Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed Experienced Noob 15" x 17" x 17" LED Stealth SCROG

Thanks

Default Advice Needed Experienced Noob 15" x 17" x 17" LED Stealth SCROG

Hey all!

I'll start of by saying I'm a returning member! Unfortunately after too many years, I can't remember my old account for the life of me!

After what feels like an eternity, I can finally get back to what I would easily call my favourite hobby!
    This time around I'm no longer graced with the ability to run a designated room in which I ran a 4'x4' with 600w HPS, 8 pot WILMA, clone station, veg area, RO system, controllers... I could go on . Instead, I have been relegated to a pokey little box!

Nevertheless, I love a good challenge and I know this community is home to such an endeavour. Creme de la creme, in my opinion.
    Preemptively, I'd like to thank anyone who graciously offers advice and guidance.

So after coming back, is it just me or has SCROG turn into more of a NOG (Net Of Green )?
    Years ago it used to be a rigid grid that you would weave the plant in and out of for a prolonged veg periodbut higher yield. It seems like everywhere I've looked up SCROG recently, people are just LST'ing them and chucking a net over it.

So What I need help with:-

1. The light. I was interested in LED's way back when Budmaster were still in business but the technology wasn't understood fully at the time.

The SpiderFarmer SF1000 caught my eye. Being able to dim it down to 40w and as high as 130w seems like something that could come in very handy with such low headroom in my groom. Obviously it won't get turned up anywhere near 130w but if I should need it to in the future then it is able.

I can DIY a light with guidance. Whichever is most efficient cost vs gain.

2. System.
    With little height, I need to make a wide area for the roots. I considered maybe a tray at the bottom of the groom filled with coco. Similar to a flower bed and let the roots roam free.

Would consider hydro if I can make it work.

I think I can sort the fan out relatively easily with a DIY fix.

Can't way to share my latest venture with you guys!

All the best and stay safe!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrFox For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-20), Tommy stoner (03-01-22), Valentina (13-04-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Talking

Welcome to the Talk DrFox, enjoy dude.

Thanks

Thanks hotshot, appreciate it brother.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFox For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-20)

Thanks

Check out our Sponsor Vivid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    Check out our Sponsor Vivid.

Had a look, they have a model that is similar specs to the Spider Farmer I'm looking at. The Vivid is dimmable from 60w - 150w, whereas the Spider Farmer is between 40w - 130w.

It's my first small grow and this is an educated guess but I think I'll more than likely need 40w and I don't want to buy a light that blinds them, so to speak

40w - 130w should be plenty in that space(?)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFox For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-20)

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DrFox View Post
    Had a look, they have a model that is similar specs to the Spider Farmer I'm looking at. The Vivid is dimmable from 60w - 150w, whereas the Spider Farmer is between 40w - 130w.

It's my first small grow and this is an educated guess but I think I'll more than likely need 40w and I don't want to buy a light that blinds them, so to speak

40w - 130w should be plenty in that space(?)
    Watts is not revelent any more in these new LED's, It is all about the PAR. These new LED's are putting out much more PAR than ever before. It is the PAR that burns your plants, if too much, or too close. It would be A good idea to get your self A PAR Meter so as to know where to set your lights in today's new tech. For example seedlings need 200 PAR or less, and plants 14 days or older, need 300 to 400 while in veg, and as the plant gets older, say 4 weeks, the Par can be bump up to 800 PAR, while no more than 1,000 PAR in flowering. NJMO
    Last edited by GEORGE; 12-04-20 at 09:41 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Cats (28-04-21), DrFox (12-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    Watts is not revelent any more in these new LED's, It is all about the PAR. These new LED's are putting out much more PAR than ever before. It is the PAR that burns your plants, if too much, or too close. It would be A good idea to get your self A PAR Meter so as to know where to set your lights in today's new tech. For example seedlings need 200 PAR or less, and plants 14 days or older, need 300 to 400 while in veg, and as the plant gets older, say 4 weeks, the Par can be bump up to 800 PAR, while no more than 1,000 PAR in flowering. NJMO

I thought u/mols was the latest measurement?

I was saying more along the lines of, the more watts I turn the driver up to, the more intense the light will be and considering i only have a limited amount of headroom, it may do damage if I can't dim any lower than 60 watts. More of a preventative measure as I haven't grown with LED's before

Directly beneath the light, the Spider Farmer claims 761 PPFD at a hanging height of 12", that's probably running at ~100w.

Here's the question though, the closer to the light they get, can I just turn the current going through the LED's down so the intensity is the same. Obviously I'll train them to keep an even canopy and keep them from getting too close.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFox For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrFox View Post
    I thought u/mols was the latest measurement?

I was saying more along the lines of, the more watts I turn the driver up to, the more intense the light will be and considering i only have a limited amount of headroom, it's going to do damage if I can't dim any lower than 40 watts.

Directly beneath the light, the Spider Farmer claims 761 PPFD at a hanging height of 12", that's probably running at ~100w.

Here's the question though, the closer to the light they get, can I just turn the current going through the LED's down so the intensity is the same. Obviously I'll train them to keep an even canopy and keep them from getting too close.
    That is PAR:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

DrFox (12-04-20)

Thanks

Yes you can do that. Here is A PPFD map I did with my cheap 115.00 dollar par meter. Now it is about 50+ numbers off the Company's PPFD Map, but they are using A very expensive one over 1,000 bucks or more, I'm sure. But these cheap one will give you an idea so where to put your lights during all stages of growing. This is my 400W Cobs.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

DrFox (12-04-20)

Thanks

Yeah man!

If its's 761 PPFD @ 12" using 100w, it'll be much higher PPFD at, say, 6".
    If, at 6", using 40w, it was kicking out 750 PPFD, there wouldn't be any damage.
    But if I could only dim it to 60w and that was producing 1100 PPFD, I could end up with some issues.

I don't know the parameters of heights with LED's, which is why I'd prefer to have the ability to drive my LED's on 40w.

Does that make sense? Bearing in mind, manufacturer recommends 12" hanging height. I have a total of 17"from top to bottom of my groom! haha

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFox For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-04-20)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast