Thread: Ballast to bulb shielded cable recommendations

Thanks

Default Ballast to bulb shielded cable recommendations

Lumatek 600W 400v ballast.
    Adjustawings cable was quite long (3M i think) so thought about shortening it, as I only need about 50cm really. Opened up the connection box, noticed no ground wire in there?
    For the cable, would something like "Belden 83803 3 core double shielded" be ideal, considering its running 400V? Adjustawings' cable seems quite thin in comparison to Lumatek's shielded cable which it plugs into.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ploppyboom For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-05-20), Mac (22-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,735 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ploppyboom View Post
    Lumatek 600W 400v ballast.
    Adjustawings cable was quite long (3M i think) so thought about shortening it, as I only need about 50cm really. Opened up the connection box, noticed no ground wire in there?
    For the cable, would something like "Belden 83803 3 core double shielded" be ideal, considering its running 400V? Adjustawings' cable seems quite thin in comparison to Lumatek's shielded cable which it plugs into.
    You really just need to look at the watts that you're drawing, and that 12 gauge cable you're thinking of buying would be perfect, you could probably get by with 14 gauge especially if you're shortening things.

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

British green (21-05-20), GEORGE (21-05-20), Mac (22-05-20)

Thanks

Oh yeah, I don't worry about a ground on a light on the ceiling, but if I'm going to be touching my grow light while I'm standing in or near water I want the thing grounded.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

British green (21-05-20), GEORGE (21-05-20), Mac (22-05-20), tlh2496 (21-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    You really just need to look at the watts that you're drawing, and that 12 gauge cable you're thinking of buying would be perfect, you could probably get by with 14 gauge especially if you're shortening things.
    How would one ground the shielding and the reflector using a shielded cable?
    A separate wire to ground from both, or is the ground coming in from ballast sufficient?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ploppyboom For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-05-20), Jingo (21-05-20), Mac (22-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ploppyboom View Post
    How would one ground the shielding and the reflector using a shielded cable?
    A separate wire to ground from both, or is the ground coming in from ballast sufficient?
    I tried to look up the grounding specs on Digikey they're usually pretty good about that kind of stuff but they didn't have anything, but I would imagine that cable is grounded on the end that you plug into your electrical outlet and you would probably ground the other shielding to the chassis. Then here in the states you would ground the regular 12 gauge wire to the ground screw which is probably just hooked directly to the chassis.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-05-20), Mac (22-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    I tried to look up the grounding specs on Digikey they're usually pretty good about that kind of stuff but they didn't have anything, but I would imagine that cable is grounded on the end that you plug into your electrical outlet and you would probably ground the other shielding to the chassis. Then here in the states you would ground the regular 12 gauge wire to the ground screw which is probably just hooked directly to the chassis.
    Towards the bulb, Lumatek's ballast has a lead and an IEC connection. Shielded cable would then plug into this IEC connector and go to the bulb. This connector has live, neutral & earth. Considering there's a voltage increase between mains & bulb leads, I would really appreciate some advice how to handle shielding/grounding the bulb lead correctly, if this brings any benefits.

Options are:
    To not expose shielding to ground at all (And optionally wire ground to the reflector), or
    To connect the bulb lead ground to both shielding and the reflector or
    To connect shielding and the reflector to an independent ground point (this may cause RFI feedback loops perhaps?)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ploppyboom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Single Earthing point if you have an TN-S or TN-CS electrical supply. Never add another Earth point.

Any exposed metal must be at earth potential. Get some pics up so we can see the flex and connections.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post: