Thread: First outdoor grow experiment need advice

Thanks

Default First outdoor grow experiment need advice

Hello, been on this forum years ago but forgot my account details, so here I am under a new alias..lol

I planted an auto today in a secluded area , straight into the soil bed I created, the seed was directly placed in the soil and watered. I usually transplant but thought I'd try something new .

It's going to be 20° to 16° here in the uk for a few weeks now so I'm paranoid of the sun drying out the seed or soil before it gets the chance to root up, any tips ? I've made a cage from sticks around the small bed to protect against pests and also a large salt ring about 10 inch away from the bed again to protect against slugs. Should I be checking every single day and topping up with water until she pops up ? Or should I now just leave her for a few days ? I've never planted straight into the soil outdoors before and it's hot here in Yorkshire at the minute, should I keep checking the soil as to make sure it doesn't get to dry ? . I've always grown indoors, done a few on the windowsill before but never outside from seed directly into a bed . The location is great so no issues there . Any help welcome. Will post some pics if she survives and begins the journey

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1980sORANGEoriginal For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-04-20), LewisR19 (15-04-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,563 Times

Hi mate, welcome again lol

I’m sure some of the mods may be able to help recover your old account if you can remember your username? They will soon be along I’m sure.

Il be looking at planting a auto or two, not just yet though. Can you get some sort of done over the top for a a week or two? like a pop bottle cut in half and sat over? That will keep humidity up. Aprt from that I can not help with anything else because I’ve never done one outside

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LewisR19 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-04-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

Hi mate, if you PM me any details you can remember on your old account I'll see what I can do
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-04-20), IceCalibur (16-04-20)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-04-20)

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about watering it every day. Those temperatures do not seem too high to me. What are your nighttime temperatures like? Generally there is a lot of dew that builds up and helps with moisture when you are outdoors. I would not put anything over them unless you can remove it every morning. If you do have a seed pop up, the increased heat inside a plastic container or covering might fry it when the midday sun arrives.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IvoryFlames For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (20-04-20)