Thread: Help with should I go 6 or 8" fan.

Thanks

Default Help with should I go 6 or 8" fan.

Hello
    Trying to decide on what fan size to go with here.

I have a 2x4x6 (60cmx120cmx180xm) tent, At the moment I have a standard 5" rvk ac fan, the fan is situated in loft so ducting runs from CF in tent to fan in loft about 1.5m away.
    I have it on a decent no whine/hum controller and have it throttled back to about 40% speed, problem is the fan is fairly noisy still and at night you can hear it chugging away in the loft even tho it is suspended and covered to minimise noise.

I want to go with a new stealth EC fan with controller, What do ya'll think would be best, a 6" or a 8" and throttle it back even more? Will also get phonic ducting to go with it.. Don't mind the cost if it means I will have a very quiet setup.

I'm looking at either a Systemair Revolution Silenced Vector EC Fan in 6" or 8" or a TD-SILENT ECOWATT Mixed Flow Fan 6" or 8" with controller, any help with these 2?
    Just to say I did try a phresh stealth hyper fan 6" with controller but it seem to make a high pitched hum resonating through the walls.

Thanks all

2. The Following User Says Thank You to budjam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-04-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,563 Times

Best thing I ever did was built a silent box, put the fan in it, and then fill it with Styrofoam, its 95% quieter.

There's a guide on the forum somewhere, I'll try find it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roooot For This Useful Post:

budjam (29-04-20), GEORGE (29-04-20), tlh2496 (03-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,322 Times

Quote Originally Posted by roooot View Post
    Best thing I ever did was built a silent box, put the fan in it, and then fill it with Styrofoam, its 95% quieter.

Yeah I hear you bro best thing I done also no more humming for me

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenEm For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roooot View Post

Is there no risk of the fan overheating in a box? Especially if it’s an ac fan dialled back with a controller?
    Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to budjam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by budjam View Post
    Is there no risk of the fan overheating in a box? Especially if it’s an ac fan dialled back with a controller?
    Thanks
    The air that goes through the fan will carry the heat away, or at least it has done every time I've wrapped a fan.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Muttz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-06-20)

Thanks

I’d go for the 6inch in that size tent as the 8 might be a bit of overkill and be like a wind tunnel

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FatRoySlim For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-06-20)