Thread: Nitrogen Toxicity or Under-watering?

Thanks

Default Nitrogen Toxicity or Under-watering?

Hi all,

I'll start by saying that I am a new grower so I still have a lot to learn. I have a young auto flower plant, 12 days from sprouting, that is showing clawing leaves: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0651.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	382612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	382613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0654.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	382614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	382615

Just the point of the leaf is curling down and after reading around looks like it could be nitrogen toxicity or under-watering. I then double-check everything I was doing and I discovered that I am giving her nutrient to early. I think that because I watered twice 1/2 litre of water with 1ml of Bio-Grow (NPK 4-3-6) and 1 ml of Acti-Vera, both Bio-Bizz product, from day 8. Also, the Canna Terra plus should have already 2 weeks of food in it. So I guess I fed her too early.

On the other hand, I am not sure I am watering right. First of all, as you could see the plant is already in a big 5-gallon fabric pot and because of that I was suggested to water just around the plant instead of soaking all the pot. Also, I am giving her half a litre every time the first 1/2 inches of the soil is dry which is every two days at the moment. I recently discovered that I should water more until I have 20% runoff. At the moment I did not notice any runoff at all.

The colour of the leaf does not seem a dark deep green as should be in nitrogen toxicity and it is strange to have this toxicity in the vegetative phase. The point of the leaf feels thin, almost crispy, at the touch. Moreover, the first two leaves do note seems to curl down as the top one.

I am waiting for the soil to be dry a little to flush with water until I see the runoff. I was watering with PH at 6.5 however I am switching to 6.2 because I read that Canna Terra prefer a lower PH although it's a soil mix. Temperature is always between 20 and 24.5 degrees. Humidity between 50 and 70%. There is good air flowing in the grow tent. The light is a Mars Hydro TS-600W at 50cm (20 inches) from the top of the plant and I am doing 18h on - 6h off.

Maybe I am just overthinking. I gave you as much information I could, if I missed something ask please.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAMEAT For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-05-20), millwall115 (07-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 11,941 Times

Underwatering is uncommon in early stage like that

Give 0.8 ec until it shows a lime color then up to 1.0

Edit:
    Is that soil? Than disregard what i said

Current grow https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...d.php?t=183445

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shreder For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,141 Times

Quote Originally Posted by JAMEAT View Post
    Hi all,

I'll start by saying that I am a new grower so I still have a lot to learn. I have a young auto flower plant, 12 days from sprouting, that is showing clawing leaves: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0651.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	382612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	382613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0654.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	382614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	382615

Just the point of the leaf is curling down and after reading around looks like it could be nitrogen toxicity or under-watering. I then double-check everything I was doing and I discovered that I am giving her nutrient to early. I think that because I watered twice 1/2 litre of water with 1ml of Bio-Grow (NPK 4-3-6) and 1 ml of Acti-Vera, both Bio-Bizz product, from day 8. Also, the Canna Terra plus should have already 2 weeks of food in it. So I guess I fed her too early.

On the other hand, I am not sure I am watering right. First of all, as you could see the plant is already in a big 5-gallon fabric pot and because of that I was suggested to water just around the plant instead of soaking all the pot. Also, I am giving her half a litre every time the first 1/2 inches of the soil is dry which is every two days at the moment. I recently discovered that I should water more until I have 20% runoff. At the moment I did not notice any runoff at all.

The colour of the leaf does not seem a dark deep green as should be in nitrogen toxicity and it is strange to have this toxicity in the vegetative phase. The point of the leaf feels thin, almost crispy, at the touch. Moreover, the first two leaves do note seems to curl down as the top one.

I am waiting for the soil to be dry a little to flush with water until I see the runoff. I was watering with PH at 6.5 however I am switching to 6.2 because I read that Canna Terra prefer a lower PH although it's a soil mix. Temperature is always between 20 and 24.5 degrees. Humidity between 50 and 70%. There is good air flowing in the grow tent. The light is a Mars Hydro TS-600W at 50cm (20 inches) from the top of the plant and I am doing 18h on - 6h off.

Maybe I am just overthinking. I gave you as much information I could, if I missed something ask please.
    If your in soil I would suggest forget pH. Any good soil will alter the pH. Also you don't won't to water to run off in soil. At the stage your at you want to water around the edge of the pot and get those roots searching for the water. When the plants start to go pale at the bottom then you want to start to introduce a feed. Start off low then gradually increase. I had a shit experience with biobizz so of any one on here with more experience in that range can give you advice.
    Go steady though as you can always add more feed but you can't take it out.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to millwall115 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-05-20), JAMEAT (07-05-20)

Thanks

Thank you for your advice! Since you had a bad experience with biobizz can you suggest another company? Should I then water just the edges of the pot leaving the center dry? Thanks

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAMEAT For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-05-20), millwall115 (07-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JAMEAT View Post
    Thank you for your advice! Since you had a bad experience with biobizz can you suggest another company? Should I then water just the edges of the pot leaving the center dry? Thanks
    I used plant magic a few times which I found OK. I've got a little 2 plant grow on now which I'm using Buddhas tree, organicus which I'm finding very good and very easy to use. It's a 1 part feed grow and flower. Start with 2ml per litre then gradually increase to no more than 4ml.

Yeah that's it make sure the pots are light then at the moment depending on what size pots your in but about 500ml around the edge. That's should be good for 2-3 days at this stage but every plant is different so that's just a guide. What I do is just spray the rest of the soil with a spray gun just to keep it moist.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to millwall115 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-05-20), JAMEAT (07-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 52,286 Times

Quote Originally Posted by millwall115 View Post
    I'm using Buddhas tree, organicus which I'm finding very good and very easy to use.
    I used that about 4 months ago using "our" water, Mill - horrific. Didn't get on with it at all.

I'm now using Plant Magic's non-organic range specifically for softwater and it is making a difference - not done a full cycle with it yet so don't quote me, but I'm much happier not using Organicus.
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/signaturepics/sigpic82640_3.gif

Neckbeard, cute dog, pansy-ass fuck* pursuing herb immunity since 1966

*TM. HazyClouds (RIP)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Herbitual For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herbitual View Post
    I used that about 4 months ago using "our" water, Mill - horrific. Didn't get on with it at all.

I'm now using Plant Magic's non-organic range specifically for softwater and it is making a difference - not done a full cycle with it yet so don't quote me, but I'm much happier not using Organicus.
    Lol. I seem to be doing OK but I'm only about 5 weeks In so nice one for the heads up. When I get back on I'm gonna go the coco route. See how I get on.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to millwall115 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-05-20)