on 24/7.

id say start with the 300w cfl for atleast a week. then switch when you see its settled.

the one in rockwool should be ok as long as it stays moist. root will grow into it.
    the papertowel one just keep moist, but longer its in there the longer the roo will grow and imo, its harder to pot up without damaging roots.

i have a completed diary i was mentored on. pop in and have a look. it has many questions and many answers.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Krofam For This Useful Post:

B.R.E.W. (03-04-20), GEORGE (08-03-20), M_C (08-03-20), The Solyom (08-03-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,136 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Krofam View Post
    1, put it into rockwool first. i use root riot cubes myself.
    2, run it 24/7. i do this till roots hit the res. not really needed after that. but it all depends how your setup.
    3, run it lights on, for as long as your day cycle is. i veg with light on 24/7.

id say start with the 300w cfl for atleast a week. then switch when you see its settled.

the one in rockwool should be ok as long as it stays moist. root will grow into it.
    the papertowel one just keep moist, but longer its in there the longer the roo will grow and imo, its harder to pot up without damaging roots.

i have a completed diary i was mentored on. pop in and have a look. it has many questions and many answers.
    Many thanks Krofam, as suggested CFL, everything running 24 hours but I put the seed in with a bit of gauze to protect the root from direct light. As you can see in the pics there are 2 more babies in there. I thought they had died! I'll keep 1 or 2 and bin 1 or 2, let's see how they develop.

Name:	day 2.1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	380529

Name:	day 2.2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	380530

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Solyom For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-03-20), Krofam (08-03-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,588 Times

no need to throw them away bud.
    what i recommend is, getting yourself some pot noodle pots. ones thats been thoroughly cleaned. and plant them in that.

now, you can go 2 ways with this.
    1, flower it and youll get a few grams from it.
    2, make in a bonsai for now.

then the bonsai can be used as a mother for next and future grows. by then it will be sexually matured
    im sure there was a sticky thread on here about keeping bonsais to save space.

how i used to do it is, take a few clones just before flower. and by the time grow is done, the clone is now big enough to take clones from. so i repeat, leaving one of the new clones as the new mum.

kept 4 strains for almost 3 years this way.
    had 2 phenos of bogk and a nitro express that i won on this site and an alien fire strawberry og from herbies. all of them being from reg seeds.

this can be done from seed too. what i generaly do with boinsais is pretrain them into the mainline.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krofam For This Useful Post:

B.R.E.W. (03-04-20), GEORGE (08-03-20)