Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: newbie start - hardwater area

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,898 Times

Default newbie start - hardwater area

Hey,

Very new here, bought a load of things several years ago but never got round to it - well now thanks to this lockdown I plan to, and hopefully start off tonight.

I have a 1.2 1.2 2m tent in the connected garage, already set up (will need tweaking)

parabolic with lumii 600w and Sunmaster 600w Dual Spectrum

15l airpots

Lights will be 24/0

Medium is canna coco and perlite (will make that approx 70/30 mix)

I have a few nutes:

Plant Magic Magne+Cal
    PH Down
    Canna Coco A+B
    Canna PK 13/14
    Canna Rhizotonic

I only have like 10 or 11 seeds in total, all autos White Widow XXL, Royal Critical Automatic, Nirvana Blueberry Kush Auto

My main concerns are my PH, and mastering nutrients

My water is extremely hard, around 0.8 ec according to my meter Getting bottled water is a bit harder/more laborious now thanks to the lockdown with queues etc so not practical, and the water pressure in my house is a bit crap too so not sure I'd be able to get away with getting an RO meter either

Questions.

1) I'm thinking 3 or 4 plants in the tent? How many should I try to germinate. I bought these seeds like 4yrs ago now so hope they work, but don't want to have them tossed out if have too many germinate successfully

2) I'll germinate using the kitchen roll method. I read that its suggested to add some rhizotonic to the water (including when soaking). How much of that should I add?

3) Because of my extremely hard tap water, should I just try and hope the plants cope with it, but using half the amount of nutrients to what are listed?

4) If I am using tap water for the main grow, I do still have some bottled water, should I at the very least use bottled water for the seedlings/first few days and then introduce?

5) Would I be better making frequent posts on the newbies section? Or go straight for the diary section to hopefully. Hoping some kind souls can walk me through it step by step as I make my mistakes

Thanks lads, hopefully one of many posts as I learn

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Isolation For This Useful Post:

ceevee (12-04-20), GEORGE (12-04-20), Jingo (12-04-20), Mac (12-04-20), thrasher (15-04-20), Valentina (12-04-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Good luck

Canna should still be ok with that hard water but if that fails vitalink coir max HW ( hard water ) is a great blend for chalky water

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-20), Isolation (12-04-20), Jingo (12-04-20), Mac (12-04-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,624 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Isolation View Post
    Hey,

Very new here, bought a load of things several years ago but never got round to it - well now thanks to this lockdown I plan to, and hopefully start off tonight.

I have a 1.2 1.2 2m tent in the connected garage, already set up (will need tweaking)

parabolic with lumii 600w and Sunmaster 600w Dual Spectrum

15l airpots

Lights will be 24/0

Medium is canna coco and perlite (will make that approx 70/30 mix)

I have a few nutes:

Plant Magic Magne+Cal
    PH Down
    Canna Coco A+B
    Canna PK 13/14
    Canna Rhizotonic

I only have like 10 or 11 seeds in total, all autos White Widow XXL, Royal Critical Automatic, Nirvana Blueberry Kush Auto

My main concerns are my PH, and mastering nutrients

My water is extremely hard, around 0.8 ec according to my meter Getting bottled water is a bit harder/more laborious now thanks to the lockdown with queues etc so not practical, and the water pressure in my house is a bit crap too so not sure I'd be able to get away with getting an RO meter either

Questions.

1) I'm thinking 3 or 4 plants in the tent?

5) Would I be better making frequent posts on the newbies section? Or go straight for the diary section to hopefully. Hoping some kind souls can walk me through it step by step as I make my mistakes

Thanks lads, hopefully one of many posts as I learn
    I would just plant two right now and get your experience built up. Hard water will be an issue for you I think, it will reduce the amount of nutrients you can actually feed and it will kind of complicate figuring out nutrient deficiencies and such. You may want to consider a water distiller and mixing distilled water with tap water?

you have a pretty good setup and it looks like a thoughtful start why don't you put up a a diary here on the talk? people would be happy to follow and help you out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-20), Isolation (12-04-20), Mac (12-04-20), M_C (12-04-20), Squaggy (12-04-20)

Thanks

Thanks,

Yes I will put up a diary for certain shortly, I will start with just the setup photos, though nothing exciting to see...its an empty tent with some light up and pots on the ground

I could potentially try for an RO Meter from amazon and wait for that and hope the water pressure is enough (and that I don't need to mess with tap adapters).....there was a 4 stage 50 gallon per day on there but typically that is now out of stock

I was hoping I'd maybe get away with the tap water (I do still have some bottled water and can access, but certainly inconvenient to have to keep getting a load especially with the way things are at the moment...hoping that it is basically would mean no need to use cal/mag and just go lighter doses on the other stuff

For what its worth - the other half does manage to grow tomatos outside using our tap water haha so guess it's not entirely lethal water

Maybe then, I should try to germinate 4 seeds.....if all 4 germinate then great, but aim for minimum of 2

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Isolation For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-20), Jingo (12-04-20), Mac (12-04-20)

Thanks

Found other alternative RO options to buy (not next day though) - they look confusing as anything to setup though (I'm no plumber)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Isolation For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isolation View Post
    Found other alternative RO options to buy (not next day though) - they look confusing as anything to setup though (I'm no plumber)
    Yeah setting it up will depend an awful lot on what kind of plumbing you have already. Probably the most difficult to deal with would be iron pipe, followed by copper, if you're lucky you've got something like pex. I guess you could always switch out to PVC pipe that's pretty easy as long as you're dealing with cold water it works well.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-20), Isolation (12-04-20), Mac (12-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    Yeah setting it up will depend an awful lot on what kind of plumbing you have already. Probably the most difficult to deal with would be iron pipe, followed by copper, if you're lucky you've got something like pex. I guess you could always switch out to PVC pipe that's pretty easy as long as you're dealing with cold water it works well.

haha that pretty much went over my head

In the meantime....I've cleared out the garage a little bit - I set up the tent months ago - took a few quick pics so I'll start a diary thing up in a moment.....still torn....searching it seems that I should be ok so long as I don't go above 0.2 of what it is currently for starting (and using bottled water in the seedling stage).....here's hoping - will post link of the Diary when its up

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Isolation For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Post now up here

I have too few posts to allow me to link to it but its called "First ever grow - Autos - Hardwater area coco - In isolation - Clueless newbie " in the Newbie corner section

Just read my tap water to remind myself....1080microsiemens - was that 1.0EC then? (I'll do some searching on that)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isolation For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-20), Mac (12-04-20)

Thanks

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...ueless-newbie-)

Last edited by Jingo; 12-04-20 at 05:06 PM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-20), Isolation (12-04-20), Mac (12-04-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,042 Times

For hard water mate best advice I could give you is "move" :P I have exactly the same problem and its a bitch.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cont3 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-20), Isolation (12-04-20), Jingo (12-04-20), Loki (15-04-20), Mac (12-04-20)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast