Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What are those electric plug boards called?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,740 Times

I did a similar thing but I built a wall and put a bank of socket in. You should be using 2.5mm twin & earth to wire the sockets together and the same to the power source you are jacking into. Preferably, you should run the cable to your consumer unit and install a new breaker just for your room. A 20A would probably do it, depending on load.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

"Bees don't waste time explaining to flies why honey is better than shit."

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-04-20), Jackman (29-04-20), Mac (28-04-20), M_C (28-04-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

Fans don't use much wattage as far as I can tell. my 4" rhino uses 70w on high I think. Heaters use the most I bet. they range from 700w for a small oil filled to 2000w for a medium sized.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-04-20), Jackman (30-04-20), Mac (29-04-20)

Thanks

On a little side note, I have been conne;cting some extension leads with plugs and notic;ed that some leads don' have an earth wire. Hows that?
    Have a look at my 250w Growdrobe---> https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...owdrobe-please

Here's my new diary. Please pop in and help me out--> https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1069912633

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-04-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,588 Times

find out if its a ring or radial circuit.

i previously use 2 doubles on a main 32a ring but now use 1 double on standalone 16a radial. this has its own breaker and 2 plugs is enough for me with 2 lights.

what i do is run a timer contactor in 1 into 1 socket. it does upto 2 1000w lights on 1 socket. no need for 2 like some. the other socket i run a heavy duty extension to other side of room and that runs everything else from 4 plugs. but i plug a further 2 extensions into this to reach fans.
    i have another contactor which i plan o use in future with 4 lights so will evemtualy extend the radial to 2 doubles.one contactor on each with an extension on each.

a 32a circuit can take upto 7200w maxload.
    a 16a circuit can take up to 3600w maxload.

some things dont need an earth as it passes through the neutral. if you have cable like that, they are manly use for lighting @ 5amps or smaller devices.
    i suggest making sure your main extension is a heavy duty one. any extensions running from that one, will need to be checked to see if it suits the power needs.

studied electrical installations for help with grow but mainly for my offgrid future plans.

check the thickness of the cable you have there. the actually wire. earth will be thicker.

live wires are general 1mm for lighting on 5a breaker, 1.5mm for ring on 32a breaker and 2.5mm for radial on 16a breaker.

the 4 core yo have there is for main lighting circuits and switch. 3 core is for mains plug, so. find out thickness to find out the breaker you need to connect it to.
    2 core is only use on lamps of low wattage, dc systems from ceiling rose to holder.

hope this helps somewhat...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krofam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-04-20), Jackman (04-05-20)

Thanks

oh, and consumer control unit is what your looking for

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krofam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-04-20), Jackman (04-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,740 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Krofam View Post
    find out if its a ring or radial circuit.

i previously use 2 doubles on a main 32a ring but now use 1 double on standalone 16a radial. this has its own breaker and 2 plugs is enough for me with 2 lights.

what i do is run a timer contactor in 1 into 1 socket. it does upto 2 1000w lights on 1 socket. no need for 2 like some. the other socket i run a heavy duty extension to other side of room and that runs everything else from 4 plugs. but i plug a further 2 extensions into this to reach fans.
    i have another contactor which i plan o use in future with 4 lights so will evemtualy extend the radial to 2 doubles.one contactor on each with an extension on each.

a 32a circuit can take upto 7200w maxload.
    a 16a circuit can take up to 3600w maxload.

some things dont need an earth as it passes through the neutral. if you have cable like that, they are manly use for lighting @ 5amps or smaller devices.
    i suggest making sure your main extension is a heavy duty one. any extensions running from that one, will need to be checked to see if it suits the power needs.

studied electrical installations for help with grow but mainly for my offgrid future plans.

check the thickness of the cable you have there. the actually wire. earth will be thicker.

live wires are general 1mm for lighting on 5a breaker, 1.5mm for ring on 32a breaker and 2.5mm for radial on 16a breaker.

the 4 core yo have there is for main lighting circuits and switch. 3 core is for mains plug, so. find out thickness to find out the breaker you need to connect it to.
    2 core is only use on lamps of low wattage, dc systems from ceiling rose to holder.

hope this helps somewhat...
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but there are some errors.
    Earth doesn't go through a neutral, it would go bang if it did. The CPC(Earth) of a cable will never be thicker than a conductor(Live/Neutral)
    5a for lighting???

In general, A lighting circuit should be run in 1.5mm Twin & Earth on a 16a, a power circuit should be 2.5mm T&E on a 32a. Cookers and showers need their own supply to the consumer unit and require different size cable and breakers, depending on load.

It should all be protected by an RCD (Residual current device), that will trip in 30ms, should there be a fault. If you're in London, I can come & do it for you

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-05-20), Jackman (04-05-20)

Thanks

In a TN-C-S system the neutral and earth are combined within the supply and separate within the installation. bit high so got it mixed up as he was talking about a ccu.

my bad. i meant to say, smaller devices like lamps and chargers have 1mm cable and 3/5amp fuses. usually arent earthed at the plug and rely on fuse.

lighting circuit uses 1mm cables and there are usually 2 of them in a house to split the load incase one goes out you still got light in other half.
    1.5mm can be used on circuits with long runs. like in halls or in offices. or if you have fixtures with higher loads.

my bad on the earth cable size tho. i was thinking of something else.

im my house, i have 3x 6A breakers. 2 for lights and one for smoke detector. followed by a 63A rccb which connects to 3x 32A breakers. 1 is a ring circuit with 8 double soclets. 1 is for the cooker and the other is for the sockets in kitchen. next to that is 2x 16A breakers both feeding 16A radial circuits. on one is a sinlge plug in halways for hoovering and the other feeds 1 double, soon to be 2, in my grow room.

6a breakers are on 1mm, 2x 32a breakers are on 2.5mm cables with 1 on 6mm(cooker) and the 16a breakers are on 4mm.

done and certified early last year and again in december when i got new kitchen installed and had it all checked again.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krofam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-05-20), Jackman (04-05-20)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2