Thread: What to do with extra extension lead

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,381 Times
    Provided Answers: 8

Default Answered: What to do with extra extension lead

I could only find 1.2.10 meyer leads
    i use 2x 10meter leads for my lights... I neeeed 4 meters..

The extra 6 meter is uncoiled but is everywhere hazzardly what do i do? Leaf it all the way round ma tent?

2. "
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGreen View Post

The extra 6 meter is uncoiled but is everywhere hazzardly what do i do? Leaf it all the way round ma tent?
    Just buy a roll of cable and get some socket units from Screwfix. A lot cheaper than leads if you know what you're doing (not hard to google it if you don't so don't panic)

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrGreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-03-20), Slazenger (26-03-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,484 Times
    Provided Answers: 4

Just buy a roll of cable and get some socket units from Screwfix. A lot cheaper than leads if you know what you're doing (not hard to google it if you don't so don't panic)

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slazenger For This Useful Post:

British green (26-03-20), GEORGE (26-03-20), M_C (26-03-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,876 Times
    Provided Answers: 510

^^^

That's not to far off what I did
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (26-03-20), GEORGE (26-03-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times
    Provided Answers: 36

Your best leaving uncoiled but keep a check on how hot and flexible they become.
    You can get volt drop over certain distances meaning the cable is actually pulling more volts/watts then the source actually demands to keep up with the demand.

As above ^^^ if possible make ya own with socket boxes
    If possible

in a green and pleasant land

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-03-20), M_C (26-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slazenger View Post

Here's one of the set ups I've got. Can do ring or radial. Depends on your needs. Read up about it and the data should explain a lot

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slazenger For This Useful Post:

B.R.E.W. (27-03-20), GEORGE (26-03-20), Shreder (26-03-20)

Thanks

I wouldnt dare touch the plug socket lol. Or trust my work there haha

So i run a seperate 10m 14a p heavy duty cable
    Ive.hecked volt drop and at that amp its not u til 15meter u get 0.2 start which is allowable so 10m should be fine.
    I just hate all the wire laying there

Im doing this grow and moving house also so dont wana change toomuch
    Electric forum told me 4.5amp 600watt x2 would be safe on 1 lead but meh i went for 2 so there is even less on the line.

So each 14amp 10m cable has 4.5amp fireup 3Mp in use 600wT and contactor timer on each

Just they go up 2.5m and across 1m and there at the tent.... The 600watt also have 2meter and 1 meter cables ffs lol but just shy of enoigh to reach the wall without puttin ballasts in bedroom lol then the lights shy of connecting..... So extension lead 10m

2m would have plugs half way down me wall in bedroom or a lead o nly just poking up ballasts have to sit in the eves area....
    Doable but... Wanted them clesr and open for fire reasons and access

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DrGreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-03-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times
    Provided Answers: 52

Cheapest way would be to chop the excess off the reel and reterminate in a new socket. If youre lucky the old one may allow it to be reused.

I would imagine the 10m is specced correctly and as BG says will sort that pesky voltage drop.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-03-20)

Thanks

I wouldnt dare touch the plug socket lol. Or trust my work there haha

So i run a seperate 10m 14a p heavy duty cable
    Ive.hecked volt drop and at that amp its not u til 15meter u get 0.2 start which is allowable so 10m should be fine.
    I just hate all the wire laying there

Im doing this grow and moving house also so dont wana change toomuch
    Electric forum told me 4.5amp 600watt x2 would be safe on 1 lead but meh i went for 2 so there is even less on the line.

So each 14amp 10m cable has 4.5amp fireup 3Mp in use 600wT and contactor timer on each

Just they go up 2.5m and across 1m and there at the tent.... The 600watt also have 2meter and 1 meter cables ffs lol but just shy of enoigh to reach the wall without puttin ballasts in bedroom lol then the lights shy of connecting..... So extension lead 10m

2m would have plugs half way down me wall in bedroom or a lead o nly just poking up ballasts have to sit in the eves area....
    Doable but... Wanted them clesr and open for fire reasons and access
    Wire size, fuse rating and desired load.. go on Google. Search up on the electrical regulations cable size amp rating. Divide your watts by volts and that's your load so go higher. Don't coil cable. The weakest point in your circuit should always be the fuse. 1.5mm twin + E with a 8 amp fuse be plentiful.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Slazenger For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-03-20)

Thanks

Wire size, fuse rating and desired load.. go on Google. Search up on the electrical regulations cable size amp rating. Divide your watts by volts and that's your load so go higher. Don't coil cable. The weakest point in your circuit should always be the fuse. 1.5mm twin + E with a 8 amp fuse be plentiful.

My 10m extensions are made by masterplug and are 3 core 1.25mm wire. It says there fully rated for 13 amp loads
    The 600w hps is 2.9amp 4amp fireup.

They should be ok?
    the mrs trying to get me to spur off the socket like your saying but im fekin scared to srems to me it eill make more fire risk to me lol ive no idea why old storys i guess

Im in 2 minds.... Am i safe? If am safe ru ning off my 2 cables il do it. If not il spur a socket i guess? Talk to me more lol.

I got 2 grow 10 weeks to do and im. Moving. But its my loft and over my family so i want it 100%

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DrGreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-03-20)

Thanks

My 10m extensions are made by masterplug and are 3 core 1.25mm wire. It says there fully rated for 13 amp loads
    The 600w hps is 2.9amp 4amp fireup.

They should be ok?
    the mrs trying to get me to spur off the socket like your saying but im fekin scared to srems to me it eill make more fire risk to me lol ive no idea why old storys i guess

Im in 2 minds.... Am i safe? If am safe ru ning off my 2 cables il do it. If not il spur a socket i guess? Talk to me more lol.

I got 2 grow 10 weeks to do and im. Moving. But its my loft and over my family so i want it 100%
    Yeah it should be alright. Just don't leave it coiled up. If you start to get bulbs flickering or warm cables then you'll need to shorten/ increase the the wire

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Slazenger For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-03-20)