Thread: DIY Attic Grow Space

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,778 Times

Default DIY Attic Grow Space

I’ve have done a few grows now using a tent in my garage with mixed results.

My last grow was my best but failed at the end. As the grow was in my garage I really struggled with controlling the temperature and particularly the cold as it was running into winter. In the end a couple of timer issues led to massive fluctuations in temps and very low temperatures causing the two girls to hermie. Smoke was ok but if you didn’t spend some time digging out the seeds you could get one in your j which would ruin the taste.

I’ve since had my attic decked out for storage purposes but after emptying my garage I have tonnes of space left up there so I have decided to build a little grow space up there large enough for 2-3 plants.

My aim is to keep it cheap, I’ll use my existing equipment where possible, must be able to take it down easily and don’t want to damage my house so will not be fixing be using the joists for anything other than hanging stuff off externally to the grow space.

Please feel free to tag along and give any advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chippy1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-05-20), MrC (12-05-20), RASTA (16-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,962 Times

Good luck mate, I fell pretty lucky with my room, really easy to control no matter which way the temp/hum swings. You think about building a simple wooden room in your garage that totally encloses the tent? Like a plywood shed with a door.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...y-photo-cherry Post 7

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Chippy1 (12-05-20), GEORGE (12-05-20), RASTA (16-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCannab1sir View Post
    Good luck mate, I fell pretty lucky with my room, really easy to control no matter which way the temp/hum swings. You think about building a simple wooden room in your garage that totally encloses the tent? Like a plywood shed with a door.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...y-photo-cherry Post 7
    Hey man, not something I’ve really though about as I’ve been trying to reduce what I have in my garage plus it can end up being a bit of communal area when I’ve had BBQs etc. There’s also smell issue to worry about in the garage where as in the attic the area I plan to locate the shape is on the non-neighbour side.

I do like the little room you’ve made, if my joists weren’t blocking the head space I would have done something similar I think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chippy1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-05-20), MrC (12-05-20), RASTA (16-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,962 Times

This is gonna be bespoke as fook Grab some pictures of your empty space when you get time, or can be arsed lol.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,141 Times

I used to grow in my loft with good success. But it is still a struggle. Abit like you discussed with your garage. In the winter its to cold and in the summer months to hot. It's was Impossible to grow through the summer. Temps were 40+c at times. Even with a fan Controller. I would in invest in a good fan controller. In the autumn, winter, spring you can get good environment conditions.
    Then you got the problem of getting the water up there.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to millwall115 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by millwall115 View Post
    I used to grow in my loft with good success. But it is still a struggle. Abit like you discussed with your garage. In the winter its to cold and in the summer months to hot. It's was Impossible to grow through the summer. Temps were 40+c at times. Even with a fan Controller. I would in invest in a good fan controller. In the autumn, winter, spring you can get good environment conditions.
    Then you got the problem of getting the water up there.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Yeah water is definitely on my mind. I think I’ll just have to lug a load of 5 litre bottles up there every few days and make sure I have ample spillage protection to protect my loft decking.
    We shall see. The main expense will be the reflective sheeting but a mate who’s just done a room has loads left over he said I can have so that’s a load saved

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippy1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-05-20)

Thanks

Apologies for the lack of input work has been very busy.

This is my attic. Base all decked out and electrics installed by certified electrician. It’s about 2m wide and 2m high in the middle. I have a small gap at the back which I could exhaust out of the roof as that’s the none neighbour side or alternatively there is a chimney but it’s sealed and I lack the knowledge to tap into that to exhaust into. The left side is north facing so I’d be getting my in air from the eves on that side

My two ideas for build would be vertical into sloped sides for a larger volume while keeping the base foot print 1.2mx1.2m and the height 1.55m

Option 2 is a 1.2mx1.2m base with sloped sides up to the same 1.55m height. Less internal volume but simpler build.

To keep cost down it would be simple wooden frame, sides filled in with insulation foam board and the internals covered with reflective sheeting. It will all sit on some underlay I have left over from carpets and base will be some left over loft boards.

Door will be a pain but think I’ll just go for two verticals with a board hinged to it and insulation foam attached to the board.

The wood for the frame, screws and angle plates would come out at about £40.
    Insulation foam around £75-£100 depending on how smartly I cut it.
    Reflective sheeting will depend on how much my mate has left over but with any luck nothing!!

Please let me know your thoughts or things I should do differently

Cheers

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chippy1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-05-20), RASTA (16-05-20)

Thanks

So I’ve made a basic frame and after getting hit on the head a lot I’ve got it built. I think the creation I had in my head probably should have stayed there as I’m not sure if it’s going to work in reality.

I am going to add some diagonal supports on the sides and a cross beam at the back. It’s going to be quite a snug little grow and I have no idea how I’m going to make a door

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chippy1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-05-20), Herbitual (23-05-20), tom222 (23-05-20)