Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: General Hydroponics EC low.

Thanks

Default General Hydroponics EC low.

Hi all

I'm currently using GE's Three part line up, Micro, Grow and Bloom. I'm using their nute calculator but the EC I arrive at is very low. Always around 1. I'm at week 4 in flower and ive been using some House and garden Top booster to get the ec to around 1.4 to 1.5 H&G superboost is basically PK13/14 with added iron. To get the EC to around 1.5 im having to add 40 to 60 ml of Top booster to a 30 Ltr tank. I think i should really be using the GH 3 part more to up the EC, but in what amount? Should I stick to GH's chart but add more of each part to maintain their ratio, or just add more GH bloom only?
    Last edited by stukaville; 02-05-20 at 05:01 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stukaville For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (24-06-20), GEORGE (03-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Nute companies charts are notorious for being next to useless... if the plant looks light green, up the EC... if it looks dark green & waxy, drop the EC down

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (24-06-20), GEORGE (03-05-20), twoeightwhiskey (07-01-21)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,618 Times

I always ran at about a max of 750 total dissolved solids which I believe converts over to a little bit more than 1 EC. Keeping the same ratios but adjusting the amounts up and down is a sound policy, but if your plants are looking good why not stick to the chart?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (24-06-20), GEORGE (03-05-20)

Thanks

Ah, I should of said Jingo. The plants on one side of my tent are looking pale yellow despite getting the same feed as the rest of the tent. All the plants are from identical clones. The only different is that the plants on the far left have a new 600w Green Power bulb over them. At first i thought they might be too close to the lights, but they're not any close than the ones on the far right, only difference being that new bulb. I think they have a nitrogen deficiency because a week ago I observed a few leafs with nute burn symptoms on the tips and some brown edges further up. I checked the run off from tap water and some were as high as EC 3 (PH 5.8 to 4.9). I put around 12 ltrs of tap into each pot and lowered the EC down to as low as 0.8, some only went as low as 1.4, I should of took notes on each plant. There is a chance that ive simply over flushed? But i also took a lot of fan leaves off all areas, so that could of also contributed ? If it is a nitrogen deficiency would you suggest upping the EC to around 1.6 by increasing all 3 (micro, grow, bloom) in the standard guide ratios or increase the nitrogen a little? If you need pics to help me i can take some. I did video the tent this morning but my lens kept steaming up because the camera was cold :-p

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stukaville For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (24-06-20), GEORGE (03-05-20), Jingo (03-05-20)

Thanks

Yeah some pictures would really help and I'd like to know more about your setup, if the pictures show it well enough that's good. What type of air pump are you using and how many liters per minute of air does it put out for plant?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (24-06-20), GEORGE (03-05-20), Lowrollerbean (03-05-20)

Thanks

Ok. I managed some pics just after lights off on my phone. (apologies for poor quality, couldn't find my Nikon. I think there is a chance you will look at these and ask yourself what nitrogen problem. They obviously looked much more washed out under HPS so i removed a single leaf before i posted yesterday , held it under the HPS light on the other side of the tent and it definately looked less green than the other plants. I was keen to try and remedy the situation so i added a little GHE Flora Grow to raise the ec from 1.4 to 1.5, just 10 ml. I fed the yellower plants last night and did about 10% run off. Could that possibly have greened the plants a little since i looked the day before or is there no way things can fix that quick?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200504_090259.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	382443 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200504_090311.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	382444

If you look at the area mid left you can see some of the leaves are a little washed out in appearance. Also, the bud formation is not what i'd hoped for at the start of week 5. Im couting from flip to 12/12. Given the small size of the flowers for 5 weeks in, maybe i should just work off being 3 weeks in instead since it took 2 weeks for see any flowers appearing?
    Last edited by stukaville; 04-05-20 at 10:50 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stukaville For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (24-06-20), GEORGE (04-05-20)

Thanks

By Air pump I take it you means fans? Ive got two big Sytemair RVKs connected to an Ecotecchnics fan controller. I'm also using CO2 set to 700 ppm.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stukaville For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stukaville View Post
    By Air pump I take it you means fans? Ive got two big Sytemair RVKs connected to an Ecotecchnics fan controller. I'm also using CO2 set to 700 ppm.
    Actually I was thinking you were in hydro when I talked about the air pumps. You must be doing coco? It's still a good idea to have a bubbler going in your reservoir that you're watering everything from if you don't use it all in the same day.

let me reread things a bit and study those pictures and I'll get back to you in a little while.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Okay, first off your plants look real good! Doing that well and running CO2 tells me you're not a novice. Something I've seen over the years is that different kinds of lights can show you different deficiencies when you're getting some photo inhibition. Often with LEDs you'll see the classic rust spots of the calcium deficiency, but I've seen all kinds of different deficiencies when you're getting photo inhibition. So what I might suggest is the plants under that green power bowl are actually getting a little bit more intensity than the others. it is such a little difference that I would probably go ahead and feed some calcium and magnesium, remember calcium is necessary to keep the plant looking green even when you're feeding lots of n. So I think with the next feeding I just give those plants a little cal/mag and keep everything else the same. If you continue having problems you might raise that one light up 2 in.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I usually count flower as beginning when the plants set nice little what I call button buds, usually around week two or three of 12/12.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (24-06-20), GEORGE (04-05-20), stukaville (05-05-20)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast