Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st Grow In Soil

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,521 Times

Default 1st Grow In Soil

Hello,

I could do with some guidance friends.

I'm moving to a soil grow for the first time after years just doing hydro.

I'm just using pots & saucers with hand watering. I have Plagron Allmix that I'm going to do a 70/30 ratio mix with coco.

I bought some Shogun Coco nutes that are just one A&B across grow and bloom - the guy in my local store says this will be fine for soil / coco mix although I suspect they might be a bit stronger than terra nutes so I will proceed with caution. They have Shougun's Smart Zen or whatever it's called to make the water 'stick' to the coco, apparently.

I will probably incorporate a few relevant boosters, rhizotonic, PK etc although I will need to research best to use.

Does anyone have any comments on the above - does this sound ok? Is there anything I should be wary of, thinking about, have I missed anything etc? Also, any recommendations of products to use that would suit this approach?

Many thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dick_turpine For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,618 Times

Quote Originally Posted by dick_turpine View Post
    Hello,

I could do with some guidance friends.

I'm moving to a soil grow for the first time after years just doing hydro.

I'm just using pots & saucers with hand watering. I have Plagron Allmix that I'm going to do a 70/30 ratio mix with coco.

I bought some Shogun Coco nutes that are just one A&B across grow and bloom - the guy in my local store says this will be fine for soil / coco mix although I suspect they might be a bit stronger than terra nutes so I will proceed with caution. They have Shougun's Smart Zen or whatever it's called to make the water 'stick' to the coco, apparently.

I will probably incorporate a few relevant boosters, rhizotonic, PK etc although I will need to research best to use.

Does anyone have any comments on the above - does this sound ok? Is there anything I should be wary of, thinking about, have I missed anything etc? Also, any recommendations of products to use that would suit this approach?

Many thanks.
    Sounds like a good plan, the one difference you're going to find is you make adjustments rather slowly in soil. In hydro, if you had something really bad going on you change out your res and readjust your nutes and go right on through. but in soil, if you see a deficiency and you want to feed it you'll really have to come in well under what you think you're going to need for that deficiency and wait a few feedings for it to take effect. That does kind of change things bit.
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

dick_turpine (19-05-20), GEORGE (18-05-20), Quotientcatalysed (19-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Welcome to the Talk Dick, drop the Coco in the soil, and use peral lite or sand instead.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

dick_turpine (19-05-20), Quotientcatalysed (18-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 58,129 Times

I'd be a bit wary using shogun in soil, I'd go for a soil nutrients, this is what shogun says

SHOGUN has done it again.

Try this ground-breaking mix of minerals - it's designed specifically for coco.

The kit contains 2 EXCLUSIVE additives you won’t find elsewhere – ‘SmartZen Maximiser’ and ‘AquaZen Slow Water’.

It's unbeatable value, with a dilution rate of just 2 - 4ML per Litre!

With these two unique additives and staggering results, SHOGUN Samurai is the one to beat!

You'll get a complete A + B set – used together they’re a nutrient powerhouse!

From behind the bushes

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Easy-T For This Useful Post:

dick_turpine (19-05-20), GEORGE (18-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    Sounds like a good plan, the one difference you're going to find is you make adjustments rather slowly in soil. In hydro, if you had something really bad going on you change out your res and readjust your nutes and go right on through. but in soil, if you see a deficiency and you want to feed it you'll really have to come in well under what you think you're going to need for that deficiency and wait a few feedings for it to take effect. That does kind of change things bit.
    Hey Jingo,

Thanks for your response, yeah it's going to be a learning curve alright but I'm hoping it will work the other way too and maybe a bit of a smoother process, less technical maybe a bit of a more mellow? Less noisy pumps too lol. Already loving mixing up the substrate, getting ready to introduce my new clones; feels a bit more like gardening!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dick_turpine For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-05-20), Jingo (18-05-20)

Thanks

Hey Easy,

Yeah, I have my doubts when I'm using 75% soil, seems more sensible to use a nutrient designed for soil. Would you recommend organic or mineral in this kind if set-up?

Thanks.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dick_turpine For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Hotshot, would you just replace the coco with about 25% perlite instead. Thinkin bout it, I think the allmix has some perlite in it already.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dick_turpine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dick_turpine View Post
    Thanks Hotshot, would you just replace the coco with about 25% perlite instead. Thinkin bout it, I think the allmix has some perlite in it already.
    Yes, but don't think you need that much, 20% would be good. Better drain and your roots will move around the perlite, as where the Coco, just wants you to feed and water it. lol I'd recommend Tiger Bloom, that is mosly all I use. It however does have A small amount of Salt, but doesn't me, but does bother some on here.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

dick_turpine (19-05-20), Greengrass (28-05-20), Jingo (19-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,404 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-T View Post
    I'd be a bit wary using shogun in soil, I'd go for a soil nutrients, this is what shogun says

SHOGUN has done it again.

Try this ground-breaking mix of minerals - it's designed specifically for coco.

The kit contains 2 EXCLUSIVE additives you won’t find elsewhere – ‘SmartZen Maximiser’ and ‘AquaZen Slow Water’.

It's unbeatable value, with a dilution rate of just 2 - 4ML per Litre!

With these two unique additives and staggering results, SHOGUN Samurai is the one to beat!

You'll get a complete A + B set – used together they’re a nutrient powerhouse!

From behind the bushes
    Shouldn't make any difference at all,I used to use Ionic Hydro in coco,my friend that recommended it to me used Ionic Hydro in soil and had fantastic results,I honestly think the medium specific feeds are just marketing ploys.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scoot For This Useful Post:

dick_turpine (19-05-20), GEORGE (19-05-20), Greengrass (28-05-20), Jingo (19-05-20)

Thanks

Thanks Hotshot

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dick_turpine For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-05-20), Greengrass (28-05-20), Jingo (28-05-20)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast