Thread: Ventilation help

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 4

Default Answered: Ventilation help

Hey I have a bit of a dilema, just wondering how to put a 10" duct through a sheet of black and white thats covering a velux window?
    I have used hook and loop sticky tape so I have access to the window. I have a 10" wall plate... should i incorparate this or just cut a smaller hole out of the sheet and squeeze the acoustic ducting in?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!
    Using black and white with hook and loop wasnt ideal but was the only option unfortunately...
    Last edited by underground; 26-03-20 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added photo now

2. "Personally I would cut another square of black n white and put it on the glass of the window black side out to blend, cut a 10 inch hole in the sheet you have up on the wall and poke the vent thru to sit between that sheet and the window sheet. Vent wont be visible from outside and helps prevent light leaks.

When you cut the hole in the sheet, line the cut edge with duct tape to strengthen it. Will help stop the weight of the vent just tearing the black n white.

Make sure to use some kind of bug screen on the end of the vent to stop any nasties crawling in. Specially with it going directly outside. Try to angle the vent so that moisture cant run back in either Just be careful as each bend reduces airflow."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to underground For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-03-20), Mac (26-03-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 25,492 Times
    Provided Answers: 17

Personally I would cut another square of black n white and put it on the glass of the window black side out to blend, cut a 10 inch hole in the sheet you have up on the wall and poke the vent thru to sit between that sheet and the window sheet. Vent wont be visible from outside and helps prevent light leaks.

When you cut the hole in the sheet, line the cut edge with duct tape to strengthen it. Will help stop the weight of the vent just tearing the black n white.

Make sure to use some kind of bug screen on the end of the vent to stop any nasties crawling in. Specially with it going directly outside. Try to angle the vent so that moisture cant run back in either Just be careful as each bend reduces airflow.

NO SELL, NO SMELL, NO TELL!!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-03-20), underground (26-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maccajuana View Post
    Personally I would cut another square of black n white and put it on the glass of the window black side out to blend, cut a 10 inch hole in the sheet you have up on the wall and poke the vent thru to sit between that sheet and the window sheet. Vent wont be visible from outside and helps prevent light leaks.

Make sure to use some kind of bug screen on the end of the vent to stop any nasties crawling in. Specially with it going directly outside. Try to angle the vent so that moisture cant run back in either Just be careful as each bend reduces airflow.
    Hi thanks for the reply, i already have inset blackout blinds on the window itself. Im hoping to extract to this as velux windows have a passive air vent across the top wich allows quite a bit of airflow so the window wouldnt have to be cracked much. Would i still need a bug filter? Going to be extracting from a tent

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to underground For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 25,492 Times
    Provided Answers: 17

Quote Originally Posted by underground View Post
    Hi thanks for the reply, i already have inset blackout blinds on the window itself. Im hoping to extract to this as velux windows have a passive air vent across the top wich allows quite a bit of airflow so the window wouldnt have to be cracked much. Would i still need a bug filter? Going to be extracting from a tent
    Blackout blinds are perfect The velux vent should be fine with the opening sealed like you have.
    I would still stick a screen on, better safe than sorry. A pair of the missus tights (not her best fishnets )work just as well as any shop bought screens, hessian sack, old t-shirt etc etc. any kind of breathable material thats not too loosely woven will work.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-03-20), underground (26-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maccajuana View Post
    Blackout blinds are perfect The velux vent should be fine with the opening sealed like you have.
    I would still stick a screen on, better safe than sorry. A pair of the missus tights (not her best fishnets )work just as well as any shop bought screens, hessian sack, old t-shirt etc etc. any kind of breathable material thats not too loosely woven will work.
    Yeah will get some tights off our lass lol might muffle some airflow sound too, hopefully get potted up this weekend can't wait! Its been nearly 2 years since last grow. Might even do a diary.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to underground For This Useful Post: