Thread: When do I top my plants for the first time?

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 1

Default Answered: When do I top my plants for the first time?

Hi guys I was wondering, when do I top my plants for the first time, the plants germinated March 19th and where put into Jiffy Pellets March 20th, and by the 21st they had surfaced with the first 2 leaves, and then into the 1L pots on the 24th March and then into the 12L pots on the 8th April, I’ll attach photos bellow, I’ve read all different things on what node to cut at at where to cut, some say up the stem above a node (4th 5th 6th is what I’ve read so not sure which one because then they say above that node won’t get efficient growth basically, and bellow the node they said they say isn’t good it can cause the point to have problems ie stunted growth) others say close to the node as possible, (again with the same problems if above or bellow the node they’ve said) then some say to remove everything bellow the choice you’ve made, some say leave it, some say cut threw the branches and leaves at the top as in threw the stems and stalks leaving little stumps, some say cut the lowest leaves in half through the leaves, I’m just confused a little bit on what to do, the yellow leaves at the bottom where touching the media and got grow neut on them when watering direct onto the leafs (oops) this won’t harm the plant will it,
    Thanks very much, happy growing!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3AB17988-2B92-4626-9240-34DBBE43CD7D.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	381564
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4C62E535-046D-46A4-A30C-6AACBF4617A0.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	381565
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43B9D451-D270-4735-8026-FF42105795DE.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	381563  

2. "I topped mine with atleast 4 nodes, either pinch them off or use clean scissors
    Everyone has there own ways

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gasher90 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-20), Jingo (12-04-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,978 Times
    Provided Answers: 2

I topped mine with atleast 4 nodes, either pinch them off or use clean scissors
    Everyone has there own ways

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Gasher90 (12-04-20), GEORGE (12-04-20)

Thanks

Cheers ‘funkysnair’, do you do anything with the bottom part mate as in remove leaves or cut leaves in half or anything or do you literally just top, thanks again!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gasher90 For This Useful Post:

funkydawg (12-04-20), GEORGE (12-04-20), Jingo (12-04-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,730 Times
    Provided Answers: 55

I prefer to top for the first time at the third or fourth node, right above and just barely below the node above it. I like to leave some stubby stem sticking up, it dies back slowly and on a fast-growing plant will scab over and make it tougher at the y. I've split a lot of plants and it seems like they split less when you leave some stem above the node.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

British green (13-04-20), Gasher90 (12-04-20), GEORGE (12-04-20), Kurdt (14-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gasher90 View Post
    Cheers ‘funkysnair’, do you do anything with the bottom part mate as in remove leaves or cut leaves in half or anything or do you literally just top, thanks again!
    Just top it then give it a week or so and top again, depends on how many tops you want.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Gasher90 (12-04-20), GEORGE (12-04-20)

Thanks

Yeah my first grow which went wrong split very bad but healed up and grew great (it was high temps mainly what helped me kill it) but I have topped with a stump on all 3 plants so fingers crossed, cheers!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gasher90 For This Useful Post:

funkydawg (13-04-20), GEORGE (13-04-20)

Thanks

Yeah my first grow which went wrong split very bad but healed up and grew great (it was high temps mainly what helped me kill it) but I have topped with a stump on all 3 plants so fingers crossed, cheers!
    You arnt the only one to split your plants, I tied mine down to tight come back in the next day and they had split about an inch down the middle of the Y.

Still managed to get nearly 3oz dry off it.

Good luck

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Gasher90 (21-04-20), GEORGE (13-04-20)

Thanks

I’ve topped them leaving on 4 nodes and I’ll see how it goes, and the first grow I done I ended with x4 pretty big thick main colas going straight up from basically just above the soil and I only remember topping once (I know it died in the end/I killed it), I split the main stem in half trying to tie it out open to allow more light in and pulled a bit hard but healed perfect and still grew but why would that have I ended with 4 colas growing from pinching the top off once?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gasher90 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-04-20)

Thanks

I’ve topped them leaving on 4 nodes and I’ll see how it goes, and the first grow I done I ended with x4 pretty big thick main colas going straight up from basically just above the soil and I only remember topping once (I know it died in the end/I killed it), I split the main stem in half trying to tie it out open to allow more light in and pulled a bit hard but healed perfect and still grew but why would that have I ended with 4 colas growing from pinching the top off once?
    You pinch the top once you get 2 main stems, would be easier to say what happened with pictures..

Could just have been the fact the other branches where the same hight after you topped it allowing them to get good light for bud growth.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkydawg For This Useful Post:

Gasher90 (13-04-20), GEORGE (13-04-20)