Thread: Jumper's Guide to Germinating in Coco

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

Default Jumper's Guide to Germinating in Coco

Hi All

I have been asked a few times how I germinate directly into Coco.

So, I thought I would knock together my method of germination.

1) Fill a glass with tap water and drop seed in. Check on the seed every 12 hours. A little flick will do. If it sinks, proceed to Step 2.

2) Gather your bits. You will need
    - scales
    - plastic pot
    - 3 part coco 1 part perlite mix
    - small biodegradable pot
    - 10ml syringe

3) The pot should weigh around 37g when full.

4) Add 30ml of premixed nutrients at an EC 0.2 @ ph 5.8.

5) Make a hole 3.5 cm deep. I like to use a chop stick.

6) Drop seed into hole and cover. I prefer to place the seed sideways if possible. Generally, this seem to stop them from growing the wrong way IME. Now place the pot in a plastic bag and leave to germinate in a propagator or on the back of a Sky box.

- Now wait till the seed pops up. If it take longer than 3 days, reweigh the pot and top up to 67g with your nutrient mix.

- Sorry no photo of her poking her head up. It was a nasty germination with her first going the wrong way, then getting the seed shell stuck and then her cotyledons were sealed shut! I had to take a blade to her!

6.5) Right, for me, final pot time. I only grow autos, so I prefer to not stress the plant again in her life.

- So I grab my Mykos, which I think does wonders, along with an empty airpot and more 3 part coco to 1 part perlite mix.

7) Fill the airpot (I use 3lt) 3/4 full and then sprinkle the Mykos.

8) Fill the airpot, and tap down several times to remove air pockets, fill again. Pre-charge the coco with 800ml of nutrient solution.

9) Grab the seedling out. (Runty little seedling this one!)

10) Now this step is important. More so for Auto Flowering strains. Remove the base. This will stop the plant stalling as the tap root grows down and hits, the still to degrade, pot.

11) Make a hole to accommodate the bio-degradable pot.

Add the seedling, and gently fill over. Drizzle 20ml of nute mix inside the biodegradable cup.

- I always feed inside the degradable cup until it degrades. This ensure the roots get the nutrients until the root system is better developed.

Well there you have it. I use this method every time and get rock solid germination results. IMO, many beginners drown the poor seedling before she gets a chance to pop her head above dirt.

I hope this helps some of you :-)
    Current Grow (3L coco autos) : Jumper's 2020 shenanigans

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

GanjaMon1 (07-05-20), GEORGE (05-05-20), Krofam (14-05-20), lipnobody (18-05-20), Lowrollerbean (05-05-20), Mac (05-05-20), MrC (05-05-20), M_C (05-05-20), newgrowerr (05-05-20), RASTA (05-05-20), riot (09-05-20), Shreder (05-05-20), Stickysticky (05-05-20), Subterranean Man (09-05-20), Vlad the Inhaler (15-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,502 Times

I'm Sure this will help people out mate, nice one. I might give them airports a whirl actually not this time like as I won't get them in time but for sure for next time. I don't know why I haven't bought them already to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stickysticky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-05-20), Jumper114 (05-05-20), Lowrollerbean (05-05-20), Mac (05-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stickysticky View Post
    I'm Sure this will help people out mate, nice one. I might give them airports a whirl actually not this time like as I won't get them in time but for sure for next time. I don't know why I haven't bought them already to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks!

You won’t regret the purchase! I occasionally need to lift my girls out of the groom, so I prefer the rigid structure of the airpots. No chance to upset the roots.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-05-20), lipnobody (18-05-20), Mac (05-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,200 Times

Nice and informative jumper, kind of you to take the time and share this...Thanks and stay safe

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lowrollerbean For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-05-20), Jumper114 (05-05-20), lipnobody (18-05-20), Mac (05-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper114 View Post
    Hi All

I have been asked a few times how I germinate directly into Coco.

So, I thought I would knock together my method of germination.

1) Fill a glass with tap water and drop seed in. Check on the seed every 12 hours. A little flick will do. If it sinks, proceed to Step 2.

2) Gather your bits. You will need
    - scales
    - plastic pot
    - 3 part coco 1 part perlite mix
    - small biodegradable pot
    - 10ml syringe

3) The pot should weigh around 37g when full.

4) Add 30ml of premixed nutrients at an EC 0.2 @ ph 5.8.

5) Make a hole 3.5 cm deep. I like to use a chop stick.

6) Drop seed into hole and cover. I prefer to place the seed sideways if possible. Generally, this seem to stop them from growing the wrong way IME. Now place the pot in a plastic bag and leave to germinate in a propagator or on the back of a Sky box.

- Now wait till the seed pops up. If it take longer than 3 days, reweigh the pot and top up to 67g with your nutrient mix.

- Sorry no photo of her poking her head up. It was a nasty germination with her first going the wrong way, then getting the seed shell stuck and then her cotyledons were sealed shut! I had to take a blade to her!

6.5) Right, for me, final pot time. I only grow autos, so I prefer to not stress the plant again in her life.

- So I grab my Mykos, which I think does wonders, along with an empty airpot and more 3 part coco to 1 part perlite mix.

7) Fill the airpot (I use 3lt) 3/4 full and then sprinkle the Mykos.

8) Fill the airpot, and tap down several times to remove air pockets, fill again. Pre-charge the coco with 800ml of nutrient solution.

9) Grab the seedling out. (Runty little seedling this one!)

10) Now this step is important. More so for Auto Flowering strains. Remove the base. This will stop the plant stalling as the tap root grows down and hits, the still to degrade, pot.

11) Make a hole to accommodate the bio-degradable pot.

Add the seedling, and gently fill over. Drizzle 20ml of nute mix inside the biodegradable cup.

- I always feed inside the degradable cup until it degrades. This ensure the roots get the nutrients until the root system is better developed.

Well there you have it. I use this method every time and get rock solid germination results. IMO, many beginners drown the poor seedling before she gets a chance to pop her head above dirt.

I hope this helps some of you :-)
    nice guide

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GanjaMon1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-05-20), Jumper114 (14-05-20), lipnobody (18-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GanjaMon1 View Post
    nice guide
    Hopefully it helps someone ;-).

Thanks

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-05-20), lipnobody (18-05-20)