Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Advice/confirmation needed using a 60l bucket of water for soil

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    Okay, well what I meant by hand watering is you have a nutrient mix in a bucket and you scoop out of there and you just water with your scoops. So for me that means two solo cups which are about a liter a piece and I'll pour two of those into a pot of coco and then just dump two more and two more so those six liters get in real quick in a big pot of coco, but in soil I would put two liters in one plant go to the next and put in two liters and then to the next and then I'd circle back and I would keep on doing that until I got run off. The difference is soil likes a slower more deliberate soaking whereas coco seems to be able to take a flood and prefer a flood.

One possible benefit of having a reservoir and a hose as you could get an air pump and keep air running in that reservoir 24 hours a day and then every time you went to pump it out to your plants they would get extra oxygen in their water which would help a lot.

Since you are doing soil you will probably not be mixing big reservoirs of water unless you want to put a little pump down in the bottom and say run a half inch line out with a little shut-off on the end and then you could actually have a hose and just water all your plants with a hose I kind of like doing that. I especially like doing that if it has a nice little shower head on the end I think that works really well.

Thanks for such an extensive and informative reply Jingo.

I was going to purchase a 5l watering can with a long spout. Do you think that's fine for the 3 rooted clones in about to get or get a 6 litre for when they're bigger so I can feed them 2l each like you said?

I have a water reserve that I keep air pumped with a stone & kept at the right temp with an aquarium heater.

Do you think in due course I'll be better off mixing my nutrients into the big 60l bucket reserve I have? In their prime do you know how much they take each? I hear it's roughly 2l. So if I wanted to save time and effort each feed could I prepare the mix for a week whilst using an airstone & heater and would I just measure the ppm, EC & PH per litre and say I wanted 10 litre for the week, I would times whatever nutes dosage by 10?
    Or would it be better to mix it every feed so you don't have to mix PH up & down potentially in the same mix, Incase condensation from the heater in the bucket or something messes with it?

Thanks again man.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cannathusiast For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-05-20), Greengrass (29-05-20), Jingo (29-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,618 Times

In soil I think it is best to keep it simple. So I never pH my feeds when I'm in soil and I don't have any trouble. I do have hard well water that's rather high EC even after it comes through the softener so I tend to use reverse osmosis water for most of my waterings. The pH of my well water out of the tap is 7.2 and the pH of my reverse osmosis water is 6.8 and I never check the pH of the nutrient mix once I mix everything up.

I know there's a lot of stuff that has been written about cold water shocking the plants roots and stunting them, but I've never found my water to be cold enough to shock or stunt anything. So for that reason I think a heater in your reserve tank might actually invite more problems than it would solve, anaerobic bacteria become a greater issue at higher temperatures and you require more oxygen pumped through the water to keep them at bay.

You can mix up a weak nutrient mixture and feed every single time you water, that's essentially what I do when I grow outdoors. After a certain time of summer every mixture has feed, but I think that's a little bit more advanced than is wise at this point. I would recommend that you have a bucket with nutrient mix and then your regular water reserve, you feed with your nutrient mix once every two or three feedings and use water from your reserve on the others.

I used to use about a 6-L watering can and I kind of liked it, but it all depends upon how long the spout is and the angles you have to work with in your pouring and everything like that. So you just have to try and see.

"If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-05-20), Greengrass (29-05-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    In soil I think it is best to keep it simple. So I never pH my feeds when I'm in soil and I don't have any trouble. I do have hard well water that's rather high EC even after it comes through the softener so I tend to use reverse osmosis water for most of my waterings. The pH of my well water out of the tap is 7.2 and the pH of my reverse osmosis water is 6.8 and I never check the pH of the nutrient mix once I mix everything up.

I know there's a lot of stuff that has been written about cold water shocking the plants roots and stunting them, but I've never found my water to be cold enough to shock or stunt anything. So for that reason I think a heater in your reserve tank might actually invite more problems than it would solve, anaerobic bacteria become a greater issue at higher temperatures and you require more oxygen pumped through the water to keep them at bay.

You can mix up a weak nutrient mixture and feed every single time you water, that's essentially what I do when I grow outdoors. After a certain time of summer every mixture has feed, but I think that's a little bit more advanced than is wise at this point. I would recommend that you have a bucket with nutrient mix and then your regular water reserve, you feed with your nutrient mix once every two or three feedings and use water from your reserve on the others.

I used to use about a 6-L watering can and I kind of liked it, but it all depends upon how long the spout is and the angles you have to work with in your pouring and everything like that. So you just have to try and see.

Thanks for that info.

Do you not worry about your PH at all because of the osmosis water or do you just kinda of know where abouts it's going to be every time from the amount you put in the mix?

I feel a little skeptical about the water heater now, it's only a 100w one. It's say at about 23 at the moment as for where it the groom is it's kinda cold & water left in the reserve without a heater is about 11oc and feels cold to touch.

If that's the case with bacteria with the heater do you think it would be wise to replace the water ever 5 days rather than 7? And is my airstone enough to airate it? It's a 5in disc one.

Thanks man you are so informative.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cannathusiast For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-05-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,618 Times

Well 11° c is kind of cold, and 23 isn't all that hot. So maybe just an extra air stone in there would be good enough and stay the way you are.

You will find that the oldest most experienced growers on the forum will pretty much universally not pH their feeds in soil. It matters far more how and when you apply your nutrients and your watering then what the pH is going in, when dealing with soil.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Cannathusiast (03-06-20), GEORGE (29-05-20)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2